new job.. don't know when to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    my suggestions would be to drink hot teas. It may take some adjusting but you should definitely be able to make it through 5 hours without eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    eat a good breakfast..maybe take some good, healthy snacks to work with you...maybe a piece of fruit and some nuts. Then have lunch when you get off.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Are you in the UK? In the US the law mandates a 10-minute break after 4 hours of work. Can you cram in a snack of nuts while on a potty break or something?

Just wanted to chime in... that is not true. It may be for your state, but it is not a "US" law. I have worked 12 hour, 10 hour, and 9 hour shifts with NO break whatsoever. ;)

Correct. For example in my state, for workers over the age of 18, employers are not required to offer breaks. Many companies choose to offer breaks every 4 hours, but it's not a legal requirement.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    What about a protein shake?

i was just about to say this!!!! i drink muscle milk and it keeps me full. Actually its what kickstarted my weight lose. I drink it inbetween breakfast and lunch, it keeps me full and it helps me eat a lot less later on. i also drink it after i work out :) (1 scoop only)

I'll second the Muscle Milk, if you're not someone who normally goes out for protein shakes. They have a "light", pre-packaged version too (100 calories) that usually does the trick with me. And the chocolate is actually pretty tasty. It's pricey, but there are days when it's a saving grace.

i love the chocolate! i didnt care for the vanilla. the german chocolate cake is yummy but i got bored and now i have cake batter. sometimes i throw in a little cinnamon for extra flavor. mmmmmm the cake batter kind of taste like a cinnabon when you add cinnamon to it :blush:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    hi all, I have this week changed jobs and am working a 5 hour day from 9am to 2pm. I am not sure how to go 5 hours without eating now. my normal day involves eating breakfast around 8am; a big salad at 12pm and dinner around 6pm... I am normally hungry by 11:30am but wait until around 12 - 12:30 to eat lunch. in my new job no-one eats whilst working and I don't get a break in my 5 hours. I don't want to start eating junk but don't know how to keep my energy levels up without food.. can anyone give me some advise, I am very close to my target.. and have been a bit stressed about starting a new job and don't want the weight creeping back on.. xx

Eat a bigger breakfast with some protein. Take a granola bar or some nuts for a quick snack if you need it. Drink water or tea. Eat something when you get off of work. You'll probably get used to the new schedule in a few weeks and not feel so hungry.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Lady_jane_ wrote: »
    surgery as in a hospital??

I would eat a bigger breakfast to get you through that.

I completely agree. Eat a big breakfast, then a late lunch, then a very light dinner and you should stay on track.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Are you in the UK? In the US the law mandates a 10-minute break after 4 hours of work. Can you cram in a snack of nuts while on a potty break or something?

Just wanted to chime in... that is not true. It may be for your state, but it is not a "US" law. I have worked 12 hour, 10 hour, and 9 hour shifts with NO break whatsoever. ;)

Correct. For example in my state, for workers over the age of 18, employers are not required to offer breaks. Many companies choose to offer breaks every 4 hours, but it's not a legal requirement.

Wow, that is just crazy. I'm in CA. Definitely mandated here. Thought it was a national law.

Surgery in the UK usually equates with doctor's office in the US.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

There are no US laws that say you have to give employees breaks, lunch hours, or vacation or holiday pay. There may be state laws, but those are usually for full-time employees.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

There are no US laws that say you have to give employees breaks, lunch hours, or vacation or holiday pay. There may be state laws, but those are usually for full-time employees.

true dat. In my state, they dont have to give you notice (and viceversa) to end employment as well.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd watch what others do. If no one is actually eating (which strikes me as nuts!) I'd squirrel away small snacks in my purse, locker, whever: string cheeses, small bags of nuts, things you can just shove in & go.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Is this for reals?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

IL it is a state law to give a 1/2 hr break every 8 (or 7?) hrs worked, 2 hrs for 12 hr shift, even part time employees - even if you don't need a lunch break they make you take it. 15 minute break every 4 hrs is encouraged but not a law. Does not apply for waitresses or bartenders, that I know of, or my past bosses were just not following it. I can't imagine working for 12 hr shift with no break!!! :#:'( Omgosh...I would die.

