For all the non believers, Cutting back on junk food matters so much!

Options
MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
edited June 2015 in Success Stories
For my 100th Post, Ill talk about my success so far!

Im a 5'9, 24 year old male. I once weighed a consistent 275, My worst was 282 and at this current moment I am 264.

I just wanted to let people know you CAN do it! The first week you try to cut back it will be hard, but it worth it. In the last 2 weeks I see a huge lose of 17 pounds as I know my body is regulating the water its retaining, and "purging" all the junk from my stomach. You don't need a fancy detox cleanse, or an all protein shake diet to lose it, all you need to do is eat healthy and eat normal meals and your body will bounce back to normal.

The best advice I can give, put a digital scale on your counter. Make it accessible at all moments of cooking or snacking. It will remind you how much you DONT need.

Replies

• saltypancakez
    saltypancakez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far :)

It's true that junk food is the worst thing one can consume; there's pretty much nothing nutrient about it and after a couple of hours of eating it you feel hungry again.

But it tastes so damn good! That's the problem I guess :p

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. I will say though that you could have lost that same weight eating any food with the same number of calories...even "junk" food. It's not the type of food that matters in terms of weight loss but a calorie deficit. It's about how much you eat. I've lost over 90 pounds by eating all sorts of food. Yes, even "junk" food. I had an 8 oz cheeseburger and fries last night and two chocolate chip cookies, and I was down half a pound this morning. I was able to eat those foods and fit them into my calories.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss. I will say though that you could have lost that same weight eating any food with the same number of calories...even "junk" food. It's not the type of food that matters in terms of weight loss but a calorie deficit. It's about how much you eat. I've lost over 90 pounds by eating all sorts of food. Yes, even "junk" food. I had an 8 oz cheeseburger and fries last night and two chocolate chip cookies, and I was down half a pound this morning. I was able to eat those foods and fit them into my calories.

^This, minus their success.
    I've had a similar experience, not 90lbs since I had less to lose.
    But life in far more enjoyable with donuts, ice cream, burgers.
    I'd be a very depressed person living on kale and quinoa.
    Plus burgers are a great source of protein and fat. And nomtastic.
    It's all about balance and moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I totally believe all food is lovely in context. I'm a 5' 4" 54 year old female who used to weigh as much as you. I'm now around the 185 mark. I still enjoy my Cheezies on occasion, and chocolate is divine with it's anti-oxidants. I relate to a food more on it's expense, calorie-wise. Do I want to spend all my calories on a single meal, or would I rather spread it out?

I think old habits have a lot to do with it. We have jumbo size chip bags that invite us to eat them mindlessly in front of the television. It takes a while to scale that down to an appropriate sized snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I commend your success; however, I don't really think it helps to view food as "junk". I agree that reducing calorie dense foods and replace them with more nutrient dense ones is a good idea; however, food is just a source of nutrients and energy, and is not good/bad/clean, etc. At the end of the day what matters is that one is hitting macro/micro/calorie targets in the context of ones overall diet.

If you examined my food diary you would probably see a lot of what you consider "junk" food; however, I have had no issue losing weigh and getting body fat down to sub 15% levels....

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are making changes to improve your health. I think your post is a bit misleading considering you still drink Monster energy drinks and Mountain Dew, plus you had Doritos and Snickers (all within the last week). You are learning to balance of things you enjoy (that are considered junk by some) and foods that will keep you full. Your weight loss is contributed to a big reduction in calories consumed combined with becoming active.

Keep working at it and you will reach your goal!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Then I will revise my remark partially.

Junk food can be a gate way food but yes, calorie deficit matters the most. I personally found that cutting out 90% of junk food and replacing those foods with healthier alternatives has made more a difference in my life than anything else.
  • Meghann1965
    Meghann1965 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!! That's wonderful progress.
    Giving up junk food is hard, because it does taste so good and our taste buds are accustomed to it by now.

Keep up the great work!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. You can do it on donuts if you have the willpower.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely give up junk food, you just have to enjoy the "bad" things in moderation. For example, I had birthday cake as a snack a couple of days last week, and I've lost 150 pounds.

Also congrats on your progress!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Every one is saying the same thing, my title means cutting back, not cutting out. And that's all I mean, Cutting back matters
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Every one is saying the same thing, my title means cutting back, not cutting out. And that's all I mean, Cutting back matters

The title makes it seem as though you cut it all out. We see it often on this site where someone is determined to eat only fruits, vegetables and meat. Cutting back on calorie dense foods makes it much easier to stick to a calorie goal. Finding a way to still eat things we enjoy helps us stick to it long term.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

The title makes it seem as though you cut it all out. We see it often on this site where someone is determined to eat only fruits, vegetables and meat. Cutting back on calorie dense foods makes it much easier to stick to a calorie goal. Finding a way to still eat things we enjoy helps us stick to it long term.

I couldn't agree more with you
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I personally don't dig through the trash, looking for food.

Not doing that, yes, my weight loss has been quite the success!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    I feel bad now... I should have said calorie deficits matter. I should have at least remembered one thing my girlfriend has drilled into my head this last year.
  • UrnAsh_84
    UrnAsh_84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I feel bad now... I should have said calorie deficits matter. I should have at least remembered one thing my girlfriend has drilled into my head this last year.

Don't feel bad. A lot of people here are sensitive to the term "junk food" becauase of the negative association it creates. Food is fuel; it has no inherent goodness or badness.

You've got a lot of points to be proud of in your post:
    • eating normal meals
    • weighing food
    • no need for detoxes and cleanses (there is 1 cleanse that might help, though)
    • positive attitude

All in all, it was a decent 100th post. 6/10, would read again.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Don't feel bad. A lot of people here are sensitive to the term "junk food" becauase of the negative association it creates. Food is fuel; it has no inherent goodness or badness.

• eating normal meals
    • weighing food
    • positive attitude

in for a peep cleanse!
  • MFD7576
    Options

• eating normal meals
    • weighing food
    • positive attitude

Im curious about your cleanse idea, for informational purposes
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!