Any tips for soothing and working with having a bunion?

Options
MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
Hey guys,

As title implies, im just looking for tips from the masses on how to help this current predicament im in.

I went to the foot doctor and she gave me a cream, but it isn't helping anything. I feel like I have a bone spur it hurts so much lol and im avoiding going to see them again.

Really makes running uncomfortable. Could compressing it help? like wrapping it before I put my shoe on?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Did you ask her what activities you could do and what to wear? Are you considering surgery?
  • MFD7576
    Options
    She said its too soon for surgery, im too young. I wouldn't mind it but I would wanna lose some weight before I did. So I can not get on a health kick and then have it swiftly inhibited lol She also told me that nothing will further the injury, and I guess low impact was her recommendation too. It hurts even to stand on too though. Shooting pain while im sitting sometimes
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've had a pretty prominent bunion on my left foot and a mild/moderate one on my right foot since I was about 12 and around that time I got my first custom orthotic inserts (also have flat feet) getting wider shoes have helped so now I only feel pain when I'm wearing shoes that are too tight. I've never heard of a cream being used on bunions, though I've also never heard them called an injury either so maybe I just don't know enough about them.

I was told by my podiatrist, that as long as the bunions aren't impacting my daily life, aka walking around at home or at work, I don't need surgery but should consider it in the future. If your bunion is already affecting how you feel just standing, I think you should have another talk with your podiatrist and possibly seek a second opinion on having surgery.

My only recommendations are 1) wide WIDE shoes, for running I would definitely bring up the bunion to the running store and ask for a wider size. If you feel any pressure on it while standing there, just trying on the shoes, you can bet it is going to hurt/rub when you're on a run. After my first half marathon I had an awful blood blister on my bunion and after mile 8 I felt it with every step I took. 2) if the pain is from blisters that have formed, you can get some little rubber bunion covers in drug stores in the bandage area. That usually covers the area but again, you have to have wide shoes to accommodate them otherwise you're just putting excess pressure on the area.

Good luck! I hope you find something that will work for you!
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had surgery already on 1 foot, but not the other (yet). Bone chilling pain when walking and I was done on the left one. I use foam toe spacers that you can buy on Amazon. They're cheap and can be used alone or you can double them up depending on the space you need to align the toe correctly. Don't get gels - just foam. Then I just put my sock on, sneaker on and walk. Make sure you have good arch supports and use the spacers and that should help with the pain. My foot that's had surgery - zero pain. It's a beautiful thing. The biggest thing is focusing on what you need to do to align the joint as straight as possible. Even if you do that with your hands, you'll notice it alleviates a lot of the pain. Good luck!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Thanks guys, Awesome tips and awesome food for thought. I have a check up appointment with my doctor coming soon so hopefully I can talk about options. Girlfriend also told me to get a second opinion before I do surgery. Kinda sucks that it seems to be an issue only corrected my surgery or you risk crippling yourself from normal day to day activity :( What sucks the most, is that I finally try to lose weight, and Im hit by a wall that losing weight wont alleviate (like a knee pain or something that would). Tis life though, Im already planning ahead my time off :D All the video game time in the world!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes are wide enough! Really!

Do weights + food deficit to lose weight. I don't know WHY people are always pushing folks who are quite overweight to run. To me, at least, it seems like a terrible idea because your chance of injury is so high.

Weights--try stronglift 5x5 or Lean Gains--will totally change your body composition. And it will be gentle on your feet. Once you're down to a heathlier weight such that you won't pound your joints even with "low impact," add in some cardio or HIIT (honestly, I'm MUCH less injury-prone on HIIT!) for cardio conditioning.

There is no reason that you have to run ever if it's not comfortable to you. Running is the #1 that triggers my exercise-induced anaphylaxis, it messes up my dodgy knees, and it makes my bunion flare up. :) Do what works--and what works for everyone who wants to change body composition is diet deficit + picking up heavy things!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I like the silicone toe spacers better than the foam, BTW. :)

Bunion pain can be improved with strengthening the feet, depending on the severity.

I'd bet cold, hard cash that your shoes are too narrow still, though. :)
  • runner805
    runner805 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I buy Asics (a size bigger than normal), tie my shoes funky (google running shoe lacing for bunions), and wear Bunion Booties when I run....well actually one one because I only have the bunion on one foot. It's very thin so doesn't crowd my foot/bunion and it feels better, especially when I run trails or hike because it separates my toes and it feels like my toes are splaying better, which makes me feel like I have better balance and grip on trails. Oh and avoid restrictive shoes when not running! Best of luck to you!! :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Wide toe box shoes, not necessarily wide width shoes.
    Altra makes a wide toebox but they're zero drop and only neutral shoes.
    Newtons are decently roomy.

I'd hit up a running store while you wait for that second opinion