Lost over 75 pounds already in 15 months. Looking to share my methods and support for others.

Options
Hello, my name is Alisa and I live in Astoria NY. I never allow myself to read a book by its cover. While I am still figuring out what life is all about ( hence... I am dying to go hiking up some mountain ) yet I have never gone hiking. At least I have already purchased most of what I think I we will need for it. I am running my first race in 30 years, in two weeks from now. I use to run track and cross country throughout middle and high school. Additionally, also ran a few half marathons, but I was 14 & 15 than and now... My 45th birthday was three weeks ago. I am working hard on understanding the delicate balance between health, strength, introspection, growth, connection, purpose, meaning, and the appreciation of all the beautiful things, places, and people this world has to offer. I am definitely a work in progress and... will always be... Especially because I believe we should always be trying to improve upon ourselves, until our last breathes. I am mainly looking to "discover" who I am and should be, at this point in my life. My daughter, who has been everything to me for the last 19 years... Is turning 19 this weekend and is in her second year of medical school. She has now pretty much adjusted to its demands. So it is now time to claim my own life... Which I never have felt I truly ever started..... So here I am. I myself am a head teacher in a daycare for 3-4 year olds during the day... And a private tutor for students mostly 5th through 7th grades at nights. I am a license NY State public school teacher but have chosen for now, not to work for the board of education. I am at a crossroads in my life and all I know for now is a need to be in the outdoors and connect with like-minded individuals to help guide me into this next stage of mylife!! If this sounds interesting to you... Please let me know:)

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Go hiking...there is something so calming and peaceful about enjoying the outdoors and reflecting in the beauty of nature.

sounds like you are adjusting to your empty nest in a good way! My youngest at 20 is in her second year of college away as well...it's a great time of life to get out, be more active and try new things!
  • Noreen2014
    Noreen2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Alisa..... I am "re-inventing" myself also or at least trying to figure out how lol !!! I am going to be 50 in July my goal last July was to lose 1/2 of my goal weight by this July .... Well ...... But in the last year I have been given the opportunity to fulfill a "bucket list" dream - and was able to go to Culinary school - I had been going part time for the last 2 years. Last August I had surgery in my knee and it allowed me time to think about what I really wanted and how unhappy I was in the medical field (30 years). - my husband noticed the change in me while I was at home and liked the "new" happy me and now I am in school full time. I have discovered that life it too short and time just flies by.... I was afraid for so many years and hid behind my weight as an excuse - yes I am still 100 pounds overweight but I am just getting out there and doing - I wish I could discover a way that works for me to lose this weight - I am not patient when it comes to that and I think I have become comfortable - but that is my next goal!!!! So go out and do what you want or need to do it is very uplifting !!!!!
    Congrats on the the weight loss - how did you achieve that?
    Have a great day and friend me if you would like....
  • aldemmer1289
    aldemmer1289 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Alisa, my name , is Amber. I am a 26 year old mother , of two boys (5yrs and 9 months). I have struggled with weight loss since I was 13yrs old. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 and it seems like since then, any time I gain weight , it is an intense struggle to get the weight off. With my oldest son I gained 93 lbs. With my second I gained 67 lbs. I had preeclampsia with both of them. I lost between 40 and 50 lbs within the first 2-3weeks after having them from all the water weight. However, I am struggling to lose the rest. I have recently cut gluten out of my diet as it causes me pain when eating pastas and bread. Ive lost a few lbs but it has come off quite slow. Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated.
  • alisalilah96
    alisalilah96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Go hiking...there is something so calming and peaceful about enjoying the outdoors and reflecting in the beauty of nature.

sounds like you are adjusting to your empty nest in a good way! My youngest at 20 is in her second year of college away as well...it's a great time of life to get out, be more active and try new things!

• alisalilah96
    Options
    Thanks for your support ... Today is the day!!! Bear mountain here I come
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You will love hiking on Bear Mountain. I grew up in Central Valley (Monroe-Woodbury) and we used to go hiking there all the time when I was a kid. It's gorgeous!

Another good one to try is Sugar Loaf Mountain up by Chester.
  • alisalilah96
    Options
    Hiked Bear Mountain... Now I've set my eye on Mt. Washington which is 4 times higher in elevation. I am so motivated and can't wait to go. Planning it for around September / October. Now I am also readjusting to almost reaching my goal wait and maintence... About 10 pounds left. The only challenge is now that I am putting on more muscle... The scale doesn't show much... But I realize that and take it all in stride. As long as I feel good and improving my strength and endurance without the scale going up... I am happy and satisfied.
  • NickyChafer
    NickyChafer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you....my name is Nicky and I've been using myfitnesspal for just over 3 months and have lost 9lbs, which I gained giving up smoking! I totally understand the need for the outdoors, I live in Bonny Scotland and have some beautiful mountains and countryside here, which I am hoping to explore in the near future too. There's something about the open spaces, trees, lakes that makes you feel alive. I'm 36 and feel the need to explore what this fascinating planet has to offer. I hope you accomplish your goals, and share them with us. Xx
  • alisalilah96
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support and motivation. Slow and steady is the name of the game for permanent life style changes.... You are doing great ... Just keep it up and adjust your methods she needed. I plateou often and have learned is normal and to right it though. I think that is the biggest challenge when trying to changes ones life long term. Scotland ....sounds beautiful.... Would love to see some pics of you enjoying the out doors there. Presently... I am planning out my new outdoor places and challenges ...I would like to experience next. Take care and keep up the great work.