Chicken breast recipes

Options
gs0403
gs0403 Posts: 38 Member
hey everyone,

looking for chicken breast recipes...I find when I make it in the oven it comes out so bland and dry and I hate eating it..during summer months I usually make it on the bbq but come winter months I don't know how to make it...any good recipes, seasonings, ways of cooking it?

Replies

• janana81
    janana81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Crock pot! That has been my fave. You can throw it with regular salsa or salsa Verde and shred it up...makes for some killer juicy tacos...or throw it in with BBQ and make pulled ckn BBQ sandwiches. I also like to throw it in with mushrooms, garlic, sliced onion and mushroom soup. Make some rice on the side. Or you can even do a crock pot ckn cacciatore or ckn Marsala. Mmmmmm. I am starving...haha
  • cre8tivepassions
    cre8tivepassions Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marinade it with Italian dressing (low fat) and cook it in a skillet with olive oil. Medium heat, with a top over it.
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try using thighs instead of breasts. Easier to portion out, also commonly boneless/skinless, and far tastier. Price is generally similar.

If I'm grilling, I get the meat out 30 minutes before it hits the grill to warm up a bit. Also helps with sticking.

I also use a fast read meat thermometer to stop cooking chicken as soon as it's done.
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can also pound it flat for quicker and more even cooking.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to make chicken in the oven is with a honey-mustard sauce/glaze. I just mix equal parts yellow mustard & stone-ground mustard, and half the amount of honey. Then I either spread it over the chicken or mix diced chicken into it and bake. I normally mix it with brown rice and a veggie, but it's good with some lightly buttered pasta too.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has tons of chicken recipes. I more often than not use thighs in place of breasts- juicier, smaller, and tastier. I grill mostly. Buy in bulk, put on a rub/marinade, vacuum seal and freeze. marinates as it thaws.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree set it out early while preparing the grill. You never want to put cold protein right out of the frig on the grill. I usually season with a marinade or at the very least healthy oil and seasoning, salt and/or pepper. Grill on medium high and check temp with a thermometer. Then the absolutely most important thing let it rest covered with foil after you take it off the grill. I usually let it rest 10 to 15 minutes. It lets the juices redistribute in the protein. It will be nice and moist.

Here are some seasoning ideas:
    Lemon pepper + smoked paprika
    Herbs de Provenance + salt + pepper
    Sazon
    Piri Piri Seasoning or Marinade
    Greek Seasoning

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html

I also like to bake bone in skin on chicken breast in the oven. I rub with minced garlic, olive oil and blackening seasoning. Bake at 350 for about a hour or to internal temp of 165. Let rest again.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    for bone in "crack" chicken.. try skinnytaste asian glazed drumsticks. I've used thighs for it as well. or pollo sabroso..
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/broiled-or-grilled-pollo-sabroso.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby loves it when I prepare it as a schnitzel. Always tender.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    gs0403 wrote: »
    hey everyone,

looking for chicken breast recipes...I find when I make it in the oven it comes out so bland and dry and I hate eating it..during summer months I usually make it on the bbq but come winter months I don't know how to make it...any good recipes, seasonings, ways of cooking it?

If it is dry, you are probably overcooking it. Also, you need to let it rest for a few minutes after coming off the heat. When you cook it right, the texture is much improved. Easy way to tell if it is done is poke it. If it feels as hard as your forehead, you overcooked. If it feels like your nose, it needs more time. If it feels a bit like your chin, it is pretty close to done. Do not cut it before resting it. Do not skip resting.

My basic go to recipe for chicken breast is just to bake it with a pinch of salt, pepper, and some smoked paprika. I bake at 350 till done, rest, slice.

Sometimes I add a squeeze of lemon (fresh only please). If you want more bang, melt a pat of butter and then mix it with juice of a lemon and put it on after it rests. Careful on the butter use for obvious reasons though.

Play with your spices - cumin for a tex mex flavor or kick it up with some read pepper. You can go Mediterranean or Indian with the right spices. Google Indian Spices - you'll see.

Other heat methods too - someone said crock pot. That is braising. Great way to go - tender as can be. You can grill. Just had fajita's last night and for those, grilled is a great way to go for the vegetables and the chicken tenders.

