Logging calories with IBS and other gastrointestinal issues.

Options
Taegre
Taegre Posts: 7 Member
I'm pretty sure that this is the place to post this question. I'm currently maintaining at a slight deficit. Weight loss isn't my final goal right now, changing body composition with exercise is. As such, I need to make sure I'm eating enough.

I have IBS. It's pretty mild and I can usually prevent flare-ups by knowing which types of food trigger me. But when I do have an IBS attack (usually 20-30 min after I've eaten), I notice that I usually pass full chunks of undigested food. The flare ups usually continue for a few days with a lot passing through me undigested.

Now, I've been logging everything that I put into my mouth. On those days, should I try to eat a bit more to make sure my actual calorie intake doesn't drop too low? How do people with chronic gastrointestinal issues manage this?

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I get glutened accidentally. I have celiac disease. When it happens I don't adjust my calories at all.

I would love to hear what others say. I just figure that it is usually such an isolated event that when looking at the bigger picture it just doesn't impact my deficit enough to make a big difference.

I worry about things like vitamins and my iron levels a lot more when it happens than my calories...
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    How low are you calories? I can't imagine you are passing that many cals that it would make a difference.
  • MysticRealm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry, it told me there was an error posting and to try again, then posted it 3 times.
  • MysticRealm
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Taegre
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How low are you calories? I can't imagine you are passing that many cals that it would make a difference.

I eat about 1700-2000 calories per day. I'm more worried about the days that I work out, losing part of an entire meal is a lot. And I can't understate, that with IBS, the meal is in the toilet bowl within 30min. And my guts are empty after 4-5 consecutive trips to the bathroom of equal intensity. Such is the life of IBS.

The biggest worry is that, if I have an IBS attack on a workout day, my recovery is terrible. I'm sore for days and don't gain any strength/stamina/flexibility. Plus working out with IBS is always kinda perilous.

Just to give you an example: I had IBS attacks every day for all of winter break (The heavy foods triggered it). I still ate like a pig, three meals a day plus cookies and snacks (mfp recorded my calorie intake being over 3000 several days in a row) and didn't exercise for three weeks. And I still ended up losing 5 pounds.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try foodmaps to get things under control , I know I can lose breakfast and lunch in an episode
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yes, get on a low fodmap diet. I've been on it for 2 months and I'm feeling wayyyy better. I had one whole night of excruciating pain after eating lactose but other than that-haven't been sick. I was sick 6+ times a day...weak, dizzy, tired, faint...

I think it's important to start with the elimination diet on fodmaps for at least 6-8 weeks to see if you can get it under control.
  • Taegre
    Options
    Oh, it's under control. I only ever have IBS issues once or twice a month. I usually know what sets it off for me (raw tomatoes, big meals, high saturated fats, pineapple etc etc). My particular question is, on days that I do have IBS attacks, should I try to eat more to make sure that I'm actually getting enough calories?
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well if you aren't trying to lose weight, based on your description from the holidays I would say yes.
  • satchel180
    satchel180 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are there any fodmap apps to sync to this app like I did with my Fitbit? I just got put on the diet,
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Taegre wrote: »
    My particular question is, on days that I do have IBS attacks, should I try to eat more to make sure that I'm actually getting enough calories?

It'll take some trial & error. If you try eating more and you start gaining, then the answer is no.

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight or maintain—never the minimum.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out exactly what flares my episodes up yet. Mine seems more stress-related than food-related. For awhile I was eating healthier and wasn't having as bad of symptoms but still had issues. I know coffee will do it...most of the time. But some days I'll drink coffee and have no problem. I've been eating crappily and not exercising and still have managed to maintain my current weight and even lose a little. On one hand, the vain part of me is thrilled. But on the other hand, I'm concerned I'm not getting proper nutrition...and damaging my insides.

I also have this weird...I guess...addiction(?) to the burn that coffee and pop give me. When I drink these, my tummy burns but I like it...kind of? I don't enjoy the fire throughout my bowels when I have an episode but the inital sips of these drinks give me a tummy burn that I can't quit? What is wrong with me?

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week. I'm sure I'll be suggested to follow a fodmap kinda diet but that would be impossible! No garlic? No onions? No beans? No dairy? No drupes? Can't do it. I'd rather suffer than cut those items out! What to do...what to do...