Low-Carb Diet, Macros

2»

Replies

• gerbillama03
    gerbillama03 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi Gerbillama03, Sounds like there isn't a whole lot of listening going on here. I have read the dialog and I figured I was just chime in and try to give a little help.

Honestly, the macro settings (fat, carb and protein amounts) are a little skewed in my opinion. What I personally use MFP for is to log my food and make sure I'm hitting my numbers. If you like I can give you the break down of how I get mine.

In general, depending on your goals:
    Fat should be 15-20% of your calories
    Protein should be 40-50%
    Carbs would take up the remaining amount

Now Mantium did give you some good info. Yes, you can take away from carbs, however make sure to balance the subtraction by adding more protein and/or healthy fats.

Now I know the struggle to remember to eat. My little trick that usually keeps me on track is eating every 2.5 hours small meal like snacks. I set an alarm on my phone for feeding time. Now this isn't full proof because if I'm working I can't always put what I am doing on hold to go get some chicken or eggs but it helps.

(BTW I understood what you meant by drinking your calories away with lattes)

Thank you! I am usually way too busy to eat. I'm a chronic meal skipper. I DID ingest the majority of my calories in the form of lattes (jerks).

I'm hoping I can get to 50% in protein. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt me in terms of energy level.
  • gerbillama03
    gerbillama03 Posts: 19 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you gain on 900 why do you think eating 1200 will make you lose weight?

do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

Yes I do use a food scale, measuring cups, etc. I only eat food I have weighed and prepared myself.

Bye Felicia.
  • DesiraeLynn24
    DesiraeLynn24 Posts: 12 Member
    Lowering your carbs will have an effect on your energy level. However it just depends on your tolerance. I can tolerate it really well. I do carb cycling. 3 days my carbs are at 14g than I carb load on day 4 (100g) and repeat this cycle. I typically carb cycle and I love it. Weight comes off and I still preserve a lot of my lean muscle mass.

Side note for energy pre works and 0 calorie/carb energy drinks are my god send. (Monster Absolute 0) and in a pinch I'll use 1/2 or less serving of pre work
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Hi Gerbillama03, Sounds like there isn't a whole lot of listening going on here. I have read the dialog and I figured I was just chime in and try to give a little help.

Honestly, the macro settings (fat, carb and protein amounts) are a little skewed in my opinion. What I personally use MFP for is to log my food and make sure I'm hitting my numbers. If you like I can give you the break down of how I get mine.

Protein should be 40-50%

Now Mantium did give you some good info. Yes, you can take away from carbs, however make sure to balance the subtraction by adding more protein and/or healthy fats.

Now I know the struggle to remember to eat. My little trick that usually keeps me on track is eating every 2.5 hours small meal like snacks. I set an alarm on my phone for feeding time. Now this isn't full proof because if I'm working I can't always put what I am doing on hold to go get some chicken or eggs but it helps.

lolz so you agree someone can gain weight on 900 calories a day?
  • ndj1979
    if you gain on 900 why do you think eating 1200 will make you lose weight?

do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

Yes I do use a food scale, measuring cups, etc. I only eat food I have weighed and prepared myself.

Bye Felicia.

highly doubtful...

but keep doing what you are doing, because you are obviously have such great success with it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I am not mistaken about my intake. I know how much I eat a day. Most of the time I am way too busy to eat. It is a struggle to get up to 1200. I don't do it most days. Either you believe it or you don't.

If anyone wants to give me insight towards my actual question, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sure, you can use Custom Goals to dial in your own calorie goal and macros split in steps of 5%

for example for low carb you might go for 5,10 or 15% from carbs and 20 - 35% from protein with the rest from fats. If you want something more moderate then 30C / 30P / 40F perhaps

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • DesiraeLynn24

lolz so you agree someone can gain weight on 900 calories a day?

I agree that not everyone has the ability to comprehend. She stated when she started on here she started logging her foods and that she had already dropped the latte habit.

This means the guess of 900 calories (food she has now logged and fully aware of nutritional value PLUS the estimated but never logged lattes) could be completely off.

This also tells me that she may never have logged her food before and my have been eating at a much higher caloric intake than she even realized. Eating less often and "smaller meals" (just an example a Happy Meal) would cause weight gain.

If someone cant piece together a story or have the know how to ask the proper questions to provide the complete advice than maybe those should not be handing out advice like skittles.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    My daily recommended calories are at 1200. Fitness pal has my macros set at 55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fat. Can I lower my carbs to 30% with no ill effects, or should I continue on my default macros?

You absolutely can alter them to your suggested carb range with great results. I know how steroids can wreak havoc! Yarwell's advice above is great. Best wishes to you!
  • amylv2008
    amylv2008 Posts: 1 Member
    Everyone is different and our bodies react to macros in different ways. I also can't lose weight by counting calories if my sugar intake is high at all. Counting carbs always works for me. When u decrease your carb intake, u must compensate by increasing fat and protein percentages. Some people just have higher tolerance for carbs than others. You should be able to have 1200 calories and lose weight if you adjust your carb intake.
  • ndj1979
    amylv2008 wrote: »
    Everyone is different and our bodies react to macros in different ways. I also can't lose weight by counting calories if my sugar intake is high at all. Counting carbs always works for me. When u decrease your carb intake, u must compensate by increasing fat and protein percentages. Some people just have higher tolerance for carbs than others. You should be able to have 1200 calories and lose weight if you adjust your carb intake.

you should be able to lose weight on 1200 calories regardless of carb intake
  • ndj1979
    LOL @ everyone telling OP to eat 1200 calories when she keeps insisting that she gains on 900 calories….
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    To the OP: don't take any of this advice personally. Try to listen to what @ndj1979 is saying with an open mind. We are trying to help you do this accurately and healthily.

