Reducing carbs and increasing proteins

Options
Hi there,
I am looking for some input on how I can reduce my carbs and increase my proteins. I eat mainly a vegetarian diet as my hubby is vegetarian (I am not). I also eat a lot of fruit. I am open to some suggestions as my can intake is about 60 - 65% and my protein intake is about 16%

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try searching Google or Pinterest for low-carb vegetarian meals.. I used be a vegan and struggled with eating a higher carb/lower protein diet. Spaghetti squash was a helpful vehicle for a lot of lower carb vegan meals. I would make lentil meatballs or something similar and eat it with the squash.. I also would make and freeze bean burgers and eat those on a salad or make lentil "tacos" in a lettuce wrap to reduce the carbs in that way. Just try increasing your veggies quite a bit while eating things like lentils, beans, and brown rice in smaller portions. Look at the amount of carbs in the fruits you choose to eat as well, some are surprisingly high in carbs. Hope this helps! :)
  • Superwitty34
    Superwitty34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying adding protein powder shakes to your diet. Protein powder has really helped me to up the protein in my diet. Also low-fat (light) cheese is great too. I also eat cottage cheese and lentils.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eating less fruit will reduce carbs, especially the highest carb ones like banana and grapes. Egg and cheese are practically zero carb and have a good fat:protein ratio too. Start the day with an omelette or bacon & egg.

Your diary is closed so we can't see what you eat now in detail.
  • Jroma75
    Jroma75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat less fruit and add a protein powder to your diet (a good one some are just garbage). You can also have eggs and greek yogurt.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always have precooked chicken breast and beef in the fridge, as well as other meats for snacks. How about hard boiled eggs? Deli meat? Various cheeses?
    Since you aren't vegetarian you can easily add a meat source to your meals and just cut down on portions of other items.
  • angelahanoski
    angelahanoski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you, these are great suggestions and seem simple to implement. I will give them a go.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    One breakfast I like is eggs scrambled with green peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach... Mixed with pasta zero shirataki noodles. Very low carb... You can find pasta zero under the fresh mushrooms at Walmart.