Weights and injury

Options
I have recently started working out again and was very excited to do that but I am getting frustrated.

I had an old back injury and it is healed but flair up now and again and have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left wrist. I find it painful to lift weights some days. The frustration is worse than the pain and I find myself getting sort of angry with myself that I can't push through it.

I'm just looking for some advice or motivation from anyone who is or has experienced the frustration of being limited from working out due to injury.

How do you deal with it?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do" - John Wooden (though I originally got it in a fortune cookie)

It sucks being injured. Believe me, I've been off and on injured for 3 years now.
    And I've finally, in the last year and some odd months, gotten that quote through my stubborn head.
    Ok, so I can't run, but I can walk. So I walk.
    Ok, so I can't do weighted squats, but I can do unweighted squats. So I do.
  • nicki003
    nicki003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

But I wanted to thank you.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wrote this for someone who injured their back:
    Rest for first 24-48 hours, use the RICE method (rest, ice, compress, elevate) then the STARR method for rehab - scroll down to "Bill Starr Rehab for Muscle Pulls"

A lot of people swear by this for low back pain/rehab:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI&list=WL&index=14

Do this regularly. It will save your back.

As for the Carpal Tunnel, I've never dealt with that, but there are always ways to modify the workout. Instead of push ups with wrists bent, do push ups off your knuckles (on a pad if you must). Perhaps invest in wrist wraps and tighten it around your wrist before you lift. Do extra leg work and only a selection of upper body that does not hurt your wrist. If it only hurts when you push weight, how about pulling motions from the wrist (deadlift, pull up/chin up / cable pull downs, rows with machine/barbell/dumbbell, etc.).
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been there. My spine and left arm are pretty messed up from when I was in the Army, and they're pretty much as recovered as I can expect by this point.

Learn to know the difference between status quo pain and pain that happens when you make your injuries worse. The first you can probably push through if you're able, and the second you shouldn't. I would also talk with a sports medicine doctor or someone if you're able, to figure out what you can and can't safely do. Figure out alternative exercises when necessary.

Besides all that, don't beat yourself up about it. Keep doing what you can; after all, that's all anyone can do.
  • CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? I have heard that it has worked well for some people with injuries.
  • kerrynlouise96
    kerrynlouise96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to see an exercise physiologist ☺ some gyms have , otherwise alot of physiotherapy clinics employ them too. They can give you an excerise program tailored to helping recover from any injuries while giving you the best workout possible... I work as a receptionist at a physio. We get alot of people coming to see our ex phys for things like this :)