What to do...?

Options
Canisp
Canisp Posts: 5 Member
Hi - I'm back here after a year or so absence.
I want to lose a little weight, have fun with the MyFitnessPal app tracking my calorie intake and exercise details.
I need advice/help with something. During the day (stay at home mum with student daughter at home) everything is fine with activity, calorie intake etc etc no problem. But in the evening after a fabulous low cal, low carb day and everything is hunky dory, the craving for something, anything to munch/snack on returns. So I take a cup of tea...no...craving still there. Try to fill up on water, fizzy and still, no ... craving still there...exercise doesn't help...housework doesn't help...try a few Brazil nuts...craving still there...my body wants crisps/peanuts/Bombay Mix/Pringles etc etc HELP!

Can anyone suggest something I can nibble on when this evening craving comes on? I thank my stars when bedtime comes along and I can retire...glass of water and sleep...no cravings! And when I awake, it breakfast time and the world is wonderful once more :)

I'm sure I am not alone in this. Suggestions on a postcard please...

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I see this topic a lot on the forums. IMHO, trying to fulfill a craving with other foods or drinks just doesn't work. It's better to learn a new habit and "disassociate" eating and snacking with the evening. Every time a craving hits realize that you really aren't hungry, but it's a learned response.

Do something busy with your hands. Go for a walk. Do body weight exercises. Or whatever activity will keep you busy and your mind off of food. It takes practice. Just be consistent.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Does it help you to eat just a very small amount of what you're craving in the evening? Another thought....

There's this theory about willpower depletion that we studied in a psychology class a few years ago. The idea is basically that the more often you're forced to say "no", the harder and harder it gets until you finally get a chance to say "yes". So, if you go alllll day saying "no" to this food item and "no" to that food item by the end of the day all you want to do is say "yes" to everything in sight. I think it's why the "everything in moderation" idea of dieting works for so many people. So perhaps, rather than avoiding those foods all day long, have a small treat between lunch and dinner and see if that doesn't make the evening a lot easier.
  • Canisp
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    ...Do something busy with your hands. Go for a walk. Do body weight exercises. Or whatever activity will keep you busy and your mind off of food. It takes practice. Just be consistent.

Thanks BZAH10 - an enjoyable activity for evenings is probably the answer. I have a kettle bell and some hand/wrist weights I could use for body weight exercise in combination with squats, walking etc.
  • Canisp
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Does it help you to eat just a very small amount of what you're craving in the evening? Another thought....

Yes, SueInAz, I could do that - a small packet of low fat crisps or a couple of Pringles - including the calories in my daily intake and maybe do take the dog for a longer walk to burn off more calories. Thanks for sharing your ideas with me.