Leg day = gain a pound?

Options
rd2bme
rd2bme Posts: 14 Member
is it normal to gain a pound after leg day? I mean the kind of leg day where you can now apply for a handicap plaque? I didn't eat poorly so hoping this is normal

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yes. Water retention. Your body is more than 50% water and water weights nearly 8lbs per gallon.
  • TexasPatriot
    TexasPatriot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ^^ What he said
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Water weight, yes. It will go away.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's normal for your weight to fluctuate daily one to two pounds....and that kind of leg day sounds like you may have gained a pound of muscle! :) I was up two pounds after my leg day on Friday! It's depressing for the number to go up but when I look at my body I know that number doesn't matter!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Your body weight naturally fluctuates by up to 5 lbs every day.

If you gained 10 lbs, I'd be asking questions. 1 lb is nothing. Ignore it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's normal for your weight to fluctuate daily one to two pounds....and that kind of leg day sounds like you may have gained a pound of muscle! :) I was up two pounds after my leg day on Friday! It's depressing for the number to go up but when I look at my body I know that number doesn't matter!!

You did not gain a pound of muscle from one workout. Water weight for sure. Half the time I can't get my jeans up the day after leg day.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Plus your weight is going to fluctuate several pounds in either direction. From water retention, if you haven't had a bowl movement that day, or if you've had several. Try to weigh yourself under the exact same conditions everytime, it'll help keep your weigh ins more accurate
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it is normal for your weight to fluctuate...body weight isn't static. it may or may not have anything to do with leg day. weight fluctuates...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I lost two pounds between yesterday and today. Look at the trends, not the day to day changes in weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

image.png
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've gained 5-6 lbs overnight on occasion.
  • rd2bme
    rd2bme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok I appreciate that news!! May just stay off the scale for a few days after legs from here on.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles will definitely retain more muscle. I can't imagine the retention level is particularly correlated with soreness.
    I know everyone throws around the adage "no pain, no gain", but soreness is really in no way an indicator of muscle growth, nor even necessary for it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    rd2bme wrote: »
    Ok I appreciate that news!! May just stay off the scale for a few days after legs from here on.

There's no reason to avoid the scale unless you emotionally can't handle the daily ups and downs. Frankly, I think it's better to see the number every day because it helps you to understand that we are never a static weight. Instead of a single number our weight is more like a 5 pound range because of all of the fluctuations. As long as the number you see each morning as soon as you take your morning pee and in only your underwear is gradually trending downward then everything is fine.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Sore muscles will definitely retain more muscle. I can't imagine the retention level is particularly correlated with soreness.
    I know everyone throws around the adage "no pain, no gain", but soreness is really in no way an indicator of muscle growth, nor even necessary for it.

Try saying that to Mr. Schwarzenegger.

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I usually am 3-4 lbs heavier on Monday after Saturday leg workout

I am optimistic to put on 1/4 pound of muscle.

I also eat maintenance calories on that Saturday.

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    rd2bme wrote: »

There's no reason to avoid the scale unless you emotionally can't handle the daily ups and downs. Frankly, I think it's better to see the number every day because it helps you to understand that we are never a static weight. Instead of a single number our weight is more like a 5 pound range because of all of the fluctuations. As long as the number you see each morning as soon as you take your morning pee and in only your underwear is gradually trending downward then everything is fine.

I agree. I am much less emotional about the number since I have started weighing myself every day. It helps that I have a wifi scale so I don't have to log it myself. Sometimes, after a night out, I don't look at the number until several days later (I'll stand on the scale before putting in my contact lenses) . The biggest variation for me has been about 3 pounds from day to day.

Trendweight.com also helps take away any emotional connection to the day to day number.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."

That's inspirational, but to ultimately equate this to "muscle soreness = muscle gains" is broscience. Muscle soreness is due to an accumulation of lactic acid, and has little to do with actual muscular damage and, ultimately, reparation and growth.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Nice argument from false authority. If I'm ever running a stack of dianabol, I'll consider his advice. Otherwise, I have to consider I'm under the limitations of normal physiology and need to recover before I can have a muscle grow again.
    Also let me know when Arnold's completed his research paper on the subject using actual measurements of protein synthesis rates.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I gain about 2lbs after lifting weights the day before. I try to drink more water those days but it goes down by the next day or two. I like to know what I weigh but I try to be less concerned with the number and more concerned with how I look and feel