Exercise with a bad back

Options
Hey peeps.
So I've ruined my back yesterday, my own fault.
I've taken a couple of days off but with all this time on my hands I need to exercise. ☺
I might possibly be able to waddle in and do some isolation work or maybe I should just rest up.

Thoughts?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rest...would be my suggestion...don't screw around with your back.
  • bugfrogmom
    bugfrogmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain. Gentle yoga is immensely helpful to me. I also have several DVDs that are specifically designed to alleviate back pain, both upper and lower. I hope you feel better soon!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my back, and so need to change my lifting routine. So confused about what to do.

Anyway, rest for a bit and then slowly get back into it. Good Luck.
  • Jesshadley0924
    Jesshadley0924 Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a bad back also. When it's hurting to bad I'll just do some very light walking on soild ground (no treadmill or elliptical) along with rest and plenty of ice or hot packs. But I also do yoga! It's so great to stretch out tight spots in your back as well as tighten your core muscles to support your back better!
  • DanLeManII
    DanLeManII Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Yep yoga is on my list.
    as well as pain killers, whisky & binge tv
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Rest for first 24-48 hours, use the RICE method (rest, ice, compress, elevate) then the STARR method for rehab - scroll down to "Bill Starr Rehab for Muscle Pulls"

A lot of people swear by this for low back pain/rehab:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI&list=WL&index=14

Do this regularly. It will save your back.
  • Loly1210
    Loly1210 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swimming and pilates best for the back....

• jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I pulled something in my back while trying to keep up with the kids at the water park. It was very unpleasant. I kept a constant stream of ibuprofen going to keep the inflammation down and kept moving as best I could -- walking around the resort, doing a load of laundry, light stuff like that. I didn't lift a weight, run or anything like that -- I gave it time to work itself out. It took 2-3 days to get to feeling anything close to "normal", then I started doing some light stuff and paid close attention to how I was feeling. If I felt things tightening up again, I'd back off.

I avoided the booze during this time since not only is it full of calories, it also messes with my sleep and I was already having enough trouble sleeping due to the tight muscles and sharing a hotel room with my family. I didn't need any additional things to mess it up. Plus painkillers and alcohol are not really fantastic to mix, anyway.