What's your favorite smoothie?

Options
amyhollar
amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
I'm thinking about investing in a VitaMix so I'm looking for delicious smoothie recipes, especially "green" smoothies that involve vegetables! Also, any blender recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Apple, pear, carrot and ginger - cannot be beaten for a homemade smoothie :)

**Lays down the gauntlet**

:laugh:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Before you by the Vitamix check out the Ninja Storm 400 on QVC it got good reviews in the consumers guide and i believe it makes things hot for soup and cold for ice cream Just a thought
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i just throw whatever I have in the blender, most of the time its awesome lol.. you have to know what fruits and veggies go to gether though.. spinach is an easy add in for color and nutrition.. frozen banana's give awesome texture..
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You will love it! I purchased a Vitamix from QVC last month and i just about use it everyday. The smoothies are delish, and you can make so many different kinds. this morning I made one with spincah, carotts, strawberries, blueberries and apples and a little bit of low fat yogurt. You cant even taste the spinach just in case you dont like the taste of spinach but you can get all the vitamins from it. It comes with a DVD, recipe booklet etc. You can also cook in it to make soups and dips etc. My husband and little girl like mixing all different sorts of fruits as well and instead of sugary desserts we just make smoothies most of the time. I really love mine, cant you tell LOL! Try to get one on a deal like through QVC if you watch that show because they are pretty pricey, but a good investment, just make sure you register it with the Vitamix company for the warranty. Also get one with the dry mix container so you can grind your own coffee, grains, and meal to make bread etc.. It can really help you eat healtheir IMO! Go for it!
  • ohgeez10
    ohgeez10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've owned a Vitamix for at least 3-4 years now. Best kitchen appliance I own. Worth every penny.

It comes with a nice recipe book. After a couple of years following some of the recipes, I've come up with my own.

One of my favorite shakes for breakfast or after a workout is:

1 small banana (half banana if its not small)
    1/2 apple
    1 small orange
    1 cup of mixed berries which usually include, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
    1 cup of skim milk or soy milk
    splash of agave
    4-6 ice cubes
    * protein powder on my workout days- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein from trader joes.

Sounds like a lot but once you blend it all together, its not.

If you want to have fewer calories then minus the protein powder or the milk and use water instead.
  • amyhollar
    Options
    You will love it! I purchased a Vitamix from QVC last month and i just about use it everyday. The smoothies are delish, and you can make so many different kinds. this morning I made one with spincah, carotts, strawberries, blueberries and apples and a little bit of low fat yogurt. You cant even taste the spinach just in case you dont like the taste of spinach but you can get all the vitamins from it. It comes with a DVD, recipe booklet etc. You can also cook in it to make soups and dips etc. My husband and little girl like mixing all different sorts of fruits as well and instead of sugary desserts we just make smoothies most of the time. I really love mine, cant you tell LOL! Try to get one on a deal like through QVC if you watch that show because they are pretty pricey, but a good investment, just make sure you register it with the Vitamix company for the warranty. Also get one with the dry mix container so you can grind your own coffee, grains, and meal to make bread etc.. It can really help you eat healtheir IMO! Go for it!

Thank you so much!!! Especially for the tip on getting one with the dry mix container- such a good idea!
  • amyhollar
    Options
    I've owned a Vitamix for at least 3-4 years now. Best kitchen appliance I own. Worth every penny.

It comes with a nice recipe book. After a couple of years following some of the recipes, I've come up with my own.

One of my favorite shakes for breakfast or after a workout is:

1 small banana (half banana if its not small)
    1/2 apple
    1 small orange
    1 cup of mixed berries which usually include, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
    1 cup of skim milk or soy milk
    splash of agave
    4-6 ice cubes
    * protein powder on my workout days- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein from trader joes.

Sounds like a lot but once you blend it all together, its not.

If you want to have fewer calories then minus the protein powder or the milk and use water instead.

sounds awesome! Out of curiousity, how much sugar is in the Trader Joes vanilla whey protein?
  • amyhollar
    Options
    Apple, pear, carrot and ginger - cannot be beaten for a homemade smoothie :)

**Lays down the gauntlet**

:laugh:

Sounds super yummy! how much fresh ginger do you use?
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    im gonna make this one!