new job.. don't know when to eat

Options
hi all, I have this week changed jobs and am working a 5 hour day from 9am to 2pm. I am not sure how to go 5 hours without eating now. my normal day involves eating breakfast around 8am; a big salad at 12pm and dinner around 6pm... I am normally hungry by 11:30am but wait until around 12 - 12:30 to eat lunch. in my new job no-one eats whilst working and I don't get a break in my 5 hours. I don't want to start eating junk but don't know how to keep my energy levels up without food.. can anyone give me some advise, I am very close to my target.. and have been a bit stressed about starting a new job and don't want the weight creeping back on.. xx

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Can you sip from a thermos if tea or coffee? I go way longer than 5 hours. It's all about training yourself--it will be hard at first, but it's doable.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A 5 hour shift without a break? Do you not get to use the restroom? That's inhumane! Can you eat a protein bar or something at some point?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK? In the US the law mandates a 10-minute break after 4 hours of work. Can you cram in a snack of nuts while on a potty break or something?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Can you pack a protein bar or something in your purse to eat on the job? Surely you could claim a bathroom break and shove it down real quick. Hide it in a tampon box and the boss will never question you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Are you in the UK? In the US the law mandates a 10-minute break after 4 hours of work. Can you cram in a snack of nuts while on a potty break or something?

Actually, as surprising as it may be, the federal wage and hour law, called the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), doesn't require employers to provide meal or rest breaks. There are some states that have their own laws, but Arizona, where I have lived my entire adult life, isn't one of them. My husband works in Human Resources and corrected my thinking on that a few years back. That said, I have never, ever worked at a job where we didn't get at least one 10-15 minute break on a 3-4 hour shift or a half hour meal break on a 5+ hour shift and that includes the year I worked at Wendy's in the mid-80s.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have gone without eating anything until 2/2:30 but it can be rough. So although you work in an office where most people don't eat while they are eating - that doesn't mean that you can't. If you feel uncomfortable eating a large salad, then bring in healthy snacks that you can munch on. This way, you can curb any cravings you might have. I keep in my desk mini whole wheat bagels and low fat peanut butter, craisins, smart pop popcorn.
    I can understand your reluctance but unless someone has said you can't eat - I'd chomp on at least a snack or I'd have my salad when I was hungry.
    Your employer may say you can't take a break because you're working such a short day but they can't tell you if you're hungry that you can't eat. That's against the law and inhumane.
    So pack healthy snacks and when you get hungry - munch away, drink plenty of water, tea, or coffee. Before you know the day will be over and you can eat a full lunch. But don't make yourself miserable.
    I work at a university and sometimes I don't get to go to lunch until 1:30/2 - I go into my desk, take out my snacks and eat regardless of what everyone else is doing. They aren't me and I have to eat something. I sit out in the main lobby so people see me all day long. But I don't care. I mean I'm not chowing down on a burger or anything, but even if I were - as long as I am doing what they want me to do, I'll do what I need to do in order to get the job done.
    Get your snacks - you'll be o.k.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Can you not just go 5 hours without eating? It shouldn't greatly affect your energy levels. It looks like you regularly go 6 hours between lunch and dinner, right? If breakfast isn't holding you and you can't make it without eating, re-evaluate your breakfast choices. Switch lunch with breakfast and you should be fine. If your salad at noon can hold you until 6, then eating the same thing at 8:30 should hold you until 2:30, right? A lot of eating is also habit and if you can get past it, you can build new habits.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi .. yes I am in the UK and work in a surgery where it is very busy.. plus I am now more public facing so that makes eating a bit trickier too.. I think I might switch my breakfast food intake for my lunch.. or take a small snack.. or train myself again to not eat between 9am and 2pm:(
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    oh forgot to say.. I can go to powder my nose and make a coffee or tea .. maybe I should eat a snack whilst waiting for the kettle to boil..hmm..x
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Maybe do some sleuthing? If there's anybody else on a similar schedule, watch what they do. The average person would probably have difficulty with 5 hours. That's about my limit before I start getting a headache.

Maybe ask your boss if you can go on a smoke break while you gobble a protein bar really fast? I've had to covertly eat before, but I could usually sneak in a few minutes for a bite or two somewhere.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    make your self a kinda smoothie or other healthy shake to take to work and sip on it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Actually, as surprising as it may be, the federal wage and hour law, called the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), doesn't require employers to provide meal or rest breaks. There are some states that have their own laws, but Arizona, where I have lived my entire adult life, isn't one of them. My husband works in Human Resources and corrected my thinking on that a few years back. That said, I have never, ever worked at a job where we didn't get at least one 10-15 minute break on a 3-4 hour shift or a half hour meal break on a 5+ hour shift and that includes the year I worked at Wendy's in the mid-80s.

At my job we don't get a lunch unless working over 6 hours. I've been regularly getting 11-5 and 12-6 shifts during the week lately, and I've worked around to eat a bit more in the morning and either take a snack with me or buy one.

OP, can you eat a little more for breakfast and then have a lighter salad when you get home?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What about a protein shake?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Does nobody eat while working because it's a rule, or because it's just a norm? If it's just a norm, try to bring a snack that's filling and maybe has a nice protein boost. You say you're close to target so you probably have a good idea of what sort of thing would work for you. I can understand your stress - you need to find a solution here that will work long-term.

If it's some sort of weird job environment where you really can't eat on the job and you have no official break, take your snack to the ladies' room if you have to, and maybe keep a few almonds or some string cheese or those individual serving sizes of peanut butter handy for the rest of the time.

I, too, am curious if it is a rule or a norm. If it is a norm, eat. If you wanted to be discreet about it you could eat energy dense food like nuts or cheese. If it is a rule, I'd make smoothies and drink them. I can't conceive of a no-drinking rule also being in place.

• Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    surgery as in a hospital??

I would eat a bigger breakfast to get you through that.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

i was just about to say this!!!! i drink muscle milk and it keeps me full. Actually its what kickstarted my weight lose. I drink it inbetween breakfast and lunch, it keeps me full and it helps me eat a lot less later on. i also drink it after i work out :) (1 scoop only)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

i was just about to say this!!!! i drink muscle milk and it keeps me full. Actually its what kickstarted my weight lose. I drink it inbetween breakfast and lunch, it keeps me full and it helps me eat a lot less later on. i also drink it after i work out :) (1 scoop only)

I'll second the Muscle Milk, if you're not someone who normally goes out for protein shakes. They have a "light", pre-packaged version too (100 calories) that usually does the trick with me. And the chocolate is actually pretty tasty. It's pricey, but there are days when it's a saving grace.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My normal eating schedule is breakfast around 7-8, lunch at 2 and dinner 8-9, perhaps with a snack around 4-5. I tend to eat a breakfast with significant protein and a larger lunch.

You could try just stretching the day out a bit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in... that is not true. It may be for your state, but it is not a "US" law. I have worked 12 hour, 10 hour, and 9 hour shifts with NO break whatsoever. ;)