Zucchini noodles?

Options
Has anyone tried them? How do they compare to actual pasta?

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    They're good but don't compare to actual pasta. Different texture and taste. But I do like them. They make a nice meal especially in summertime.
  • klel76
    klel76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    zucchini noodles are good and I use a julienne slicer to make them into strips. My new favorite noodle is black bean noodles from Explore Asian. Lots of fiber and protein. The also have a Edamame and mung bean fettuccine noodle that is good as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    they are good. but only if... you don't act like they're pasta! They are not pasta. Just no.

It's the same as pb2 to peanut butter. Does it taste like peanuts? yes. Does it work in some recipes? yes. But is it a real substitute for peanut butter? No way.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love them, but if I'm craving pasta they just won't do. It's great to have an option for sauce that doesn't have tons of calories, though. I made a pesto alfredo sauce that went really well with them.

They will also cook in a hot skillet in under two minutes.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I love them. No, they're not pasta, but they're tasty and you can put whatever sauce you want on them.

One word of advice: Just make sure they're drained really, really well before serving. Otherwise, you get a pool on your plate.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love them. No, they're not pasta, but they're tasty and you can put whatever sauce you want on them.

One word of advice: Just make sure they're drained really, really well before serving. Otherwise, you get a pool on your plate.

^^^This is exactly why I cook them in a dry skillet, they get waterlogged. I will even salt them before like you do for eggplant.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My main issue is that I haven't figured out how to make them not soggy. But they're pretty good, if you like zucchini.

Definitely doesn't taste like pasta though.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    oh yes yummie and stir some cream cheese in them wooohooo :)

And when i want pasta i eat pasta :)
  • ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They're a favorite in our house. I'm making some tomorrow night for dinner, with a tomato-based sauce and some turkey meatballs. It ain't pasta, but it's good.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I've been posting a lot about these, but if you end up not liking the zucchini noodles, try Shirataki noodles [made with yam, tofu, etc]. They are over by the tofu and meat substitutes in stores... 0-20 cals per ENTIRE BAG of noodles! Just, uh. Drain, rinse, then pat dry. I don't recommend boiling, makes'm too watery.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really like them. I've had them made with a julienne slicer thingy and done up in ribbons using a regular vegetable peeler. I think I prefer the mouth-feel of the ribbons, but they are great both ways. One thing I do is to sprinkle salt into the zucchini noodles and put them in a collendar to pull some of the water out. Then rinse the salt out. Heating them up in the microwave rather than in boiling water is also good. If they get overcooked in water, they can turn to mush.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like them, but I make a proper sized serving of regular spaghetti then mix in a giant pile of zoodles so I still get the visual effect of a huge bowl of spaghetti while keeping the calories low.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Someone also posted a recipe of julienne sweet potato latkes yesterday that looked amazing. Lots of uses for a spiralizer.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    teanahk wrote: »
    I like them, but I make a proper sized serving of regular spaghetti then mix in a giant pile of zoodles so I still get the visual effect of a huge bowl of spaghetti while keeping the calories low.

Brilliant!