Gaining before losing?

Options
clhobbs09
clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
Hello.
I am new here. Please feel to add me as a friend for motivation from me and for me.

Has anyone anyone gained a pound or two before they actually start losing? I just recently started on MFP and I wasn't as diligently logging until this week but I gained 2 pounds last week and I cut back on my eating.
Any advice?

STATS:
39/Female
CW: 180
GW: 135-140

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Did you start doing any new exercise? That often leads to a gain in water weight, as your muscles hold back water to help with repair and recovery. It will go away, just keep on doing what you are doing...If you do not exercise, there is no reason for gaining first - be dilligent with weighing and measuring and tracking everything you eat....
  • Stacey765
    Stacey765 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines as astrampe said: water weight.... However, I do think that if you are not exercising you could still potentially be gaining first. If you weren't drinking any water before, and now you are guzzling back gobs of water your body may not have flushed it out yet. I would give it a minute and let your body regulate itself.
  • clhobbs09
    clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking tons of water. I just started exercising this week and plan to workout at least 3-4 days a week. I'm going to weigh every Wednesday and post either way. That way I can see what I may need to adjust.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    there are other variables to consider such as time of day you weighed yourself, scales lack of precision, what you were wearing, etc. Make sure the scale is in the same spot each time and that you weigh yourself at the same time each day in the buff. That will eliminate some of the variables.

But, the only way to be sure is to log those calories daily. and be honest with it. Don't just skip logging the glass of wine or extra biscuit. Those count. It doesn't take long to see where you pick up calories and where you can reduce or eliminate efficiently.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I stop exercising for several weeks and then start again.