Type 2 diabetics

Options
Hello my name is Roxanne. I have been using myfitnesspal for a while now, but never join in the fun conversations. How many of you are type 2 diabetic?

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Type 2 since 2001, now under control with Metformin + diet and exercise. Been off injected insulin for about 6 months now. Last A1c was 5.9, and my fasting BG averages about 105. I've lost 110 pounds and run/walk 15-20 miles per week. Welcome to the MFP community!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Type 2 in remission after bariatric surgery and loss of ninety pounds. I still eat as I was taught, fitting in as many macros as I can in a meal.
  • pjhankin
    pjhankin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed - eye test booked for next week, awaiting appointment with dietician. Now running 2.5 miles every morning before work (after walking dogs) and play golf every Sunday. 6lb gone in last 3 weeks. Struggling with what I can and can't eat at the moment - it seems like every time I choose something low calorie the sugar content is increased!
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi I have type 2 on Glipize was taking metformin but metformin isn't good for kidneys. I have kidney failure because of diabetes. I need to lose 85 pounds. lost 4.4 pounds in 10 days. Great job toadhunter.
  • jeweidanz
    jeweidanz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I appreciate everyone's posts.

I have had Type 2 diabetes for years. I have been in good control off and on. Lately, I have been way out of control. Work has been so stressful and have had 2 family members in the hospital at the same time for heart surgery/heart failure and other major stressors. Then this week my blood sugar was in the 300s, had some kind of viral infection and my heart rate was over 120. What a wake up call!! So today...using mfp to track everything, especially carbs. My blood sugars are coming down but even though I was very careful in what I ate, they still spiked a few times.

So I am making a promise to myself....I am going to track every day and stay on my plan. I am not going to have ongoing problems because I did not take care of myself first. Next step is to get healthy enough to start walking again.

Thoughts, hints, support greatly appreciated. Jane
  • hornseagirl
    hornseagirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get confused with carb quantities per day; only just been diagnosed with type 2 ; diabetic nurse at surgery is off om holiday and the other nurse just said cut down on carbs and didn't know what the allowance was and have another blood test in 3 months. I am trying not to go over 130 grams a day but is this too much a day.....any help would be appreciated
  • jeweidanz
    Options
    Its been awhile but I was taught no more than 45-60 carbs per meal and 15-30 for each snack...eating every 4-5 hours, not sure if that is still recommended.
  • hornseagirl
    hornseagirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks pet. x
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    jeweidanz wrote: »
    Its been awhile but I was taught no more than 45-60 carbs per meal and 15-30 for each snack...eating every 4-5 hours, not sure if that is still recommended.

That's what I was told also. I'm sticking by it until I'm told otherwise by my doctor.
  • jeweidanz
    Options
    So I have been working to get back into tight control for the last month. I am testing 4 times a day, monitoring my carb for every meal and snack. The good news is that my average blood sugar has gone from the high 200s (and sometimes to low 300s) down a daily average of about 114. I am walking everyday, bought a fitbit and feel like I am doing really well. I need to figure out a way to eat dinner earlier. My bedtime levels are still too high.

Just a note...the diabetic nurse I am working with said that women should target 45 carbs per meal.

I hope all of you are doing well.
  • Kdpw123456
    Kdpw123456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last month, after also getting diagnosed with Addisons Disease.

Now trying to recover from being in the hospital and trying to lose some weight! Please add me, I think support is the best thing to keep people accountable!
  • jeweidanz
    Options
    Hello kalikiwi6,

Hope things are going well with you. How is the weight loss and diabetes control going? I continue to make progress on weight loss and control. I need to step up my exercise. That is my goal for the next week.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    T2Dm here. Diagnosed with an a1c of 7.3 in January, 2014. Put on glipizide (my kidneys did not like metformin) 3 weeks later. 6 months after that, my a1c was down to 5.5. A couple more months, and my a1c was down to 5.3 and I was taken off the medication in December, 2014. My a1c has stabilized around 5.4 with diet and exercise alone ever since.

I eat between 150 and 180 g of carbs daily (35% of my total calories) and have lost 115 lb. so far.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have been diabetic for 13 years now joined mfp to keep my carbs in check , looking for other diabetic friends if anyone wants to add me. I keep an open diary
  • ginanway557
    ginanway557 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jeweidanz wrote: »
    Hi. I appreciate everyone's posts.

I have had Type 2 diabetes for years. I have been in good control off and on. Lately, I have been way out of control. Work has been so stressful and have had 2 family members in the hospital at the same time for heart surgery/heart failure and other major stressors. Then this week my blood sugar was in the 300s, had some kind of viral infection and my heart rate was over 120. What a wake up call!! So today...using mfp to track everything, especially carbs. My blood sugars are coming down but even though I was very careful in what I ate, they still spiked a few times.

So I am making a promise to myself....I am going to track every day and stay on my plan. I am not going to have ongoing problems because I did not take care of myself first. Next step is to get healthy enough to start walking again.

Thoughts, hints, support greatly appreciated. Jane

• ginanway557
    ginanway557 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ever since my doctor told me i was diabetic ive been having occasional fevers and infection. I hurt my foot and it became a staff infection. Had fever then. And today too, migraine headache and the chills and feeling hot and feverish. Does worry make your resistance to getting sick less strong. I just found out i was diabetic i dont even know if its type 2 or type 1. Thanks for listening.
  • jeweidanz
    Options
    Healing is impaired by diabetes. That is why getting and keeping your blood sugar under control is critical. Knowing if you are type 1 or type 2 is critical. I would follow up with your doctor asap. Also get into a diabetes education class. I also like http://www.diabetes.org.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1990. I've been insulin dependent since 2011. I eat 30-45 carbs per meal and 15 to 20 carbs for snacks. I've lost 58 pounds so far but cannot do much exercise because I have no cartilage in my knees. I did buy a hand bike so that's about all I can do at this point. I have over 200 lbs. to lose yet so I take it in small increments. Best of luck to you all!!