How long before you stop "just counting" and start looking at macros.

Options
I've been using MFP for almost a month and I have learned a lot from the community, including "just start tracking and worry about macros later".

Ok, sure...when is later?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If that's the advice you got, then you were listening to the wrong people.

Counting calories and watching macros are not mutually exclusive. You should be doing both at the same time.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Other than protein, which I emphasized from the beginning, it was probably six months or so before I started tracking the others.

I don't have the app I was using handy, but I think that was after I got out of Obese II, Obese, and was into "just" overweight BMI.

If you're comfortable with tracking calories and you know what you want to target for macros, later is probably now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you get interested in it and think "I wonder what the feck this macros malarkey is all about"

That's when

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Counting calories and watching macros are not mutually exclusive. You should be doing both at the same time.
    They aren't mutually exclusive, but that doesn't necessarily mean every user needs to jump into tracking both right away.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable with eating within your calories and the idea of possibly needing to adjust what you eat to hit your macros doesn't freak you out, then start looking at macros. :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use my macros as a guideline. I never hit them exactly. If I am within a few percentage points for all of them, I'm good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I still focus on calories primarily but always cast an eye on whether I'm hitting my protein minimum...and secondarily my fat ...I'm not quite as good at hitting fat for some reason
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

They aren't mutually exclusive, but that doesn't necessarily mean every user needs to jump into tracking both right away.

Maybe not...but I still think the best advice - even for a new user - would at least to be mindful of the macro breakdown of one's diet - even if not specifically tracking.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to get calorie tracking down correctly. I do pay more attention to my proteins.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for almost a month and I have learned a lot from the community, including "just start tracking and worry about macros later".

Any time you want to... or never.
    I started paying more attention to things like protein early on because it helps me to feel more satisfied if I have enough.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My protein level is what I'm most concerned about. It's always much lower than the recommended amount. I don't want the lack of protein to be detrimental to my health.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only macro I really look at is protein, but that's because, as a runner, I want to make sure that I get enough to repair damaged muscle tissue.
  • LilyBentley2013
    LilyBentley2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, it was about a year in. When I first started MFP consistently losing weight was the only goal. I did that, lost 30 lbs the first year, no exercise just calorie counting. Now I try to keep to high protein, high fiber as I am trying to recomp my body rather than weight loss. I'm a fan of protein but also simplicity so if you're losing/maintaning where you'd like right now then I wouldn't worry too much about small deficiencies. Just take a multi and enjoy the shrink/gain. You look young in your pic so it's not really an immediate issue. Worry more about consistency and enjoying it first.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

this advise is often given to noobs because calories are numero uno....they are the most important thing...and far too often, noobs put a lot of energy and effort into less important things.

It's important to learn how to control your calorie intake first...once you've got that under control you can start really looking at your nutrition and striving for a more balanced macro-nutrient intake.

There is no magic "when"...if you have the whole calorie thing under control...meaning you are being as accurate as possible and the weight is coming off, etc then you can start placing some focus on macro-nutrient break down. That said, IMO, far too many people are overly consumed with their macros...they are great to be aware of and they can help you balance out your nutrition...but I see far too much hand wringing over not hitting exactly X grams of this of that and it's a bit silly given that for most of us, it's not really all that important.