running shoes

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
can someone please recommend a good running shoe for running & for fitness such as turbofire. I'm not interested in the vibram five fingers, just a good old pair of running shoes that are good for running, plyometrics, kickboxing etc?

any suggestions? I'm on a budget, so something reasonably priced would be wonderful :)
thankyou!!!

Replies

• Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    bump
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    just purchased asics gel-1150's from zappos. Mid $70's price range, I think.... Love.
    Comfortable right out of the box. I'd been a nike gal for decades....
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other things but I am a runner (indoor and outdoor) and for me it just doesn't get any better than a good pair of New Balance. I'm sure though it's all opinionated and depends on your body personally as to what shoe is best for you.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    You should go to a sports store, get your feet fitted for a shoe for you. I use Asics because I have fallen arches.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I recently got the Nike Free Runs and like them lots (unlike any other Nike I've ever tried, they actually fit my feet). They're semi-minimalist shoes, if you're into that sort of thing. They're very comfy, almost slipper-like.

That said, I couldn't urge you enough to go to a running store and have them fit you. The perfect shoe will be different for each person and gait. And, most of the good shops will happily exchange the shoes even after you've worn them for a while, if they turn out to not be right for you.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just got the Adidas Marathon, and I have fat feet and they fit perfectly. I never thought your feet were supposed to land the way they do in this running shoe! So comfortable!
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I recently bought two pairs of Reebok Runtones; the air cushions help me with the pain I usually experience from my heel spur and arthritis in the foot.

They are about $90, but after trying them on in the mall I found them for $60 online (Dillards)....
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love my asics....but I agree with pp and just go get fitted to find a brand/style/etc that is best for you. And then get them cheaper elsewhere, lol :)
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I second getting fitted for a shoe just for you!

I have a pair of Mizunos that I run in and love them!!!
  • faythelg
    faythelg Posts: 12
    Options
    I got a pair of the K-Swiss Tubes a few weeks ago and I love them.
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    i run often and have tried lots of different brands and my fave hands down is asics. I've had a few types of shoes from them and they were all amazing and lasted for a long time. I have bad knees and need good support and those rock! And the asics brand was designed for runners. They range in price but i think the average is $85-$120
  • Allisgatorsmom
    Options
    I have the Reebock Runtone shoes as well and LOVE them!!!!!!!! I can really feel them working my legs while I run, and they dont look goofy like the sketchers shoes!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend going to a running specialty store to get properly fitted for running shoes. I personally like the way Saucony shoes fit on my feet compared to most other brands but when I go running shoe shopping, I usually try on several shoes from multiple brands to find the perfect fit.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am a "heavy" runner (not just size, but come down hard when I run) and I love my Brooks Ariels. I have a wide toe base and these work really well for me. If you plan on doing a lot of running, I would find a specialty running or sporting goods store (many large and small cities will have them) and have someone who really knows how to fit you help you decide. The is a store in Indianapolis (the athlete's closet) that will let you try on the shoe and then go out to the parking lot and run while they watch your gait to give you a suggestion about how your foot strikes. Good luck! a good pair of shoes can really save you a lot of pain.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What places will "Fit you for a shoe". Everytime I go anywhere they don't seem to know what kind of shoe is best. They show me 'new', 'nice style', 'expensive'. I think they don't care and just want to sell the shoes...
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    asics!!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    What places will "Fit you for a shoe". Everytime I go anywhere they don't seem to know what kind of shoe is best. They show me 'new', 'nice style', 'expensive'. I think they don't care and just want to sell the shoes...

Go to a real shoe store. Not a national chain like...well you know the ones. I got fitted for walking shoes at a local family owned shoe store, and came to find out I've been buying poorly fitted shoes most of my life. I got New Balance walking shoes and they feel fantastic. Best fit I've ever had. The guys in the striped shirts just want to sell you a pair of shoes, the more expensive the better. Go to a local shoe store where the staff are knowlegeable. Just sayin'.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agree you should go to a running shoe store and get fitted based on how and where you run. Different makes are suitable for different people because of the materials used in their manufacture. Runner's World has a useful reference for choosing shoes: http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-240-400-0-0,00.html This website also has links on shoes for various levels of runner. Some manufacturers make runners specifically for women, and by that I mean not that it's just sized for women but that the shoe is designed and built from the last up for a woman's particular biomechanics.

Take an old pair of runners to the store to show them the wear pattern--it will reveal a lot.

My fav is Asics but your requirements may be different.
  • MissGibbs
    MissGibbs Posts: 8
    Options
    As I'm a bargain hunter (yeah, my husband has a slightly different wording for it, LOL) I ended up buying some cheap walmart sneakers/runners for 9$ and then "upgraded" with some real good Dr. Scholl's inlays. My "customized solution" made the best running shoes I ever had- for a fraction of the price I used to pay for brand names... Just my 2 cents :)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I seriously overpronate and went to a specialty running store to get advice on the right shoe for me. They had me run in the store to assess my gait and then again with several different brands of shoes on. We settled on one from Brooks which I now buy from Zappos whenever I need a new pair. Running shoes is one area I don't look for a bargain because I figure a knee operation is way more expensive than 3 pair of $100 shoes every year.

I also researched Mizuno and would have liked to try that brand but the store I went to didn't carry them.