Need energy to workout

Options
I am finding it more and more difficult to exercise because I don't have enough energy. My career is sometimes mentally draining and keeping up with my very active 16-month-old son can be physically draining. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more energy for workouts? P.S. I don't like the taste of any energy drink..i.e 5 hour energy, red bull, monster.

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Carbs are what your body uses for energy.
    Caffeine can help you feel more energized, though it doesn't really do anything for you.

Eating a well-rounded diet so you get all the nutrition your body needs is really the best course of action.
    (Oh, and of course, get enough quality sleep. Easier said than done.)
    Support your body's function and you'll probably feel better.
    Improve the quality of your foods - go for higher nutrient density, less processed, more natural, a very diverse
    diet with lots of colors. You don't necessarily have to eat more calories, just be sure you're getting nutrition.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Coffee, eat more carbs or buy a pre-workout in a flavour you like.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a banana before hand. It is a winning combination for me as a pre-work out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're probably wise to stay away from the energy type drinks, most of them are not much more than sugar & caffeine.

Your diary is closed so this is purely speculation......eat! Workouts need fuel, you probably need more carbs (preferably mostly complex carbs but something with a higher GI -like a banana or orange - can give you a little kick when you need it) If it's mental fatigue (it's not unusual to be dragging your butt after work) just convince yourself into doing a short workout, it may seem counter intuitive but physical exertion can have the effect of alleviating mental fatigue and you can find yourself looking forward to that after work sessions as a reward for a hard day's work.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find the source of your energy drain. All the food in the world isn't gone to help mental fatigue and stress.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You need more sleep. You have to figure it out. Drinking energy drinks or taking pills in the end will make you feel worst.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I am finding it more and more difficult to exercise because I don't have enough energy. My career is sometimes mentally draining and keeping up with my very active 16-month-old son can be physically draining. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more energy for workouts? P.S. I don't like the taste of any energy drink..i.e 5 hour energy, red bull, monster.

how many calories are you eating, how much sleep do you get?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You're probably wise to stay away from the energy type drinks, most of them are not much more than sugar & caffeine.

Your diary is closed so this is purely speculation......eat! Workouts need fuel, you probably need more carbs (preferably mostly complex carbs but something with a higher GI -like a banana or orange - can give you a little kick when you need it) If it's mental fatigue (it's not unusual to be dragging your butt after work) just convince yourself into doing a short workout, it may seem counter intuitive but physical exertion can have the effect of alleviating mental fatigue and you can find yourself looking forward to that after work sessions as a reward for a hard day's work.

+1 to this and the bananan and coffee post.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Working out during your lunch hour can be a pain, but it's usually the best plan for total daily energy, if it's possible.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know it can be tough, I have two children and work!! I get up and workout at 5.45am every morning before they wake up and then let the day do its worst!! I find that this actually gives me more energy for the day and it's done before I start my day... Make sure you are getting enough sleep - I just go to bed really early 9.30 to 10pm to allow for the early start. Eat enough too...
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am in the maintenance phase of my fitness journey so I am allowed 2,050 calories a day. I usually eat around 1,500 calories. The amount of sleep is not an issue for me. I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a night. However, I agree I could eat more bananas and oranges. I stopped drinking coffee about a month ago instead I drink hot green tea or detox tea.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I am in the maintenance phase of my fitness journey so I am allowed 2,050 calories a day. I usually eat around 1,500 calories. The amount of sleep is not an issue for me. I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a night. However, I agree I could eat more bananas and oranges. I stopped drinking coffee about a month ago instead I drink hot green tea or detox tea.

So why are you still eating at a deficit if you're in maintenance?
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning! It's the only way I can get it in and it also has helped me with energy through the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You're eating at a deficit still? So you're not maintaining.

Eat more
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... I am allowed 2,050 calories a day. I usually eat around 1,500 calories.

There's your answer...

That's a very steep deficit for maintenance. It might also depend on your nutrient balance.
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, before I wake anyone up, I do some stretches. I feel like that helps me start the day with an edge over the negativity.
    Also, I work out anyway. Not feeling like it doesn't matter. I always feel better after, even if i didn't really want to.
    I agree though, if you're eating 500 less cal, where will you get fuel for the workout?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am in the maintenance phase of my fitness journey so I am allowed 2,050 calories a day. I usually eat around 1,500 calories.

Does not compute!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    OP you're not eating enough. If you're in the maintenance phase why are you eating at a deficit? You don't have the fuel you need to have the energy for your day. Eat 2050 calories like you are supposed during maintenance and I am sure you'll feel better. I try to eat a meaty sandwich (lots of ham, turkey and salad) for some protein and carbs before I workout.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So why are you still eating at a deficit if you're in maintenance?

I eat 3 meals a day plus several snacks. I feel like I am eating all day long but I just can't seem to eat the full 2,050 calories the computer calculated for me.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you're daring enough, you could always try pre workout.