Sabotaging my weight loss?

Options
Megan__Marie
Megan__Marie Posts: 182 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
Has anyone else felt that a close friend or family member may be trying to sabotage your weight loss? If so how are you dealing with it?

My sister and I have always been close in weight, but I have always been just a little heavier. I've recently lost a decent amount of weight, (I'm not done yet but am working hard toward my goal.) She noticed my weight loss and I made the mistake of telling her that I now weigh 10 pounds less than she does. She keeps trying to get me to eat the unhealthy foods that I love, but have been very good about staying away from these past few weeks. Today, she stopped by my job with a milkshake that is over 900 calories! She could just be trying to be nice. I know that it is ultimately up to me to be strong and say no, but sometimes it's so hard. How should I go about dealing with this?

Replies

• alexislucas84
    alexislucas84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretend your drinking it though the straw and when she leaves toss it. One time, a coworker brought me 2 slices of pizza to me at my desk and when he left...... I put the pizza in my desk and threw the plate away to make it look like I gobbled it up. Stay strong!
  • Megan__Marie
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice! I didn't want to be rude by telling her I wasn't going to drink it. I also felt bad that she wasted her money on something I didn't want.
  • jafrab
    jafrab Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also..have bought unhealthy food and sadly gotten rid of it. I too love tasty unhealthy foods at times but its NOT worth it. All the cellulite and rolls literally gross me out when I reflect upon the choices I have and make. I dont promote wasting food but simply surround your new self with delicious crispy fruits and vegetables. Stay away from fried foods.. I am also working on this
  • Jbubello
    Jbubello Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds like sabotage to me. It's weird how people react to one's weight loss, has she said how good you look? Maybe not, either way that tactic is cruel. I'd tell her kindly how committed you are to a healthy lifestyle, thanks for the 900 cal shake, but no thanks!
  • Megan__Marie
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the good advice! Jafrab, your right, the unhealthy foods really aren't worth it. I may feel bad wasting food, but I think I would feel that much worse actually eating the food.
    Jbubello, no she hasn't said that I look "good" just that she could tell I had lost some weight. I love my sister and she's not a mean person, she just hasn't started her own journey to a healthier lifestyle yet. She's talked about it, but hasn't acted on it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Nobody can actually sabotage you, unless you let them.
    She can bring you 500milk shakes but its up to you if you drink them or not.
    I would just say thank you and take a few sips then toss it if it doesn't fit in your calories.
    If this continues, you could explain that these drinks dont fit into your daily calories and you are appreciative but cant accept them. She'll definitely get the hint . Honestly, if this becomes a constant occurrence then i think you should talk with her about it.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It is a passive aggressive jealous activity. My SO does this all the time. He says he supports my diet, then in the next breathe asks me if I want to go to DQ for a cone! Sometimes I fall into it. It is a habit.

I believe my SO wants me to stay fat and unattractive to other men. He feels more secure. He is a major feeder! If I listened to him I would weigh 500 pounds! He equates food with love, so he always asks me if I am hungry. He brings home treats, like Butter Pecan ice cream, orders my favorite pizza for me as a surprise, and then acts hurt if I get mad...or don't want or eat what he bought. It is a messed up dynamic. He has finally learned that I will hug him and throw the ice cream in the fridge. He no longer gets mad, if I don't eat it. And I don't get mad for him buying it. I tell him to buy me jewelry instead. Ha ha!
  • Megan__Marie
    Options
    Thorsmom01 and softblondechick thank you guys so much for your great advice... I'll definitely be having a talk with my sister.