No motivation for strength training.

Options
I'm having wicked issues with getting the motivation to strength train. The reason is I could notice the change so fast with losing the weight. I know it will take awhile to notice the change in the toning. So....now having issues doing it.

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would do a mix of lifting and cardio. Lifting will help your metabolism more in the long run and lifting burns calories even after you are done. Plus, when you loose weight, the muscles will be there already.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do you already have a strength training program you plan to follow?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Look at your progress a different way.

I find strength training much easier to see progress in than weight loss.
    I started SL 5x5 with the bar, now I can squat 150 lbs.
    The first time I tried to pull up from a dead hang, I couldn't budge from the bottom, now I can pull up from a dead hang to my nose.
    Every time you move up in weight or reps, that is measurable progress.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Training takes a lot of work to see demonstrable progress. If you don't enjoy the process, you're just making yourself miserable.

(this is all just my opinion, of course)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I fell like I see my best results when I do a combo of both. If you're not a fan of traditional strength training what about some group classes like Kettlebell, TRX, Barry's Bootcamp, Orange Theory, Dethrone, etc. I like to mix it up with classes and weight room stuff. I also track everything so I can see where I have improved which is also motivating.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Get on a good progressive training program. For me the motivation really kicked in when my numbers increased. It feels good to lift heavy *kitten*

Alternatively, you could always check out boot camp style or circuit training classes. They are typically fast paced, social and incorporate weights. May be more to your liking
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Get on a good progressive training program. For me the motivation really kicked in when my numbers increased. It feels good to lift heavy *kitten*

Alternatively, you could always check out boot camp style or circuit training classes. They are typically fast paced, social and incorporate weights. May be more to your liking

all this...

what are you currently doing for a program...

It will take a while if you are doing low weights high reps.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with my rec room, I literally glare at the door every time I pass by it, but the funny thing is that I love lifting and I love running.

I honestly don't think anyone really starts out absolutely loving their workouts. It takes time and work and dedication and commitment to stick to it and eventually you realize it's something you feel like you can't live with out.

When I started running I walked more than I actually ran and I my run was probably better described as a fast walk but I was out there and I was trying. I really had to make myself go for a run and probably despised every second of it but still I stuck with it. The same with lifting, I hated it. I hated how heavy everything was, how it was hard to lift things that seemed like they should have been easy, how I always had to pay attention to my form and my hand placement and my feet. But I stuck with that too, because I wanted my body to not just look good but feel good and I knew that was how I was going to reach my goals.

Now, I love running and I get excited about lifting. I love the feel of the wind in my face, the burn in my calves, and the sound of my favorite tunes playing in my ears. I love that I went from running a mile in 30 minutes to running a 5k in 20 minutes. I went from barely being able to lift 5-8lbs over my head to being able to life 40lbs like it's nothing. I love that burn I get in every muscle group after lifting, I like feeling that tingle when I up the weight, and I love looking in the mirror after a month of hard work and seeing all the subtle changes. My husband tells me that it sounds like a weird party going on when I workout. He says that I grunt and growl and whoop and holler, like I'm having a terrible time and then suddenly its the best day of my life lol, and sometimes it feels like that for me too.

Though I hate the room and I hate how long the process takes and sometimes I hate that I have to be patient before I see results, I also love the process. I love being able to tell my husband how much I lifted that day or how far and how fast I ran. I like looking in the mirror and noticing the changes, or comparing current to old pictures and barely being able to recognize myself. I walk in that room every evening determined to rock every workout, giving it as much as I can give, and ending it completely tired and warn and satisfied because I gave it my all.

So yes the process is long and it takes time but so does losing weight, but if you ask anyone who lifts, they'll tell that's it's all worth it. When I started, both running and lifting, I told myself I'll stick with it for a month and if I still don't like it then I'll stop and I find something else. I honestly didn't completely like either at the end of the month, but I had begun to like them enough that I knew I wanted to continue doing them.

I wouldn't give it up so quickly if I were you, stick with it. Find a program the suits you and your goals. Don't give it up until you've completely decided that it's not for you and it doesn't work for your fitness and health goals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You will feel the changes before they become visually noticeable but you have to want to make the change. It's a marathon not a sprint.....
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for? Agree with previous - more motivating for me to set training goals and work towards them. Changes in your body will accompany.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with my rec room, I literally glare at the door every time I pass by it, but the funny thing is that I love lifting and I love running.

I honestly don't think anyone really starts out absolutely loving their workouts. It takes time and work and dedication and commitment to stick to it and eventually you realize it's something you feel like you can't live with out.

