Cheat days??

Options
Are you having cheat days/meals and do they help or hinder your progress. Read so many articles for and against, confusing.

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No. Well, I do have the odd day when I go over like a wedding day or birthday (or a week on holiday) but it's not a regular scheduled in thing and I'm back on it. I'd rather do it when I need to do I don't get depressed that I can't join in like other people.

I don't like the word "cheat" either makes it sound sneaky and dirty and like it's all a game. Not cheating, just eating.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, technically speaking they'll hinder your progress since you'll lose your deficit for that day (and possibly longer), but they can definitely help mentally. Having done day without a deficit is worth it if it means you'll stick to your diet better in the long run. There's also the argument that it can help reduce stress, and stress can be pretty bad for weight loss.

Personally, like most other people here, I like to have the odd 'cheat' day (in quotes because if you work it into your goals you may not consider it cheating, but whatever you choose to call it, it's nice to have a day off). I usually do if it's a special occasion. One meal isn't going to ruin your diet, and I'd much rather be able to relax and have fun every now and again and take a bit longer to reach my goal than be constantly trying to restrict what I eat and get there a bit faster. Calorie counting is fine 99% of the time, but if I'm at an all-you-can-eat restaurant for a friend's birthday I want to eat all I can!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have a treat meal Friday night, but I save up calories during the week, and eat very light during the day on Friday, so I don't exceed anything. It's absolutely necessary for me for a sustainable, long term, weight loss maintenance.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me, this is more of a lifestyle than a diet, so I don't have what one would call a "cheat" meal or day. Sometimes I eat more calories than my goal for a day, so I'll try to burn more calories during the next few days and/or also eat less calories the next few days just to try and balance it all out. As long as there is a deficit, I know that I will lose weight eventually. Also, if I know in advance that I have a party, event or big dinner to attend, I'll eat less calories during the day and save them up for that night. If I'm eating within my allowance (no matter what it is), then I'll lose weight. If I'm eating more than my allowance of calories for that day (even if it is all super healthy foods), then I will definitely gain weight because I'm not in a deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What Demora said mostly. The more you are going to make it a habit, then the more calories you will need to burn off later on, so its personal choice. Just accept that eating extra will slow down your progress. Whats important for me is that any choices about what I eat or do not eat become part of my journey and I accept the consequences, which are either slower loss or more exercise.

If its within your allowance then thats no really a cheat, thats just a reallocation of calories.

I do have 2 rules though:

1. Enjoy the food whilst you eat it.
    2. Dont stress.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word "cheat". It indicates you are doing something wrong and enjoying it. There is nothing wrong with occasionally going over your calorie goal, but if you prefer to call it "cheating" then those "cheat days" will start out once a month, then move to once a week, and before you know it, you've gained back all the weight you have lost plus some.
  • heathergetshealthier
    heathergetshealthier Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I plan for indulgences - so they aren't cheating :).
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I have days that I choose to eat more than others. It took me a long time to get out of the guilty feelings around "cheat days". I have also figured out that if I choose to eat more I will hinder my progress. It is the nature of the beast. Cal in > cal out = no weight loss.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I only have two "cheat days" -my birthday and Christmas. Even then, I try to pre-log and don't consider it a free-for-all (typically, I'm no more than 200 calories above goal). Otherwise, I fit everything I want into my calorie and macro goals.

I'm going out for my birthday dinner later on tonight, and I'm super happy that I can indulge in a small dessert and pasta while still reaching my calorie goal. All it means is that my breakfast and lunch will be a bit smaller than usual.
  • mralexny
    mralexny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too go over sometimes when I indulge in some goodies. So what... I stay on target for the most part and work out very hard. I always finish strong weather its doing 3 11 minute miles or a half hour of weight training.