I would add something to this but everyone already said what i was thinking...bigger breakfast, milk or coffee/tea to sip on, and eat lunch right when you get out. Maybe bring a power snack for a potty break.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

IL it is a state law to give a 1/2 hr break every 8 (or 7?) hrs worked, 2 hrs for 12 hr shift, even part time employees - even if you don't need a lunch break they make you take it. 15 minute break every 4 hrs is encouraged but not a law. Does not apply for waitresses or bartenders, that I know of, or my past bosses were just not following it. I can't imagine working for 12 hr shift with no break!!! :#:'( Omgosh...I would die.

I would add something to this but everyone already said what i was thinking...bigger breakfast, milk or coffee/tea to sip on, and eat lunch right when you get out. Maybe bring a power snack for a potty break.

Which means, even if OP was in Illinois, her five hours does not mandate a break.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thermos full of soup. Sneak-eating :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If your busy, you won't have time to eat. 5 hours isn't that long.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    Ok. I have gone without eating anything until 2/2:30 but it can be rough. So although you work in an office where most people don't eat while they are eating - that doesn't mean that you can't. If you feel uncomfortable eating a large salad, then bring in healthy snacks that you can munch on. This way, you can curb any cravings you might have. I keep in my desk mini whole wheat bagels and low fat peanut butter, craisins, smart pop popcorn.
    I can understand your reluctance but unless someone has said you can't eat - I'd chomp on at least a snack or I'd have my salad when I was hungry.
    Your employer may say you can't take a break because you're working such a short day but they can't tell you if you're hungry that you can't eat. That's against the law and inhumane.
    So pack healthy snacks and when you get hungry - munch away, drink plenty of water, tea, or coffee. Before you know the day will be over and you can eat a full lunch. But don't make yourself miserable.
    I work at a university and sometimes I don't get to go to lunch until 1:30/2 - I go into my desk, take out my snacks and eat regardless of what everyone else is doing. They aren't me and I have to eat something. I sit out in the main lobby so people see me all day long. But I don't care. I mean I'm not chowing down on a burger or anything, but even if I were - as long as I am doing what they want me to do, I'll do what I need to do in order to get the job done.
    Get your snacks - you'll be o.k.

We're at the point now where going five hours without food is inhumane? The horror.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi .. yes I am in the UK and work in a surgery where it is very busy.. plus I am now more public facing so that makes eating a bit trickier too.. I think I might switch my breakfast food intake for my lunch.. or take a small snack.. or train myself again to not eat between 9am and 2pm:(

You are entitled to a break

Not by law until 6 hours and then it's 20 minutes but good working practice would not insist that you don't get a toilet break / 5 minute break

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk. Or a glass of milk with some protein powder.
    Or eat a handful of nuts.
    Or have a protein bar at work.
    Or have a larger breakfast.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hi all, thank you all for your wonderful responses.. I feel totally ready to start and re-group with my eating regime today. I will take some chunk sized bits to work to eat and think the way a to success is mixing things up. I also like the idea of doing a protein shake so will have to investigate that further. In the UK, things are a bit different with rest breaks etc. Years ago when I worked for private medical companies you would get a 10 min. break every 4 hours and generally a 30-60 minute lunch break. You got paid during the 10 min. break but not during your lunch break. Most employees in the UK get a minimum of 4 weeks holiday (pro rota if you are part time).. and most companies will offer a 3 month probation period at the beginning of a job which can be terminated with no explanation with 1 week's notice. After that you tend to give a month's notice. In my last job I could take time to eat during my 5 hours as long as I worked the extra 10-15 minutes it took to eat and added it to the end of my work day, but other colleagues just ate whilst working. I work in a Doctor's Surgery (medical centre).. I hope that helps all you lovely MFP friends across the pond get a pic. of my work environment .. may today be a blessing to us all and a day of knowing we are not taking this new life journey alone.. you are all great xxx