Low Fat, Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce?

Options
kaylahardison
kaylahardison Posts: 141 Member
Any recipes for a healthy spaghetti sauce to put over my whole wheat noodles?

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I prefer Bolognese sauce with an al dente Semolina-based Rigatoni:

Regular marinara is more simple... onion & garlic sweated in a pan with olive oil, maybe some carrot or celery, canned plum tomatoes in juice, a bit of tomato paste, salt & pepper, then finish with fresh basil. The trick is to first "sweat" the veg (no color, just make them soft) then follow this up with a long gentle simmer, but not too long where it burns or over reduces the tomatoes.
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    Thank you!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No salt added tomato sauce with garlic, onion, oregano (or italian spice mix) and chile flakes. My husband and I make our own sauce every time and it's always delicious!
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    This seems super simple! I like simple!! haha
  • melinda3850
    melinda3850 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    onions, capsucims or for americans..... peppers, garlic, dried italian herbs, can of low salt diced tomatoes and a bit of sweet chilli sauce.

sweat off onions and garlic, add diced capsicums, cook for 5 minutes. add tomatoes and dried herbs, simmer untill reduced and all as much chilli sauce as you like... im usually 1/3 of a bottle.

this is my go to sauce, i have it on everything when i make a massive batch. superb on grilled chicken and steak or placed on veggies and even in pasta.

tomatoes are super good for you and chilli kick starts your metabolism.

ENJOY :)