Into my fourth week and struggling.

Options
I'm 75 years old with some physical restrictions so my workouts are very light. I use the suggested strength routines from the programs as much as I can and modify those that I can. I am doing 30 min. every other day on the treadmill at 2MPH/ 1% incline. I lost 2 lbs. the first week. Eating the extra 600 calories on maintenance days has bumped my weight back up those two pounds. I've decided not to do the "extra" 600 calories on maintenance days as it hurts my stomach when I eat all those extra calories and seems to be counter-productive. It seems the only thing it has taught my "fat" is to rejoice in having more company!

I am eating Greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, skim milk and chicken often, (all of which are high in protein) but have difficulty getting 70G of protein in a day. Can anyone suggest how I can get more protein?

Replies

• bcschulz
    bcschulz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
  • kdewey7
    kdewey7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree, I drink a protein shake most days. I blend mine with frozen fruit and water or milk. Easy, tasty.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars. I buy them off Amazon by the box. They are a little spendy, about $25 for a box of 12.
  • pyvonneb
    pyvonneb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. kdewey7 and bcschutz - I have done the protein shakes in the past, guess I'll go back to them. I'll check out the protein bars on Amazon.
  • nessjbhicks
    nessjbhicks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pyvonneb wrote: »
    I'm 75 years old with some physical restrictions so my workouts are very light. I use the suggested strength routines from the programs as much as I can and modify those that I can. I am doing 30 min. every other day on the treadmill at 2MPH/ 1% incline. I lost 2 lbs. the first week. Eating the extra 600 calories on maintenance days has bumped my weight back up those two pounds. I've decided not to do the "extra" 600 calories on maintenance days as it hurts my stomach when I eat all those extra calories and seems to be counter-productive. It seems the only thing it has taught my "fat" is to rejoice in having more company!

I am eating Greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, skim milk and chicken often, (all of which are high in protein) but have difficulty getting 70G of protein in a day. Can anyone suggest how I can get more protein?

im struggling too sweetie. There's lots of protein n eggs, nuts. Also weight watchers dinners//breakfasts
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's not all about protein, but that's a great start! I'm 27 and have trouble getting in my daily protein. I would also suggest eating about 1200-1500 calories a day, not sure what you are eating. On workout days, you can definitely up those to eat some of the exercise calories back. Good luck, take your time, and I applaud you for trying to be healthier.
  • pyvonneb
    pyvonneb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    firecutie18: My profile from Venus said to eat 1000 calories a day, 1600 on maintenance days. However, Fitness Pal says 1200. Some days I have trouble getting 1000, but I have upped my goal to 1200 without the maintenance days. Thanks for your input.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You should never eat anything less than 1200 calories. I admit, I have trouble getting to that some days, but I do try and add something to make it to 1200. I'm not sure what Venus is, but everything i've ever read said 1200 calories will still allow you to lose weight. Good luck!