Not a diet but a lifestlye change

Options
As I go on this journey I have to encourage myself by keeing in mind that I am an example to many people i nthe community and that can't be done by dietign only by chaning myself inside and out. I'm interested in what keeps you motivated?

Replies

• nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    a better and more fit me. and my 2 daughters
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    not being ridiculed by my friends keeps me going..i am now lighter and thinner than they are but they dont know this as we only meet once a year due to all of us living in different countries. boy are they in for a shock :-)
  • meatsack
    meatsack Posts: 5
    Options
    for me personally thats the hardest thing, to realise this is a life change, not just a diet then i can go back to eating rubbish
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I am taking care of my body... all the way to a the molecular level. I think about my bones being strong, my cells in my GI tract being happy, fueling my energy needs, staying alert. Feeling great. Doing everything I can to live a long, long time.

The book "YOU: on a Diet" by Mehmet Oz is a VERY informative read that will get you thinking about what you put in your body and what it is (or isn't) going to do to you. A must read!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Feeling better both physically & emotionally keeps me motivated!
    Setting a good example for my 3 wonderful children & my friends & family.
    Also being proud of my strenth & my accomplishments!!
    & meeting other like minded physically active people! :)
  • tgburkert
    tgburkert Posts: 47
    Options
    I am generally motivated by my own desire to have a more consistent lifestyle, but also to show my daughter what having a healthy relationship with food and exercise looks like.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I started for myself and then became an inspiration for others. The satisfaction of helping others become healthier is wonderful. It is a LIFESTYLE not a diet.

Plus after a certain point my ego would not let me fail or go back to my old ways

I am human , I live and love life. I still drink beer, & eat pizza. But It all is no configured into my "LIFESTYLE" The key is to find your own "LIFESYTLE" and then live it!!!

Everyones LIFESTYLE will be different to some point, but very simualr to others. Some Keys cannot be left out or it will not work longterm!
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I started for myself and then became an inspiration for others. The satisfaction of helping others become healthier is wonderful. It is a LIFESTYLE not a diet.

Plus after a certain point my ego would not let me fail or go back to my old ways

I am human , I live and love life. I still drink beer, & eat pizza. But It all is no configured into my "LIFESTYLE" The key is to find your own "LIFESYTLE" and then live it!!!

Everyones LIFESTYLE will be different to some point, but very simualr to others. Some Keys cannot be left out or it will not work longterm!

I completely agree with this way of thinking! Don't treat your new lifestyle as a diet, and be sure to not deprive yourself of treats and bad food every now and then. I'm not saying eat a crap load of junk, but definately don't cut it out all together. :)

My willpower has been the strongest it's ever been since I started thinking this way! ;)

Crystal
  • katiegirl387
    Options
    I have a hard time treating it as a lifestyle change even though I know I have to, everytime I lose weight it ends up coming right back because of my eating and exercise habits. Being busy becomes an excuse for treating my body badly, and seeing as all my friends have no problems with their weight and do as they please, I find it hard to motivate myself to do what others don't have to. Two years ago I lost 30 pounds and kept it off for only a few months before it started to creep back on, I am now within ten pounds of my heaviest weight and I have decided it's time to change things.
  • latoyamayes
    Options
    That's awesome! You are right around the corner from your goal! Congrats how exciting! I've found that the biggest reason to stay focused on our goal is the WHY factor and apart of your why seems to be your daughters. That's very special. I was 178 now 165 and a personal trainer. I am apart of Project love in which campaigns against obesity. I sell products though a company called visalus and I love helping people change their lives. Testimonies like ours could be the blessing that changes someone's life. Keep pressing on and check my website out at thinkfitbfit.bodybyvi.com there are many incentives and testimonies shared that will keep you encouraged and may be a a blessing to your journey. Thanks for sharing!
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my new size 4 Levi jeans!!! I was a size 16 when I started my new lifestyle and I can't imagine myself back there again plus the photos at my largest, its like wow I was that big. I also live my that moto: its not a diets its my lifestyle
  • paulyarwooduk
    paulyarwooduk Posts: 109
    Options
    Some people are always trying to convince me that I'm not fat but then I am always being referred to by people that don't know me as "...the fat one". People are so charming aren't they?

In reality I can quite safely lose 4 stone in weight but in recent years countless diets have never worked. The older I get the harder it gets but also the worse my Rheumatoid Arthritis gets too. If I leave this too late the chances are I won't be able to do anything at all.

In my mind this really IS a lifestyle change; I can and will eat whatever I want but I will watch how much I eat and make sure that I exercise every day. Take today; I've been in pain all day throughout my whole body - I get home feeling fatter than ever and I stand on the scales and find that I've lost another 4lb. That was enough for me to get my butt into my spare room and use the stationary bike and multi gym. Now I feel great and I want to do more :-)
  • maywaterfall
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I love how you look at things, I have to realize that it is a lifestyle. Hard part will be forming new habits. I like that even though you felt defeated you found the motivation inside yourself to get moving, that's inspiring!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is that I know I'm getting healthier and healthier by the day. I am young, but I want to live a long, happy, fulfilling life and I know being in my best shape possible will allow me to do that!