Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ever thought of trying Nordic walking, the sticks really help increase your speed and they help to take some of the strain off your knees, also gives you a full body workout at the same time. I ran a trail 10k last year in just over an hour and the first Nordic walkers came in about 5 minuets after me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    round here there are walking and running tracks for some of the 5ks but I'm not sure about the marathons
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you really want to walk a half marathon, check out races that are both the half and full, ones like the one I did Sunday that involve a second lap for the full, have a max time limit that includes both races. That should give you plenty of time to complete a half. The marathon would be tougher unless the max time is very long. Look out for races that say walkers welcome or have a very long time limit.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I walked the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half marathon a few years ago. It took me 3 hours 45 minutes. I followed a half marathon running training program but walked instead. It is definitely doable.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also did the avon walk - Marathon one day, half marathon the next. It was surprisingly not terrible. The fundraising is kind of a pain though. I plan on doing it again this September and still need to raise $800. :neutral:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    People definitely walk marathons. I am not a fan of running but I love walking and hiking long distances. If you're on IG Yolandaholder is a marathon walker. Great motivation.

@lgodfarb, I wish I knew someone who would walk that Vegas half with me. That would be fun.
  • gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did a walking half marathon in 2010. It is called the We Walk and there ia a half, a full and a 50K. It is held annually here in MN. Not sure if there are other locations for it. The half was a good distance for me at the time. There are time limits that you would have to pay attention to if doing a regular event for runners but I would give it a try if I were you.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 so far. I walk most of it. Not gonna lie.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you even walking it for most part, my body was killing me for like 3 days after.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The Disney half-marathons are walker friendly as long as you're faster than 16 minutes/mile. Check with the race directors. It is possible to become a runner and take up running. You will just need to make the effort to do so if you so desire.
  • brenlorken724
    brenlorken724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cannot run because I've have multiple surgeries on my leg thanks to bone cancer. I have walked a 1/2 marathon and I plan on walking two more this fall. I also walk in 5k's and I've beaten people who run/walk. There is no shame in only walking.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've ran and walked multiple half marathons. As a back-of-the-packer, I'd suggest that you ask around before signing up for a race. Some of them are notorious for packing up long before the posted cut off times. Others (like the Honolulu Marathon) will stay open and fully staffed until literally the very last person crosses the finish line.

Races are like mullets: all business up front, and a party in the back. :smiley: Have fun out there on the course!