Measuring cups for solids is pretty inaccurate. Do an experiment! Try weighing all solids and using the correct MFP entry (the database has a LOT of inaccurate entries) for 2-4 weeks and see what happens to your weight. See what your "old" way of eating and drinking truly added up to. If you've already given up lattes, add one at the end of the day to your diary just to see where it puts you at. You can delete since you're not really drinking it.

If you "gain" on 900 TOTAL calories, I don't think that you'll lose weight on 1200. That doesn't make much sense to me. It makes more sense that you were estimating calories eaten (a lot of little inaccuracies can add up fast! Trust me!) and drinking one (or more?) latte a day? Maybe eating and drinking more than you think isn't so impossible. I know it sucks to be wrong and it can get embarrassing especially on a pubic board, but a big part of growing up is admitting your mistakes. Be humble and open minded. This will happen throughout your life, so it's best to learn to take things in stride and don't be so easily offended.

As far as macros go, this is what I do: fat minimum = 0.35g per pound of total body weight. Protein minimum = 1g per pound of LBM. I fill the rest in with whatever carbs, fat, or protein I want. A calorie deficit is the driver for weight loss. Carbs bond with water so if you cut out some carbs, but replace them with the same amount of calories from other sources, you will only lose water weight (which will come back once you up your carbs). Carbs are important for energy and things like blood production (yes, carbs make up our blood. That would explain the cookie and pretzels I'm offered after donating blood, right?)

If you want to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle loss, eat at a moderate deficit (TDEE minus 10-20%), enough protein, and do some sort of progressive resistance training (I lift heavy). If you only care about the number on the scale, a calorie deficit is the only thing required. Eat whatever foods keep you satiated while on a deficit, but that boils down to personal preference. Don't forget about micronutrients (fiber, vitamins, minerals) for overall health. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    OK

1) yes you can adjust macros
    -I would advise setting minimums of 0.64g protein per lb bodyweight and 0.35g fat per lb of bodyweight - the rest of your calories you can make up from whereever

2) consider the activity level you have set on MFP .. you're active so as a job you are something like a lumberjack or hard manual labour? Activity level excludes purposeful exercise so it is far more likely you are sedentary or lightly active

3) are you off the steroids now? You should see a change in your water weight quite swiftly

4) accurate logging involves weighing everything and logging to your calorie defecit

5) you should not, as a woman, consume fewer than 1200 calories in order to hit your required nutrition

6) when you log exercise half the MFP database calories as they tend to overestimate

7) do not EVER use measuring cups - always weigh your food .. including oils etc .. measuring cups are ridiculously innaccurate

What you've done / experienced in the past is basically irrelevant - hit your defecit across the week, week in and week out and you will lose the weight

try to move more

follow a progressive lifting programme

and good luck committing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited June 2015

Protein should be 40-50%

Thank you! I am usually way too busy to eat. I'm a chronic meal skipper. I DID ingest the majority of my calories in the form of lattes.

I'm hoping I can get to 50% in protein. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt me in terms of energy level.

It was clear to me that you meant you ingested the majority of your calories in the form of lattes. I increased protein (and fat, fiber, veggies and exercise) and have MORE energy. (And am sleeping better as well.)
  • ndj1979
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Protein should be 40-50%

Thank you! I am usually way too busy to eat. I'm a chronic meal skipper. I DID ingest the majority of my calories in the form of lattes.

It was clear to me that you meant you ingested the majority of your calories in the form of lattes. I increased protein (and fat, fiber, veggies and exercise) and have MORE energy. (And am sleeping better as well.)

then you clearly missed this post on page 1:

I was EATING 500-600 calories. I was DRINKING 300+. That's an intake of close to 900, on steroids, of mostly sugar and fat. Fat and sugar (if you are on steroids) fuel weight gain. I don't understand why that's hard for anyone to accept. Just because I don't ingest 2000+calories a day doesn't mean I can't gain weight.

so OP clearly said she gained on 600 calories + 300 from lattes = 900
  • DesiraeLynn24
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Protein should be 40-50%

then you clearly missed this post on page 1:

I was EATING 500-600 calories. I was DRINKING 300+. That's an intake of close to 900, on steroids, of mostly sugar and fat. Fat and sugar (if you are on steroids) fuel weight gain. I don't understand why that's hard for anyone to accept. Just because I don't ingest 2000+calories a day doesn't mean I can't gain weight.

so OP clearly said she gained on 600 calories + 300 from lattes = 900

Oh dear sweet baby Jesus just drop it already. Yes the calculation would put her at 900 calories. Yes she did gain weight when she was drinking lattes. Yes she probably did a huge miscalculation on the amount of calories she took in prior to actually logging, measuring and getting control over her life. Stop beating a dead horse and if you want to help than help. Give her advice on meals, training, substitutions for unhealthy foods and motivation. Belittling anyone does not always motivate most of the time it will just make a person say F this I'm over it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    ur_stuck_in_a_loop.gif