Healing Back Pain

Options
Has anyone tried Foundation Training by Dr. Goodman, and has it helped you? I tweaked my back somehow almost 2 weeks ago. In desperation for relief, I recently bought the book on my kindle and just started doing the first basic exercises. I'm on day 3. My back does feel like it's getting better, but it might have just been time for it to feel better. I'm just wondering if it's worth adding permanently to my regular workout. Has anyone had amazing results after doing Foundation Training? Have you tried anything else that helped lower back pain?

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use the McKenzie Method in treating my lower back pain. I was able to do this after having an osteopathist correct pelvic torsion, and it worked wonders! http://www.mckenziemdt.org.nz/the-mckenzie-method/ and http://www.treatbackpainyourself.com/
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that but it sounds interesting - I have chronic low back pain from a car accident, I found that the TENS (e-stim) units really help, also I have a video called "Back Care Basics" which is super light yoga for old people but it has some amazing stretches in it. And over time just continually working on my core strength very slowly has helped a lot.
  • daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will check those out as well! My pain is going away, but I would like to keep it away if possible.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    legs up the wall for at least 5 min helps

this is a good list1
  • daperfectmix
    Options
    What kind of stretches do you do for the back? When I injured my back the first time, I thought it would be a good idea to try to hang from a chin up bar to stretch my back, but it seemed to make it worse at the time.
  • kdcancan
    kdcancan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Kit Laughlin in Australia has both books and DVDs that helped me in the past. Amazon has some of the books but I ordered the DVDs direct from his website. He also has lots of info on the site. Also a research doctor, Jolie Bookspan, has lots of valuable info on her website. You can buy her books (which I recommend as they're easier than navigating the website) or use the website free
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would love some advice on exercises that will help with back pain and not irritate it further. I have an appointment on the 22nd to see what's going on....but I would love to be able to find even a little relief before that...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    legs up the wall for at least 5 min helps

this is a good list1

• daperfectmix
    Options
    I would love some advice on exercises that will help with back pain and not irritate it further. I have an appointment on the 22nd to see what's going on....but I would love to be able to find even a little relief before that...

The yoga exercises that moyer566 linked to would probably be good for you if you're already in pain. I just started doing Foundation Training by Dr. Goodman, but it's too early to tell if it will prevent back pain. That's why I was looking for someone who's been doing it for a while. So far it's good and it definitely makes sense. Strengthening your whole core and shooting for better posture should help us back pain sufferers.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I second the TENS recommendation. I have chronic low-back issues, and went to a chiropractor who used TENS and other therapies (NOT manipulations) that helped immediately when nothing my regular doctor prescribed (rest, muscle relaxers) helped at all.
  • daperfectmix
    Options
    I agree that rest and muscle relaxers won't fix the problem. What exactly is TENS?