Best fruits to snack on for weight loss?

Options
I am 5'4 and 165 lbs. My goal is 130. And, since it is summer.....I love fruit. I could live off of it. It is low calorie and healthy, but I know that it has a lot of sugar. Lately I have been snacking on fruits like watermelon, grapes, peaches and nectarines. Will the sugars make me gain weight? I also eat a salad for lunch (about 280-360 calories depending) and about an ounce of cashews throughout the day for good fats and protein, and to add something 'substantial'. Another common snack is hummus and carrots, baby peppers and sugar peas. Will the sugar from the fruit mess up this diet?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you like to lose weight, as long as you stay within your caloric goal.

I would suggest trying to incorporate more protein and fat than you get from the cashews though. Nuts are a fat source more than protein, and most of what you mentioned is carb heavy.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The sugar no.

The calories yes. Make sure you stay in your calorie target.
  • mikayleecbalcom
    mikayleecbalcom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 500 calories below my budget of 1600 calories usually.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Why?
  • mikayleecbalcom
    Options
    Not hungry enough to eat more. My metabolism is really slow from eating heavy meals, so I eat small snacks instead.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Not hungry enough to eat more. My metabolism is really slow from eating heavy meals, so I eat small snacks instead.

Your metabolism doesn't slow down from "heavy meals"... Whatever that means. It will likely slow down from restricting calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can eat more protein and more calories. You probably need more fat and oil in your days too:
    cheese
    Greek yogurt
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, pumpkin)
    nuts
    beans and lentils
    beef jerky
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    salmon
    edamame
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The sugar no.

The calories yes. Make sure you stay in your calorie target.

That's why you're my hero

(Overstated?)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    All the stuff in bold ...is wrong and the answer is no

I am 5'4 and 165 lbs. My goal is 130. And, since it is summer.....I love fruit. I could live off of it. It is low calorie and healthy, but I know that it has a lot of sugar. Lately I have been snacking on fruits like watermelon, grapes, peaches and nectarines. Will the sugars make me gain weight? I also eat a salad for lunch (about 280-360 calories depending) and about an ounce of cashews throughout the day for good fats and protein, and to add something 'substantial'. Another common snack is hummus and carrots, baby peppers and sugar peas. Will the sugar from the fruit mess up this diet?

Stop it

Eat properly

To your calorie defecit

There's no tricks ...there's no magic formula

It's calories in < calories out
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

1. No, that's actually not a thing.
    2. Eat one big meal, eat six snacks, whatever. Just get your calories
    3. You probably feel fine underfueling your body for the first few months, but it's a good way to eventually burn out and lose too much muscle mass along the way
  • mikayleecbalcom
    Options
    Then is there a way to boost my appetite? I am not trying to under eat. I am genuinely not that hungry, and when I eat what I eat usually does not have that many calories, like a peach....food just doesn't sound goid. I kinda have to force it. I am fat from choices of my child hood, but lately I cannot eat a lot. At all.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating regularly, regardless of whether you feel like it or not, may help you start to get more of an appetite. Try incorporating more calorie dense foods to get in more calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Then is there a way to boost my appetite? I am not trying to under eat. I am genuinely not that hungry, and when I eat what I eat usually does not have that many calories, like a peach....food just doesn't sound goid. I kinda have to force it. I am fat from choices of my child hood, but lately I cannot eat a lot. At all.

Nope .. you're fooling yourself

It's not just childhood because you have been clearly eating at at least maintenance until now

So the small choices you make make them calorie dense .. use oils, cheese, cream, nuts, avocado, butter etc

c'mon stop it now .. you know how to eat otherwise you wouldn't be overweight in the first place
  • omnipotentmiku
    omnipotentmiku Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nope .. you're fooling yourself

It's not just childhood because you have been clearly eating at at least maintenance until now

So the small choices you make make them calorie dense .. use oils, cheese, cream, nuts, avocado, butter etc

c'mon stop it now .. you know how to eat otherwise you wouldn't be overweight in the first place

Wow. 1) that was pretty harsh 2) choices from childhood could include drinking calories and still eating small but high calorie foods like fast food rather than what op eats now.

Everyone stop telling op to eat more, that's not what they asked. And once they do eat more "substantial", as they said, food they will probably meet their calorie goal.
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    you see harsh - I see truth ... but then you're 18 and addressing your issues now .. good for you ..

Me? I yo-yoed from the age of 18 to 47 .. and have only beaten it in the last year .. finally at maintenance after losing 54lbs... you know what I gave up on .. making excuses for myself and getting caught up in diet plans, fads and advice and thinking I had to be restrictive.

But fooling yourself and making excuses for yourself is 90% of the battle

OP is 22 - she left childhood a number of years ago .. it's all the decisions she has made and continues to make that will make her succeed or fail at getting to the physical body she wants to live in
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No food type will make you fat, you can eat as much fruit as you like as long as you stay within your calorie goal. Please try not to over complicate things. It is so simple, eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

Now for the long term bit, you need to eat close to your given calorie target. If you don't you are far more likely to put it all back on and more. It just becomes to restrictive,
    See this as a way of eating for life, have an ice-cream in the park in the sun :)
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you're 500 calories under your limit regularly, maybe try some fruit flavored ice cream. That'll close the gap quick enough.
  • nobbyclark67
    nobbyclark67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The best fruits I've relied on during my journey are Bananas, Pears, Apples & cherries..cherries can be eaten as a snack before bedtime without making you feel uncomfortable.. Also eat a little slower so you can detect when your hunger has been satisfied & will help prevent over eating
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    I recommend blueberries and raspberries. They are both low carb and high fiber. Full of good nutrients and pretty satisfying without adding a ton of fruity sugar. If you need more calories, add them to yogurt and you get more vitamins and a little protein.