Cheap and Easy Sandwhich / Wrap ideas for lunch?

Options
BrettAB54
BrettAB54 Posts: 3 Member
Hey! So I'm trying to find wraps and sandwiches with a good balance between interesting/unique and easy / cheap. I don't really want to spend a whole day crock potting and cooking ingrediants, But at the same time, turkey and ham from the meat section is a little TOO easy and too simple. Any suggestions that won't break the bank or kitchen to make?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I wrapped cheese and leftover lentil stew in a thin wheat wrap and froze them. I just finished my last one today. So leftovers. Cheap, easy, and no extra crock potting.
    Tuna salad.
    Peanut butter and banana.
    Egg salad (my personal yuck but perhaps you like it).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    But the crock pot is soooo easy and doesn't require any attention once you turn it on. :smile: I like to make something like chili in a double or triple batch and then we eat the leftovers for a few days.

My lunches are often something like tuna, mayo or Miracle Whip and diced cucumbers, some onion and garlic powder for seasoning. I eat it with a fork but you could also put it in a wrap. You can also add pasta (bow-tie or elbow) to it for a nice salad. It's refreshing, especially in the summer. Again, you could make a big batch and eat it for a few days but it may not freeze well because of the cukes.

I like crackers and cheese (add deli meat?) and then some raw veggies or fruit to round it out.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I like pre-cooking a bunch of chicken breasts - usually I bake with garlic/onion powder, oregano and salt and pepper. You can then season this as you see fit on a daily basis.

I like to use whole wheat pita bread for my sandwiches/wraps.

Some combinations -
    chicken, tomatoes, onions, italian vinaigrette, lettuce, cheese
    chicken, bbq sauce, whatever veggies I feel like, cheese
    chicken, salsa, spicy mustard, lettuce, jalapenos, lettuce, cheese
    chicken, buffalo sauce, lettuce, pineapple, low fat sour cream

Really, the possibilities are limitless and you can change the flavor daily if you are eating one daily.
  • allaboutthatfood
    allaboutthatfood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love putting stuff in pita pockets. One that held me over in college was to put some hummus on the inside of the pita, then add a romaine lettuce leaf, then some shredded rotisserie chicken, then put in some thinly sliced cucumbers and pack some cherry tomatoes in a ziplock. I would also put the same combo in a tortilla wrap
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I take hummus, crispbreads and tomatoes to work and put it together there. Makes lunch last longer having to spread on the hummus and chop the tomatoes.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you have a microwave or toaster oven at work- "Flat out" wrap with a chipotle black bean veggie burger, tablespoon of salsa and a slice of light cheddar or jack cheese. Toast it! I had this yesterday and it was really yummy and a nice change from cold cuts!

ETA- The burger was a frozen one. Gardenburger brand
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Take a wrap and smear it with refried beans. Add sautéed onion and peppers and some hot sauce if you like it. I've heard they freeze well, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just did a turkey stuffed pita for lunch and it was so delicious.

Thin pita (140 cal)
    Tzatziki 2 tablespoons (35 cal)
    Lean ground turkey (120 cal for approx. 1/2 cup) I made mine into turkey patties and than chopped them up, I used an entire package and then froze the patties for more lunches. I did add, garlic, salt, pepper, and a few other spices to taste.
    Cucumbers
    thin sliced pepper
    Feta cheese 15gram (46 cal)

Roll it all up into a declicious lunch! Served with a side of watermelon. Mmmmm.
  • CandyMonster160
    Options
    I like to do a blt wrap as well.
    Turkey bacon
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Mayo
    Mustard
    and a pita, low cal bread, or a wrap. Also super delicious and healthy!
  • CandyMonster160
    Options
    I like to do a blt wrap as well.
    Turkey bacon
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Cheese
    Mayo
    Mustard
    and a pita, low cal bread, or a wrap. Also super delicious and healthy!

edited to add cheese. HOW could I forget cheese!