Mayonnaise

Options
What are some good substitutes for mayonnaise you've used? I used humus in a tuna noodle salad the other day and it can out pretty well.

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Avocado in place of mayonnaise on chicken salad is fantastic!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love using hummus to replace mayo. Also mustard, depending on what I'm eating.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I just use mayo. There's no substitute in my opinion. It's not too bad on calories if you don't use a ton of it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt or sour cream, but why do you need a substitute?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I just use mayo. There's no substitute in my opinion. It's not too bad on calories if you don't use a ton of it.

Same. Can’t beat the taste for me. If what you want is creaminess, a bunch of other stuff works I guess. Greek yogurt is a good option.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I like hummus, Greek yogurt or avocados. But most times I just use my own mayo. I make it with avocado oil. Love it!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I use mayo when I want mayo. For things like deviled eggs tuna salad, the flavor of mayo is hard to replace. If you're worried about cholesterol and want fewer calories, buy the Hellmann's with Canola. It's cholesterol free and has only 2/3 of the calories. For other things, avocado has a nice creaminess and flavor. but it still has a lot of fat.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I've found the half-fat Hellman's to be ok.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I was just looking for something different with less fat and calories. It's fun to try different things.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just use light mayo. Or make your own?
    No substitute in my opinion.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Usually I used the cannola kind from Helmins. I actually like it better than the original.
  • RebeccaSmith9
    RebeccaSmith9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the Hellmans lite also good flavor
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was actually very surprised when I made (and liked!!) this tofu-cashew mayo recipe:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/tofu-cashew-mayonnaise.html
    Obviously don't expect it to taste like the real thing, but it's great in its own right if you use a good brand of tofu. :)

I second the greek yogurt option too - different flavor, but it tastes lovely and you can really pile it into salads, which I can't do with regular mayo (too much makes me feel sick)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that nothing can replace the fluffy, tangy deliciousness of mayonnaise. Some people use avocado but frankly the idea makes me gag.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use silken tofu and blend it with different flavors to create things like siracha mayo or curry mayo or tarragon mayo....u can Google recipes.....it provides a high nutrient and low calories/fat/cholesterol.

Also.....mix avocado with nutritional yeast and pepper and garlic and a little water to thin it to desired consistency...... This is amazing and excellent nutrition
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt. But I do not like mayo, so it is a matter of taste.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes a mayonnaise with olive oil that's only 35 calories per serving. I've also found that one serving is the perfect amount, and not the 2-3 I was probably using before.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I've also found that one serving is the perfect amount, and not the 2-3 I was probably using before.

I've found this too - I used to just slather it on, but 1 Tbsp turns out to be more than enough. I love mayo, wouldn't be happy not able to use it. That said, avocado and Greek yogurt are ok subs.