When I started running I walked more than I actually ran and I my run was probably better described as a fast walk but I was out there and I was trying. I really had to make myself go for a run and probably despised every second of it but still I stuck with it. The same with lifting, I hated it. I hated how heavy everything was, how it was hard to lift things that seemed like they should have been easy, how I always had to pay attention to my form and my hand placement and my feet. But I stuck with that too, because I wanted my body to not just look good but feel good and I knew that was how I was going to reach my goals.

Now, I love running and I get excited about lifting. I love the feel of the wind in my face, the burn in my calves, and the sound of my favorite tunes playing in my ears. I love that I went from running a mile in 30 minutes to running a 5k in 20 minutes. I went from barely being able to lift 5-8lbs over my head to being able to life 40lbs like it's nothing. I love that burn I get in every muscle group after lifting, I like feeling that tingle when I up the weight, and I love looking in the mirror after a month of hard work and seeing all the subtle changes. My husband tells me that it sounds like a weird party going on when I workout. He says that I grunt and growl and whoop and holler, like I'm having a terrible time and then suddenly its the best day of my life lol, and sometimes it feels like that for me too.

Though I hate the room and I hate how long the process takes and sometimes I hate that I have to be patient before I see results, I also love the process. I love being able to tell my husband how much I lifted that day or how far and how fast I ran. I like looking in the mirror and noticing the changes, or comparing current to old pictures and barely being able to recognize myself. I walk in that room every evening determined to rock every workout, giving it as much as I can give, and ending it completely tired and warn and satisfied because I gave it my all.

So yes the process is long and it takes time but so does losing weight, but if you ask anyone who lifts, they'll tell that's it's all worth it. When I started, both running and lifting, I told myself I'll stick with it for a month and if I still don't like it then I'll stop and I find something else. I honestly didn't completely like either at the end of the month, but I had begun to like them enough that I knew I wanted to continue doing them.

I wouldn't give it up so quickly if I were you, stick with it. Find a program the suits you and your goals. Don't give it up until you've completely decided that it's not for you and it doesn't work for your fitness and health goals.

This was very well-put. I think many of us go through those phases. I started my weightloss journey mostly by walking...then a little jogging/elliptical....then mountain biking....now weight-training....And I like all of them. I now mostly concentrate on morning walks, weekly mountain bike rides, and a weight-lifting program. There's no Exercise Police that will come after you if you move from one thing to another. Try things out, but remember that it's good to give things a fighting chance (i.e. like more than one time), and note that your interests may change over time as you progress.

I will say that I wish I started weight-lifting long before I did. As someone described it on these forums, if you don't integrate weight-lifting/resistance training to maintain your muscle mass while you're losing weight, you'll go from being a fat marshmallow to a skinny marshmallow. And you'll end up where SO MANY of us (me included!) ended up, just look at the forums: "I'm skinny-fat, what do I do???"
  • BabyDollSaxon
    BabyDollSaxon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a training program. I know I need to do it cause I have to tone the rest of me. Ya....I lost 61lbs and 19 inches all around....but I still have the flappy skin that needs to go away. I honestly don't know where to start. I love cardio, I have no issues with that at all. But to do Pushups or dumbbells or barbells just, groan.....I can do this. I know I can. But I don't like it at all. I just need help getting motivated to do it.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Physical changes from strength training come slow for women. If you look in my photos you'll see a back photo from a year ago (the purple sport bra) which you can compare to my current profile photo which is from a couple weeks ago. While you're waiting for you body to manifest changes, like others have mentioned, you focus on what your body can DO (ie more weight on the barbell or getting that first pullup).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love it. Especially the comments from much bigger guys (I'm 5'3 and 120) who say "I wish I could leg press that much!" I love challenging myself to squeeze out a few more reps or lift a little heavier. Those are the motivating numbers for me as opposed to the scale. Regardless of what the scale says, I know I'm getting stronger and stronger.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    With lifting, you'll feel the progress long before you see it in the mirror.

There's just something about loading a heavy barbell with plates onto your shoulders or the first time you deadlift your own weight that makes you feel like a total bada$$. It really does so much for your confidence.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You gotta at least try it! It's so much fun. And you see even bigger changes with lifting, as you can literally change the composition of your body. My scale is not moving right now (mind you I'm in maintenance, you'll still lose on a deficit), but I have all these little bumps and bit of definition that I'd never have if I had not saved muscle.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was in the same place. It is especially hard in the summer when I'd prefer to be outside. I joined a training program, but that is not an option for everyone. Other have had some really good ideas that I am going to consider in the future.