Started at 320, goal 190

Options
Hello, all you MFPers! I must say, I'm so proud to have joined your ranks. Though I just started using this app and following a calorie-restrictive diet, I do have a lot of previous experience with weightloss. I've been overweight since kindergarten; I have just recently turned 43. I'm disappointed that I have missed out on so many things life has to offer, all because I'd rather stuff my face than eat a healthful diet and be active.

In 2006 I reached my peak weight of 394# (at 5'10"). Early that year I experienced several life changes; in January I separated (later divorced) from my husband of nine years and in February I had a major surgery. I had a number of serious complications related to the surgery, forcing me to be in and out of the hospital for two months. Early on my road to recovery, I began to follow a calorie-restricted diet loosely based on the Weight Watchers points program. I dropped almost a hundred pounds in less than a year, simply by changing my diet. Later I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer and eventually reached the weight of two hundred thirty seven pounds, a loss of 157#. Unfortunately, I did not keep it off.

I remarried in 2009 and the weight gradually crept back on. I had all kinds of reasons (excuses) for regaining much of the weight, but at the end of the day the only reason I regained is because I stopped counting my calories, over-ate and reduced my activity. I am ashamed to admit that my poor lifestyle choices have impacted more than just me; my husband and daughter-in-law (she lived with us for over two years) have also piled on the pounds. I am here because I've stopped making excuses and I am ready to make some PERMANENT changes. It is my hope and my secondary mission that my improved diet and fitter, more healthful lifestyle will have a positive impact on those around me.

I am highly motivated to reach my goals and am eager to connect with positive, like-minded individuals. Feel free to ask me any questions, share tips, etc. I am totally open to communicating with anyone.

Shelle :)

***I probably ought to mention that I do have a severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), a physically-debilitating autoimmune disease not caused by or directly related to obesity. Unlike osteo-arthritis, which is typically an age-and-lifestyle-related condition that causes joint deterioration, RA is a biochemical, systemic disease. It can strike anyone at any age, even children (Juvenile RA), but typically targets women ages 25-40 and, once diagnosed, is here to stay.

Replies

• BIGLeagueQ
    BIGLeagueQ Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello, Shelle! Permanent change is my ultimate goal as well. I wish you the best of luck with your journey! :)
  • ymca1968
    ymca1968 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We can do this together. One day, one pound at a time
  • amandahugndkiss
    amandahugndkiss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Life just seems to get the better of us at times. I have yoyo'd myself from an early age, but for now I'm just looking forward. You can do this!
  • lizlovell627
    lizlovell627 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This goal is very similar to mine! Wishing you luck and on your journey. I am hoping for permanant change for a healthier lifestyle!
  • jordantheginger
    jordantheginger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a similar story in that I also have RA. I also have a similar goal. Recently, I ballooned up to 330# and would like to lose 150#, I am 6'. Diagnosed with RA at the age of 18 and am now 28. I've struggled with weight loss my whole life but have been successful in the past. I just want to find something that will help motivate me to make permanent changes. Good luck in your journey!