shocked at slimming world meals!!!!

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    syn free means eat as much of it as you like - your allowed 15 syns a day so having syn free meals is good as it saves your syns for other naughties

but what are syns????????

I think it's supposed to mean sin, which implies some food are a bit evil. Mmmm.........
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Is a syn like a sin?

Thank you! It's been bugging the h...l out of me.....If they have to have cutesie names for calories, can they at least use the right spelling? :p
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    syn free means eat as much of it as you like - your allowed 15 syns a day so having syn free meals is good as it saves your syns for other naughties

I think it's supposed to mean sin, which implies some food are a bit evil. Mmmm.........

Apparently this is what "syn" means... :|

"Step 3 – Choose Syns

Syns is shorthand for synergy – Slimming World believes it’s the synergy between the three components of the plan, ie. Free Foods, Healthy Extras and Syns, that makes Food Optimising effective at enabling weight loss. Nevertheless, many of the Syns are effectively what other diet plans would call ‘treats'. But Syns also includes foods found in the Healthy Extras, allowing you to eat bigger portions of these foods if you want them.

Regardless of the plan you choose to follow, you are allowed five to 15 Syns a day. These include foods like biscuits , cakes, crisps, dressings, alcohol, ice cream, preserves, puddings, pizza, chocolate and sweets. The Syns value for some foods may vary depending on the plan you are following but as a guideline one Syn is equivalent to around 20 calories. In contrast, WLR doesn’t encourage you to associate any food with negativity. Instead you learn the benefits of certain types of foods as you go and learn to make healthy choices, with the odd treat thrown in."
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The way I read it "Syns" are Slimming World's marketing wonk for treats and favorite foods. A way to say "sin"ful foods are allowed and even encouraged in their plan. In a way, I admire the approach, and it's great Brit humor.

If they work it right in the program, the emphasis seems that you can have some treats within reason and still lose weight. That sounds way more rational than the "sugar/carbs/fat/gluten is da debbil" some other plans foist.

Anyway, it seems that SW's approach isn't adjusting for when people actually lose a significant amount of weight and their meal plans can be a bit high calorie when you actually factor them out, so a stall is inevitable.

I'm glad the OP found MFP and is learning how to move beyond the plan to her own goals. That's a good thing.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that sounds rather lame. And confusing. Why not just call a calorie a calorie?
    Oh wait, if they did that, everyone would figure out that the meals they're paying so much for are actually calorically-laden. ;)
    Well, I'd be pissed if I was paying for meals that *weren't* calorie laden!

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    From what I understand Slimming World is to do with combining foods, so on days where you might have more carbs, you don't eat meat. The you get 'healthy extras' or something, for example some cheese or milk, but you're only allowed a certain amount, and you have a certain number of syns per week. Then you have 'free' food, like muller light yogurts.

I've always thought it was a bit weird, but I know people who've done it and it's worked. Personally just counting calories and eating at a deficit works for me as there are no restrictions and worrying about syns and so on.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The way I read it "Syns" are Slimming World's marketing wonk for treats and favorite foods. A way to say "sin"ful foods are allowed and even encouraged in their plan. In a way, I admire the approach, and it's great Brit humor.

If they work it right in the program, the emphasis seems that you can have some treats within reason and still lose weight. That sounds way more rational than the "sugar/carbs/fat/gluten is da debbil" some other plans foist.

Anyway, it seems that SW's approach isn't adjusting for when people actually lose a significant amount of weight and their meal plans can be a bit high calorie when you actually factor them out, so a stall is inevitable.

I'm glad the OP found MFP and is learning how to move beyond the plan to her own goals. That's a good thing.

The problem for me was... I much preferred the Synned food. So I just ate that. :lol: I hated SW. I gained weight. Too much free food for my liking. I like MFP. It stops me binge eating lol
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

The problem for me was... I much preferred the Synned food. So I just ate that. :lol: I hated SW. I gained weight. Too much free food for my liking. I like MFP. It stops me binge eating lol

+1
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not sure what syn free is...but I eat 1800 a day and lose weight...

This, except I eat 2000 a day and lose weight.

I eat 2100 a day and lose weight....!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Sorry, but that sounds rather lame. And confusing. Why not just call a calorie a calorie?
    Oh wait, if they did that, everyone would figure out that the meals they're paying so much for are actually calorically-laden. ;)
    Well, I'd be pissed if I was paying for meals that *weren't* calorie laden!

:laugh:
    From what I understand Slimming World is to do with combining foods, so on days where you might have more carbs, you don't eat meat. The you get 'healthy extras' or something, for example some cheese or milk, but you're only allowed a certain amount, and you have a certain number of syns per week. Then you have 'free' food, like muller light yogurts.

I've always thought it was a bit weird, but I know people who've done it and it's worked. Personally just counting calories and eating at a deficit works for me as there are no restrictions and worrying about syns and so on.

Yeah I don't like any kind of predetermined structure, really, but a lot of people prefer that. But for many more, FREE MFP just can't be beat!

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

The syns said, "long haired freaky people need not apply."
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

The syns said, "long haired freaky people need not apply."
    I wish we had a like button.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

That makes Slimming World sound like some sort of religion.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

[/quote] @missiontofitness

So agree with this. I'm sure there's no mistake that "syn" sounds like "sin." It's so annoying. Just sayin'.

• bpetrosky
    edited June 2015
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

@missiontofitness

So agree with this. I'm sure there's no mistake that "syn" sounds like "sin." It's so annoying. Just sayin'.

It's just a bit of cheeky marketing.
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow l know a good few people that do slimming world and have great results , that really is mind boggling, I've set my goal for 1lb loss a week , I eat 1200/1400 calories a day and still lose nothing some weeks .
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm not knocking it, as my profile pic is proof that it works, but it only worked at my biggest now I'm smaller I cannot eat unlimited free food, I tried to pin point wat it was that was making me stick, and portions seemed to be it, I was loading my plate full of meat and potatoes and veg then going for dessert too, I love cooking from scratch and I can thank sw for that but now I have to watch my portions through mfp and boom! Lost 2.5lbs
  • Janet1608
    Janet1608 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried SW and it didn't work for me although my sister had great results. Like yourself I felt it doesn't teach portion control and I found the recipes in their books very basic.MFP allows more flexibility and makes me think about how to get more from my calories. Plus the money I save means I can buy more cookery books.lol.I see Iceland now stock SW meals. I guess that might give some a better awareness of portion size.
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    Weightwatchers is the same! Fruit is zero points but it is not zero calories, so the only way to have a true reflection is to count calories consumed, I have given up on gimmicks!

Yeah, I did WW a couple of years ago when they moved to a "new" system that awarded bananas zero points. The forums went crazy with hey we can eat as many bananas as we like, as though WW had overnight magically created a whole new banana without any calories.
  • Niiilly
    Niiilly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did slimming world for a few months last year, and it worked.. I lost 11lbs. I think the way it works is it cuts your fat down, but I still don't understand how it fully works but it does haha. The problem i have with slimming world is I end up eating loooaaadsss of meat, which ends up being really expensive, because I get really hungry due to the lack of fat (I think) and I don't eat any veg and not much fruit.. I've gone back to calorie counting as its free ;D