Ketosis and Health

Options
Hello to the group! My name is Jay T. Flottmann, M.D. and I consider myself a "health nut". I'm a western trained physician but have been turned on to the numerous benefits of a ketogenic diet and the overall benefit of ketone bodies recently. It is amazing the amount of research available in this particular field. I'm writing to ask if anyone out there has had some success with this lifestyle? I completely understand the benefits with weight loss but have there been any other success stories not related to weight? Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you!

Jay

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi Jay! I'm pretty new here but have been working for a year to evolve our family's diet to less carb and towards very low carb for health reasons. No success stories here yet, but am confident that our high carb past has had some bad results.

You might find some here are less than enthusiastic regarding limiting carb consumption.

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There is a keto group on here. Would probably get more answers there. That being said, I've been on keto for almost two years now. I've been able to maintain a healthy weight range, I don't have the urge to binge like I used to when I was eating high carbs and low fat, and my cycle is more predictable and slightly shorter.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have far more energy than ever when I do this diet. I love it. When i eat carbs i want more and more of them, develop a serious sweet tooth that i am powerless over and begin a cycle of sugar highs and crashes, sleeping during the day and general lethargy.
  • 4wesome
    4wesome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ditto the previous poster and I'll add that my vision improves, and I have better breath, no plaque buildup, no morning breath.
  • heatherandimran
    heatherandimran Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just started a physician monitored low calorie diet that is based on ketosis 4 days ago. I have lost 5 pounds so far. I feel dizzy at times but I know it can take up to a week to get into ketosis. I'm excited for the benefits. I'm diabetic and am surprised at how stable my blood sugars have been on 600 calories a day. It must be the ketosis effect starting. I will say that my cravings for carbs and sugar are subsiding as I learn that food is a fuel.
  • JayFlottmann
    JayFlottmann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For what purpose are you gathering this information?

Thanks so much for the great information. I'm reaching out on this forum because I have been reading a lot of the medical literature, listening to podcasts from various professionals (e.g. Peter Attia, M.D.), and gathering anecdotal evidence to see if people are realizing what I'm reading/hearing. Frankly speaking, the science is pretty clear on the subject. I'm looking for real life applications.

Thanks!!