I just can't do 1200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone can survive on 1200 calories and actually be productive in life unless they are super duper short and skinny.

Super duper short reporting to duty. 4'11. Working on the skinny part!! I am close to goal, so MFP only gives me 1210 for...wait for it... 1/2 a lb loss each week! It SUCKS. So I am adamant about fitting in exercise every day to earn more food (closer to 1400ish calories).

I'm also a mom to young kids and I work. Here's what works for me (down 27 lbs):

- First, I accept that 1210 is too low and I MUST earn more calories on a daily basis. Period.
    - I pre-log my meals the night before. So if last night I entered 1400 calories of food, now I know what it will take to earn it.
    - I squeeze in a 20-25 minutes workout every morning and try to up the intensity
    - More importantly, I walk, pace, and freaking march in place for a total of about 50+ minutes a day (for a total of about 70 minutes total exercise every day, when you include the morning workout. If for some reason I can't workout in the morning, then the walking/pacing/marching must total 70 minutes for the day).
    - Why 70 minutes?? Is that the magic formula for weight loss? No. MFP tells me if I walk 2.5MPH for a minute, I earn roughly 3 calories. 70X3=210. This is what it takes for me to earn about 1400 calories to eat.
    - Wait? Where did I get 2.5 MPH from? Is THAT the magic formula?? No. I timed myself on the treadmill to see how many steps I take in a minute. Now I know that marching in place for a minute is about the same as walking on a treadmill for a minute at 2.5 MPF. This is the standard I use to log all my "walking around" throughout the day.
    - I walk/march/pace in the morning while getting my kids ready for school. While I'm cooking or washing dishes, packing lunches. While I'm waiting for something in the microwave. While I brush my teeth. While the shower is warming up. IN THE DAMN SHOWER (be careful please!). While I put on makeup and get dressed. I can seriously get 30 minutes worth of steps before I leave the house. I go to work and take a break once every hour and do another few minutes of walking. I walk some more during my lunch break. At home if I'm on the phone, I'm pacing. I am not sweating, it is not intense, but I am moving every chance I get. If my kids are playing outside, I am pacing. I do not sit down at home until I've earned all those calories.

• Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't eat that low either. Why don't you try to set your goal to just 1/2 a pound a week. Unless you are in a hurry for medical reasons, just take your time and enjoy the journey. I know at 1200 calories a day I could never truly enjoy the journey or learn to be able to maintain once I reach my goal.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary but, my suggestion is upping your protein intake.
    You'll feel fuller longer and you may find you can cut out a few more cals that way.
    Luck :flowerforyou:
  • 2marsh
    2marsh Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's something that most people will say is wrong, wrong, WRONG, but has worked for me in the past and apparently does for many others: try skipping breakfast. What??? Weight loss blasphemy, right? Truth is that the myths about it slowing your metabolism have been disproven. If you're one of those people who will have a hard time controlling yourself at lunch if you skip breakfast, it would be counterproductive. Me? I find it helps me to eat gently as I break my "fast" at noon. Also, I'm miserable under 1600 calories if I eat breakfast, but can easily keep to (or under) 1200 if I skip it - without feeling tired or grouchy. Not for everyone, but I know it works for some.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dear MFP friends
    I have been eagerly reading your replies, and each of you have contributed extremely useful ideas that I am taking and using. I am very thankful to each one of you that you took time to answer my little post. Thank you so very much <3
  • linzgrad
    linzgrad Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You have to also take the calorie goals here with a grain of salt too. They ask for activity level in jobs but don't ask for body composition, for example so depending on what you're made up of, 1200 may not be reasonable for you (1200 doesnt really sound reasonable for anyone unless you're a child to be honest)

Make gradual changes... if you were eating 2500 calories before, eat 2200 now for example. Look at what your calories come from. Empty foods won't do your body any good.

Also go on You tube and check out Nate Bower fitness. I used to train with this guy, he has made some great work outs that can be done in home via the videos and are 20-30 mins and you'll get a good burn on.
    Just don't give up!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If you're not really losing your only options are to eat less or exercise more. It is that simple. You choose what combination you prefer, but if you keep doing what you are doing you will keep getting the same results...not really losing.

Lots of people are busy. Lots of people don't belong to a gym. Lots of people have kids. But many of them lose weight...IF it is a priority for them. So either exercise at home (millions of people do that) or eat less. If you want to be full on less calories, you may need to change what you are eating. You may need to focus more on filling foods like protein and fiber and give up some of the less filling high calorie foods that you just like. Or keep eating exactly what you are eating now, but eat less of it and deal with being hungry. Your call.
  • schellerica
    schellerica Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office I would spend my 10 min. breaks walking around outside or up and down the stairs. It adds up! If you are stuck at home you can either do 1/2 hour workout videos or if you don't have a full 1/2 hour you can just do little things like squats and leg lifts while you're waiting for something to cook, or you could find some upbeat music on Pandora and dance around the house. Even getting some light dumbells and doing a few curls while watching tv / or laying on the floor and doing a few crunches helps. It might be hard to find a solid chunk of time, so try breaking it up and see how that works. I feel ya on the 1200 calories though. I think 1500 is a perfectly reasonable amount. I think the trick is finding stuff that will fill you up for less calories, like broccoli, watermelon, Lite Greek yogurt, grapes, chicken, etc...
    Good luck!
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How about cleaning round the house, carrying boxes, maybe doin a few step ups on the stairs or going up and down stairs a few more times for exercise? Im surprised at how lot the max rec calorie intake for me is too.
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE?and what is your calorie goal on MFP?
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to do 1200 calories but it takes a specific method. I try to eat 4ozs of meat protein and side it with a couple of high fiber sizes such as rice, mixed veggies or bran cereal. I eat 4 times a day and I eat a lot of food. I have alot of energy and I never feel hungry or deprived. You can cook multiple meals at once and take them with you to work. 12 hours should mean 2 short breaks and one meal break. figure out a way to divide your calories between them so you are getting a steady energy flow.