16:8 Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried intermittent fasting? I have done 5:2 but find it sooooo hard so I am trying 16:8. I feel really good, think I look a bit slimmer but weight exactly the same.

Has anyone had any success with it?

Thanks.xx

Replies

• rachyowl
    rachyowl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 pounds since end of Feb doing this. Eat lunch at 12, dinner about 7:30. I do use MFP to keep track of calories as I've still got a bit to lose. But I can see myself eating like this long-term. It's hugely reduced my appetite.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's not a magic trick; if you eat fewer calories than you burn, regardless of when you eat them, you'll lose weight. IF is an eating schedule and not a weight loss plan. If it makes it easier for you to stick to a deficit then it's good, if it makes it harder then it's bad.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    In terms of fat loss, there really isn't any difference compared to not doing it. The biggest factor to consider is can you be consistent with it. If you try and are always failing to hit your calorie and macro goals, then it's not working. The best thing to do is what you can be most consistent with.

If it's working for you, rock on!
  • bexwhit
    bexwhit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rachyowl wrote: »
    I've lost 23 pounds since end of Feb doing this. Eat lunch at 12, dinner about 7:30. I do use MFP to keep track of calories as I've still got a bit to lose. But I can see myself eating like this long-term. It's hugely reduced my appetite.

Wow, thats fab! I like it for the healty benefits too, I am.also not as hungry as I was.... you have inspired me to keep going. Xx

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yeah I do it I do a 18:6 window, I much prefer it to 6 tiny meals a day
  • tanialynn3
    tanialynn3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is the only way I have ever dieted... mostly because I cut out the late-night snacks. I have never eaten breakfast, and I usually don't get hungry until after noon. So, I eat when I get hungry at lunchtime, and then we normally eat dinner around 7 or 8pm. Then that is it for the day. However, I am not actually losing any weight this time - but, it has just been 3 weeks since I started.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    IF will not help you lose weight if you are not also conting your calories and measuring your food. It is only an eating schedule, not really a diet plan. I like it because it helps me stay within my goal for consumption easier.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I do it because it helps with appetite control. BUT I have not been hungry outside of my window generally--I don't usually want to eat until after 2 pm anyway.
  • Teanei
    Teanei Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've tried it but I wasn't consistent. I'm thinking about getting back on that eating plan though.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am on a 5:2 plan. I have lost 11 pounds, 1-1/2 inches off my belly, and dropped my A1c from 6.7 to 5.9. The fasting days require careful planning, but haven't really been much of a problem. My biggest problem seems to be getting enough of the right kind of food on the other 5 days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    It's not a magic trick; if you eat fewer calories than you burn, regardless of when you eat them, you'll lose weight. IF is an eating schedule and not a weight loss plan. If it makes it easier for you to stick to a deficit then it's good, if it makes it harder then it's bad.

This.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm currently doing an 8:16. I think not eating while I sleep has really help with weight loss.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Cheri1218 wrote: »
    IF will not help you lose weight if you are not also conting your calories and measuring your food. It is only an eating schedule, not really a diet plan. I like it because it helps me stay within my goal for consumption easier.

Yep. This is my biggest reason too. So much easier to stay in deficit.
  • teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love being able to include my sleeping time as a time when i am not eating. I am currently doing 14 hours fasting then 10 hours consuming 1200 calories. I have lost two pounds so far. We will see I plan to wait for results after about a month.
  • MarinaRamalho
    MarinaRamalho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Day one for me. I will use MFP to keep track of what I am eating just so I don't go crazy during my eating window. Will update as it goes along.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tried the 16:8 for a week and was miserable! I now follow the 14:10 since they said most females do better on this fast/eat schedule. I feel like I'm losing better now that I'm doing 14:10.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My weight loss stalled out, so I've adopted the 16:8 plan. Since I've always worked out, cardio and lifting, in a fasted state, this hasn't been a difficult adjustment. I like being able to consume a greater number of calories at each meal, while still staying within my daily calorie and macro goals.