What do you do while on vacation?

Options
do you go balls to the wall eating whatever you want or stay within calories strictly or maybe just have one cheat meal a day?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. I rarely get a vacation as is.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I don't look at any meals as cheat meals.

On holidays/vacations I estimate intake if it is a short holiday or just have a week or so not logging if it is longer.

Although I am not measuring or am not logging, I still try to be sensible and make reasonably healthy choices most of the time. But an indulgence here or there is ok - if I go out to dinner and there is a really nice dessert, I have some.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I generally try to be careful .. we tend to rent houses out so I put decent foods in the fridge ... and I try to make sure I'm taking beach walks an swimming a lot .. then I can eat what I want when we go out (within reason)
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy for the most part but I am not as crazy about cheating a little.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    completely irrelevant .. 6 more weeks :bigsmile: villa, private pool, hot tub, beach, sangria ...
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 64 pounds since January 1. I really just want to eat whatever I want for the week, but so worried I would gain a ton of weight.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    In about 3 weeks I'll be transfering to the beach until mid-september. I do this every year, however it's a working vacation. I do get beach time mornings and afternoons, but cook meals for at least 7 people, plus running the house and small yard. I go grocery shoping on my bike. So, I am active, and go walking alot around Terracina, an old Roman town near us. We go out for pizza, once a week and also to an excellent fish restaurant, gelato, etc---you get the idea. I don't count calories since I don't have internet access. My goal is to maintain for those 2 months. It's not easy, but I pretty much manage. My husband is thin and is constantly eating whatever he wants. Last year I gained 2 lbs which wasn't bad. B)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    completely irrelevant .. 6 more weeks :bigsmile: villa, private pool, hot tub, beach, sangria ...

I unfriend you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Be mindful but EAT ALL THE FOODZ!

Really, it depends on the type of vacation.
    I went to Disney World/Orlando 1 1/2 years ago and came back 4 lbs lighter and I pretty much ate what I wanted (but mindful). It was alot of walking, so it's no wonder.

This year I'm going to the beach. Not really worried.
  • knsreed
    knsreed Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We did a stay-cation and we ate out every meal. I thought I was eating sensibly but at the end of all my fun...I gained back 4 of the 12 it took me sooooo long to lose. SIGHHHHH On my treadmill now... trying to regain my dignity....eeekkkk harder to type than I thought it would be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's tough. Last year I was doing great and I was 2 pounds from my goal, went on vacations (eating out all the time)... came back 5 pounds heavier, lost 3 pounds in no time but I've never managed to reach my low weight since. It totally derailed me for some reason... now I'm hungrier if I keep a deficit too long.

This year my plan is to only eat things I REALLY want. So if I really crave fries, I'll have fries, otherwise I'll have veggies. Same for dessert... if I crave pie and there's pie, great, if not, no dessert. And I'll try to stay active, hit the hotel's treadmill etc. I'm going to try to eat at maintenance, but we'll see. It's been too hard to lose my last 3 pounds, I don't want to make it worse by adding another 3.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In about 3 weeks I'll be transfering to the beach until mid-september. I do this every year, however it's a working vacation. I do get beach time mornings and afternoons, but cook meals for at least 7 people, plus running the house and small yard. I go grocery shoping on my bike. So, I am active, and go walking alot around Terracina, an old Roman town near us. We go out for pizza, once a week and also to an excellent fish restaurant, gelato, etc---you get the idea. I don't count calories since I don't have internet access. My goal is to maintain for those 2 months. It's not easy, but I pretty much manage. My husband is thin and is constantly eating whatever he wants. Last year I gained 2 lbs which wasn't bad. B)

Do you need any help? Per Favore?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP last summer I spent a month in Italy and this summer 2 weeks camping. On both of those trips I went in with the mindset that I would make good choices but not hold back if there was something I wanted (we ate gelato every single day in Florence). On both trips we were active enough that I only gained about 3 lbs in Italy and just maintained on our recent trip.

Vacations are rare and meant to be enjoyed. If you go in with the right mindset then you shouldn't undo all your progress.

This said, during my weight loss I didn't really restrict any foods either, so if you've made significant changes, then I supposed vacations could be seen as totally going off the rails.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We like staying in self contained apartments so we have the option of cooking/preparing food.

We walk a lot (great for exploring), enjoy food that might be unique to the area or really good quality, but don't waste calories on standard, boring food we can get at home. Skipping breakfast is a good way to "save" calories.... Or just eating less meals in general...
  • petervz01
    petervz01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation. I tried to estimate for the first couple of days, then missed a day and lost my 180 something streak. Getting back on track now. While we were there, I ate whatever I wanted, but we were walking an average of 12 miles a day, plus rock climbing, kayaking, etc, so I think I was ok.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry about calorie counting when I'm on vacation. Usually we are busy during the day with some kind of activity be it hiking, kayaking, even just walking around sightseeing. My husband and I tend to eat light early in the day and then splurge on dinner and drinks. Rarely do I come back from vacation up in weight. In fact, sometimes I lose a little.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    louisedbatchelor1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for my holiday in 4 weeks!
    Eat what I want definately! But I know that my mind won't allow me to go just eat like a pig but I will not be skipping the dessert cart or the cooked breakfast that's for sure!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Eat what I want and hope to do plenty of walking and exploring to burn off most of the splurge. I don't try for a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I unfriend you.

You can't .. I shall hold onto your ankles screaming 'No .. don't leave me'

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I do count and log. But I walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more so I get plenty of calories and feel like I'm splurging anyway.