Kick boxing or just the gym?

Options
I've just started to change my eating habits. Joined the Weight Watchers at work as well. I lost 5.2 pounds in the first week. I really need to work out as well so I was thinking of joining the local CKO classes but I'm nervous. I'm 52 and not in great shape. I think I'm stronger than I am. LOL I'm curious to know what anyone thinks.

Replies

• dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I go to a similar gym and we have people from all different ages and fitness levels. I highly recommend it as I have seen some truly remarkable transformations. Just don't go for the MMA style gloves. Get some good 12oz boxing gloves and the long hand wraps.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've done both, enjoyed both, and gotten amazing results from both. Most places offer the first few classes for free as a trial run, maybe just do both and see what you like the most? You don't have to be super fit to start. I did cardio kickboxing years ago when I was about 190 lbs at 5'6. I was so out of shape, but the ppl were supportive and eventually I was able to kick higher and punch stronger etc.
    Boxing is more expensive than the gym for the most part though jsyk.
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    They can be, the one I go to is the same price as globo gym so it's all good. Plus I like having the trainers around to motivate me and not having to plan out my workouts. When it comes to fitness thought the best kind is the kind you like to do the most. So try out everything and see what sticks.
  • Finally628
    Finally628 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks - 5 years ago my husband and I decided we needed to get healthy and promised each other we would stick with it. So we did the gym thing. I used a trainer 3 days a week for 9 months. I lost 86 lbs. in the 1st year. He came and supported me everyday and did his own thing and lost 50 lbs. We had promised each other that we would get healthy so we would live longer together and be able to do more activities. We began hiking and swimming and planning exciting vacations. But then, at 43 years old, he suddenly without warning or illness, passed away. I stopped going to the gym. I couldn't bear to walk in there. I lost all motivation. Basically I just gave up. He was gone and I wondered what was the point? I've put 55 lbs. back on.

I've finally realized that in stopping my healthy eating and giving up that I've broken my promised to him. Something I'd never done before. The 28th of June will be the 4th year anniversary of his passing, as well as my birthday. I finally decided - it's time to fulfill my promise. So now I'm doing it alone. I don't know about going back to the gym - I miss him being there supporting and encouraging me. I thought something different would be a good place to start. I'm going to try the kick boxing thing. Wish me luck.
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and LOVED kickboxing. It's no longer offered at my gym but I loved it while I was there. I now have gotten my Zumba license and will become my gym's instructor next month. I also weight train 3-4 days a week. I have learned my age is just a number. By the way, I'm a year and a half into my fitness journey and have lost 55 pounds.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

I do thai boxing ( I am 39 ) which is similar and I really enjoy it. It's a great workout and a lot of fun ! Lots of variation too in the classes. Lots of people of different ages at my gym.
    I say give it a go. They may offer classes for different levels. If you enjoy it and want to stick to it, I second the comment about good boxing gloves. Don't get cheap ones , they won't last or give you decent protection. Hand wraps yes don't forget those, you can also get "quick wraps" which are kinda like a padded fingerless glove.
    Wishing you luck !
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your husband. My heart aches reading your story :(

I agree, give it a go! I am a bit of a martial arts junkie, and the Cardio kickboxing classes offered here range from young to retired people. They are friendly, open, and super supportive. I agree with ^^izzy, if you end up enjoying it invest in the good gloves. I think if nothing else you'll be proud of yourself for getting out there and trying something new :)