PCOS motivation

Options
i, Im new to this app and looking for motivation or tips. I was diagnosed with PCOS Feb 2014 while in Europe. My husband and I was trying to concive and tried for a year and a half. I use to weigh 134 when I met my husband and hoping to get back to that. Also my doctor told me if I lost weight I would have a small chance of getting pregnant faster. I was on metformin and hated it and I was taken off. So now Im on a journey to get fit and feel better and when God sees fit have a child. If anyone knows any workouts or foods that are great let me know. :) Thanks

Replies

• laurakelly6
    laurakelly6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey sprinklebug! This app is definitely going to help you in your journey! As far as nutrition goes, I recently discovered a cookbook/blog called Oh She Glows. It has amazing, healthy, vegan recipes for every meal. There's a little something for everyone! Teaches a lot of ways to substitute unhealthy foods with healthy ones and keeping the integrity of your meal!! I wish you good luck! If you are looking for a MFP friend, feel free to friend me!
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle bug, as much as I think Vegan diets have much to offer PCOS folks need good sources of low carbohydrate lean protein and purely vegetarian sources are not the best. If you are not already vegan, suggest you not rule out fish, egg whites, and white meat poultry for protein sources. Also suggest you stay away from vegan (fake) cheese, way, way too much sodium. Better off with the real thing. Best to meet with a dietician well versed on the PCOS diet. I know you will reach your goal, the folks on MFP are great at providing support.
  • R7rocks
    R7rocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi sprinklebug! I was diagnosed with pcos 20 years ago. I too was told it would be hard to conceive - and we failed for the first two years. I was much heavier than you, but I when I got active (really active) and started dropping weight, boom, I got pregnant. Every time. I now have 4 kids. My ob/gyn really pushed the high protein/low carb diet. Granted, every time I got pregnant my activity level and diet went out the window. I am finally trying to get back on track again. For me, I know the exercise is what really makes the difference to turn pcos on its head. Good luck.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    There's a PCOS group called P.C.O.SIS

I'd suggest looking it up because so many women on there are struggling with their weight with this diagnosis. Some are looking to get pregnant, but many are simply looking to better their health.

My doctor suggested a diabetic-style diet (low carb, low sugar). I eat vegetarian/pescatarian (very little fish), so my suggestions were a bit different from what someone might suggest for someone who eats meat. Here's what I was told (I definitely suggest you visit a dietitian/nutritionist for more exact advice):
    Per day:
    1-3 tbsp seeds
    no flour products (nut flours are ok)
    2-3 fruits a day (she said if 3 then 2 should be citrus...I'm not sure if I think this is the best advice)- berries are ok
    2-4 vegetable servings at EVERY meal
    protein is an accompaniment and should be kept to a palm sized amount per meal
    eggs are really good
    cheese is ok, but should not be overdone farmers cheese and feta-type cheese are best
    exercise one hour a day (I haven't gotten this down yet)

She also suggested I visit a reproductive endocrinologist since I am also hoping to conceive (I went to the doctor when I hadn't gotten my period for 3 months after finishing birth control). The RE told me that losing weight wasn't going to make a big difference for me since I'm not really overweight. However, my doctor said she'd like to see me at a BMI of under 24. She'd rather see me closer to 21. From the research I've done, some weight loss can make a big difference in your symptoms.

From personal experience, cutting the sugar in my diet has increased my energy level significantly and decreased my hunger/crashes as well. I do not think all people need to cut sugar from their diet, but I've found it helpful for my experience with this condition. When I eat more sugar, I'm ravenous all the time! I also feel like I need a nap in the early afternoon every day! Now, I feel like I can deal with hunger a lot better without getting quite as cranky, which also helps me control my eating more. I definitely eat a lot, still, and at first this many vegetables took some getting used to! I thought I was eating SO MUCH FOOD AND NOT ENOUGH CALORIES! Adding in nut butters and fats has helped me to manage my calories better.
  • staacy1
    staacy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    There's a PCOS group called P.C.O.SIS

Can you link this group? I'd like to get some ideas on what others have done for diet. I was diagnosed back in 98 and have had a successful pregnancy after that. But only after I lost 70lbs. And not the way I should have. I have tried eating right and working out. Everytime I hit a brick wall at some point, get discouraged and give up. I have to stick with this or I won't live long enough to see my baby grow up.

Thanks in advance,
    Stacy

• kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is a book I read when I started realizing that it was the pcos making me gain weight. It was so helpful in terms of foods to eat and avoid and workout ideas. It also has info for other aspects of life including pregnancy so that would be helpful for you. It is called the ultimate pcos handbook and I got it on amazon. Its $18ish but worth the money. I definitely recommend it!