Workout muscles after c-section..???

Options
I had my baby through c-section a few years ago. I can do sit ups and crunches and planks until I'm red in the face but I can't seem to get rid of this pouch. I'm generally conscious of what I eat so I was hoping for some suggestions on maybe more intense fat burning exercises. Any ideas are helpful!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you have diastasis recti? That would be the first thing that I would determine.

After that, it is a matter of losing overall body fat (because spot reduction of fat is impossible) through a caloric deficit. Plus, doing ab work and strength training (lift weights) helps strengthen those muscles and, once you are no longer eating in a deficit, can help build muscle.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is it possible that you have diastasis recti? That would be the first thing that I would determine.

After that, it is a matter of losing overall body fat (because spot reduction of fat is impossible) through a caloric deficit. Plus, doing ab work and strength training (lift weights) helps strengthen those muscles and, once you are no longer eating in a deficit, can help build muscle.
    ^ agreed.

• Jesshadley0924
    Jesshadley0924 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hmm I've never heard of that I will check into that now. Thank you! :)
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section too and I started working out consistently 2 months afterwards but it hasn't been until I truly made sure I was doing a calorie deficit that I started to finally lose that lower pouch. I found success in lifting more weights and I weighed everything or measured my food because although I thought I was eating healthy I had hit a brick wall with losing the excess that I wanted. When I did this, that's when my abs started to show through. It's possible so don't get frustrated (I know I was):)!
  • Jesshadley0924
    Jesshadley0924 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reassurance jocey!! I'll be putting more effort into and watching my serving sizes better now.
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :) it helped me when I got frustrated, just know that it will go away! :)
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You really need to make sure you're at a calorie deficit. I've always been careful to eat healthy, but during and after pregnancies, my appetite was crazy and if I don't actually log my food, I overeat. I had 2 C-sections and had strong abs before having the babies and worked hard after to get them back. I can see some definition, but it's really more about the food than it is about the workouts.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I started doing lower ab exercises (leg lifts and such) I started to notice a big difference in my stomach, especially just above my csection scar. I also had my hips rotate forward (back to how they were pre-baby) and I stopped having issues with thinking I was going to piddle a little when I had a coughing fit. Take it slow and don't overdo it, the scar can take some work to soften up!