Coffee and Weight loss?

Options
AreneeS22
AreneeS22 Posts: 42 Member
So, I absolutely LOVE coffee, but I wonder if maybe I shouldnt be drinking it? I mean, I usually only have a cup or 2 a day, but I've heard some people say its good because it gives you energy, and others say its bad for weight loss because it makes you bloated or something like that... idk... I tried switching it for green tea, but its just not the same =( Dont know that Im ready to give up my coffee!

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't keep you from losing weight (cream & sugar might ;) ). I will never give up coffee. I love coffee and it has some health benefits anyway.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    Coffee, like most things, is fine when you have it in moderation. Do you drink it black or add a bunch of stuff that makes it bad? Coffee by itself shouldn't make you bloated.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    coffee is fine
  • red4560
    red4560 Posts: 32
    Options
    Coffee is awesome! Never give it up! Though if you put a lot of cream and sugar in it, have it in moderation.
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    Coffee is good for weightloss as long as it doesn't have any sugary fatty stuff added to it :)
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I never gave up coffee! In fact I'm drinking it right now. Gives me energy when I need it most (first thing in the morning) and I don't know what I'd do without it! I dropped 40lbs no problem, just kick the creamer and sugar and if you cant do that reach for Stevia and sugar free creamer instead! You'll cut the calories by 1/2 to 3/4!!:drinker:
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    Caffeine is a diuretic, so it should actually help against bloating.
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    I drink several cups of coffee a day and it's not affecting my loss.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    So, I absolutely LOVE coffee, but I wonder if maybe I shouldnt be drinking it? I mean, I usually only have a cup or 2 a day, but I've heard some people say its good because it gives you energy, and others say its bad for weight loss because it makes you bloated or something like that... idk... I tried switching it for green tea, but its just not the same =( Dont know that Im ready to give up my coffee!

Caffeine is a natural diuretic, so it definitely does not bloat you. I agree that it's more about what you do TO your coffee (sugar, cream etc.) than the coffe itself. As long as you aren't cramming in a couple hundred calories of cream and sugar into your cuppa joe, 1 or 2 a day won't hurt you.
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    Don't give up the Joe! I've started drinking a little more as it seems to feed that empty spot with only a few calories.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    coffee is good.... the caffeine is suppose to help speed up your metabolism
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No cafeine as it dehydrates you (diuretic). If you have cafeine, drink extra water to make sure you are properly hydrated.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    coffee is fine it's what you put in it that can make it bad. There has been plenty of research showing benefits of coffee. Not to mention a cup of Joe before a workout can help you out.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    mmm...coffee. I drink it everyday!
  • schaney24
    schaney24 Posts: 11
    Options
    Coffee (plain coffee) is actually good for weight loss. It's a natural stimulant and helps increase your metabolism.
  • kstv
    kstv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just saw a report this week in a study conducted in over 30,000 people over 15 years that the coffee drinkers had less incidents of cancer. The case was compelling for moderate coffee use and it didn't matter if it was de-caf or regular. Just another reason to love our coffee! :-)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I've been having this fight with Coffee for years. I drink 12 oz in the morning and that is it! I have found that coffee is just as good as tea for anti-oxidants and recently studies have shown that if you can handle the caffeine drinking over 4 cups is good health-wise. Drink your cup or 2 of coffee and forget about it...What about all of the tea drinkers who have no problem drinking 5-10 cups per day with Caffeine (now that's a problem.) A couple of cups of coffee a day, and drink your water (6+ glasses per day) to pee out any caffeine is NO problem. I have personally found that drinking coffee makes Me happier and a Happy person is MORE likely to Stay on their Eating Plan! SO, Drink up and be happy!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I drink it twice a day with Splenda of course and it hasn't slowed my weight loss at all. It's actually a appetite suppressant so it aids my diet if anything.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER give up my coffee. LOL I just watch the creamer & sweetners. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    There are claims that coffee makes our body pump out cortisol which CAN be a contributor to belly fat. But cortisol can be good or bad for the body depending on how its used.

Cortisol makes us store fat both directly (through an enzyme that exists on the outside of our cells - LPL) and indirectly (through insulin). But cortisol also works to release fat from our fat cells primarily by stimulating HPL - (on the inside of our cells). So cortisol can make us fatter when insulin levels are elevated (carbs cause elevated insulin levels), but it can also make us leaner when insulin levels are low.

So I don't worry about the cortisol that coffee causes our body to pump out. I think coffee is great stuff and will never give it up!