I make my own bbq sauces - they taste way better and I control the sugar that goes in. It isn't hard to do.

but no matter what flavors you go for, it is always going to go back to cooking it properly. No spice or sauce can make up for overcooking and lack of resting (and that is true of most meats you cook).
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hubby loves it when I prepare it as a schnitzel. Always tender.

yum, of course. Lots of flavor, but frying also adds a lot of fat and carbs.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake mine with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and salt and pepper. It sounds like you are over-cooking it. I roast mine at 425 until it's firm but not hard. I've never heard the forehead/nose/chin guide, but it seems about right. I usually make a big batch at once and immediately transfer the whole batch to a container I can seal or a gallon ziploc freezer bag to cool. This seems to help lock in more moisture. This is my basic chicken that I use for everything. For serving it "plain", I like to use buffalo wing sauce or barbeque sauce or even a raspberry jalapeno dipping sauce. I will admit that I will pretty much never eat plain cooked chicken, even off the grill because I find it very boring.

If you are good at grilling, notice the texture/feel of the chicken when it's done right and replicate that with the oven. If you normally cook for 30 minutes and it's overcooked, then start check at 20 minutes. If you aren't positive it's done, but think it might be, let it rest at least 5 minutes, then slice in to the thickest part of the biggest piece and check.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like to make a quick stir fry with chicken breast
  • lovelyhulett
    lovelyhulett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste has so many chicken recipes I have the cookbook and been making a few of the recipes this week. The chicken Parmesan is amazing. Hope this helps :)
  • sarahopelor
    sarahopelor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mix honey and mustard and a couple other spices in a bag then marinate the chicken in the bag in the fridge for about as long as it takes to make a salad or finish my side dish and put in the oven. Then I put the chicken on a hot skillet and cover it. 12 minutes on each side (I like to make sure NY chicken is completely cooked, sometimes i end up over cooking it). I'll put some water in the pan too or some of the marinade so it can add steam then cook it off. It's really easy and super yummy
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cut it into chunks and sauté with veggies, then make a quesadilla! My 4 year old and husband both LOVE them. I usually use portabella mushrooms, onions and bell peppers with reduced fat shredded Mexican mix cheese and whole wheat tortillas. So yummy!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    1 lb. chicken breast
    1/2 bottle balsalmic vinegrette
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. parsley, basil & oregano
    1/2 ball of mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
    2 plum tomatoes (thinly sliced)
    8 basil leaves

Mix together seasonings (including garlic powder). Sprinkle over chicken breasts. Place breasts in glass baking dish (9x13 works well) and cover with half bottle of balsalmic vinegrette. Bake at 350^ for 20 minutes. Pull out of oven and place basil leaves on top of chicken (2 per breast), put thin slices of tomatoes over basil leaves and mozzarella on top of that. Place in oven for additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Stir frying is great, too.

You just cut up the chicken into chunks. You can add seasoning like ginger, garlic powder, or garlic to the chicken before you start stir frying in a bit of olive oil. Then add cut-up vegetables like carrots, peppers, onions, broccoli, green beans, or whatever you like. (Dense vegetables first so they cook longer.) Toward the end you can add canned pineapple chunks (save juice), and a little bit of cooked pasta. Then mix 1/2 cup of pineapple juice, 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce or teriyaki sauce, 1 or 2 T cornstarch, and 1/2 T olive oil. Stir that into the stir frying chicken and vegetables until the sauce thickens.

Yummy and healthy with all those great vegetables.

70044776.png
  • hmduke430
    hmduke430 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bake my chicken with potatoes and carrots, onions and celery all diced. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and diced garlic. If you like it spicy add some hot pepper flakes. Cook in a Dutch oven. I cook it at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. A little water or butter to keep it fRom sticking! I always check the meat to see I'd it is still pink or white when done
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Chicken is so easy to change its flavour. Lots of good suggestions already. Try stuffing the chicken with mushrooms, peas, onions, cheese slice. For a fruity flavour make a pocket in the breast and put an orange or lemon slice in. Poached chicken is good too. Crunchy chicken with poppy seeds and a coating of non wheat flour of choice.