Possible to gain 6 pounds overnight from sodium?

Options
Hi folks,

I'm on a 15 day-streak for tracking everything I eat here on MFP (I joined a bit ago but am just starting out). At the end of my first week, I was down to 354 from my starting weight of 358. I record my weight on Monday mornings...well, on Sunday morning I was curious and hopped on the scale to see 351. I was super excited! But then Monday morning came and I'd gone up to 357. A gain of SIX POUNDS overnight...and putting me basically right back to where I started!

Since I've been under or close to my calorie target each day I know I can't possibly have really gained back six pounds. So I guess I'm trying to figure out now what happened. On Saturday, I went out to eat for lunch, and did something I've never done in my entire life...took half of my entree home and finished it for dinner. I stayed within my calorie target but that meal was super salty and my sodium for the day around up being over 5,000 grams. Could that sodium count on Saturday be the reason for the 6lb gain that showed on Monday? And if so...when do you think this bloat will subside?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It's water weight.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, totally possible. Just drink lots if water and it'll drop off soon. And in my experience if you are still careful with CICO the water pounds will take a few friends when it does leave.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep. Also, if TOM is coming, that could be a reason too.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    YES! It bites, but remember it's temporary.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When tracking your weight loss and fluctuations, figure out how it's trending overall. Weight fluctuations happen all the time for various reasons. For example, I'll weigh in my lightest in the morning, and throughout every day, it can fluctuate as much as 5-6 pounds. This is not "fat gained". That's impossible in that time period. It's just normal body fluctuations.
  • perdurabo0
    perdurabo0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A quart of water weighs 2 pounds. If you are drinking a lot of water and your sodium intake is high (or you are taking creatine) you'll store it in your muscles. As others have said, though, it doesn't really matter; at least it isn't fat :)
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat pho from a local Vietnamese restaurant every few weeks, and I know I'm going to see a temporary gain of 2-4 lbs every time from the sodium (but I love it, so I'm not giving it up :). Hang in there, water weight goes away!
  • pugetsound
    pugetsound Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH everyone!! I appreciate the insight, and I feel much better now! Onward and upward then (or downward, hopefully!)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Yup definately possible. I had popcorn at the movies last night. Had 1L of water before bed and presto I'm more than 1kg heavier this morning than yesterday. Waterweight, as everyone else said. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I like me some salt. It's possible to gain a lot more than that overnight. Or, you know, so I hear.
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just checking did you weigh yourself a good few times to ensure the scales where accurate?
  • dipeshlshah1
    dipeshlshah1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    happens with me every monday :wink: , its water weight. I do cardio and weight training from Monday to Friday. Sat & sun rest and my weight increases by 4 to 5 pounds.

I would suggest you to scale you weight on wednesday or Thursday, mid week day while you are half done with your fitness training if you do any...
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I'm on a 15 day-streak for tracking everything I eat here on MFP (I joined a bit ago but am just starting out). At the end of my first week, I was down to 354 from my starting weight of 358. I record my weight on Monday mornings...well, on Sunday morning I was curious and hopped on the scale to see 351. I was super excited! But then Monday morning came and I'd gone up to 357. A gain of SIX POUNDS overnight...and putting me basically right back to where I started!

Since I've been under or close to my calorie target each day I know I can't possibly have really gained back six pounds. So I guess I'm trying to figure out now what happened. On Saturday, I went out to eat for lunch, and did something I've never done in my entire life...took half of my entree home and finished it for dinner. I stayed within my calorie target but that meal was super salty and my sodium for the day around up being over 5,000 grams. Could that sodium count on Saturday be the reason for the 6lb gain that showed on Monday? And if so...when do you think this bloat will subside?

No doubt about it. Up your water intake and you likely will see a nice drop :)