elliptical vs treadmill

Options
cds193
cds193 Posts: 12 Member
I have been using my elliptical for about a month and a half now and worked my way up to 40min of the second most difficult setting and was wondering if I should be investing in a treadmill and if they will produce different or better results (mostly conserning muscle tone in legs, especially thighs)? Do they also varry in the cardio workout that can be achieved?

Replies

• risu23
    risu23 Posts: 2
    Options
    In my experience, the elliptical burns more calories than walking on a treadmill, and is better for developing muscles in the legs, thighs, butt, and arms (if you have arm attachments).

Then again, you can run on a treadmill which will burn a lot of calories, too.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is better and provides a lower impact on your joints. I'd stick with the Ellip. :wink:
  • schaney24
    schaney24 Posts: 11
    Options
    It is good to switch up your routine. Because your body is used to the elliptical, if you use the treadmill you will actually burn more calories. It's just a different movement. It does work slightly different small muscle groups, but may work the same big ones. Switching your routine helps increase your metabolism and your body's response to the equipment.
  • cds193
    cds193 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the comments will deffinitely help! I will try running outdoors a few days a week and see if it helps me out with weight loss.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I currently have a treadmill which has helped me to lose all of this weight so far, however I am looking into getting an elliptical....I know changing your routine really helps. Good Luck!:happy:
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    All good points so far. You are doing a great job on the elliptical. I guess it depends on your preference and goals (and if you are seeing the results you want). I love the elliptical and I am on it every day! I have knee problems. So my vote is for the elliptical!

....What this wasn't to vote??? Ok then it's my two cents! LOL!

Whatever you're doing make sure you enjoy it or your not gonna stick with it and it will turn ito a place to hang/pile up cloths....
  • skeele
    skeele Posts: 72
    Options
    I seem to burn more calories on the treadmill... but i set the incline to 12% and that helps a lot.
  • MereRae
    MereRae Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with switching up your routine because your body gets use to the same ole workouts and fast. I do a little of everything- elliptical, treadmill(running and walking) and the stair master. The MOST burn though that I have gotten is by jacking the treadmill up to the highest incline and walking. Talk about some SERIOUS BURN!!
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    It is good to switch up your routine. Because your body is used to the elliptical, if you use the treadmill you will actually burn more calories. It's just a different movement. It does work slightly different small muscle groups, but may work the same big ones. Switching your routine helps increase your metabolism and your body's response to the equipment.

Correct.

ZebraHead is also correct about the elliptical being a better machine for it's total body movement and the low-impact nature. I use the elliptical because my knees hurt when I run, but not nearly as much on the Elliptical. However, if you can afford a treadmill and/or stair-climber then it is good to vary the routine for the reasons schaney24 lists above.

If you decide against getting more equipment, then vary how you use the elliptical. Do a cardio burn one day, intervals the next. Go forward one day, go backward the next. Switch between using mostly legs and mostly arms to move the machine. Pick a day to mix it all together for an aerobic workout. --- The point is to not allow your body to adjust to the same routine which will greatly decrease the benefit.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    Love the treadmill, hate the elliptical. I like the bike and the rowing machine also !
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I love it all!
    Gooooo cardio!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is so much a better burn and overall body workout. FTW!!
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    I do em both but prefer Elliptical.