Passing people in a 5k+

maserati185
maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
If the path is narrow, is there a not-so-rude way to do it? Is there a general idea that you "pass on the left" or "pass on the right"? How about when starting off the race and you are trying to get around those who want to start at a slower pace? In my only race, I passed on the left, the right, in between, however I could get it done. lol

Replies

• crshinn
    crshinn Posts: 23
    I have been told that you should pass on the left and to let the person know that you need to pass them by saying "on your left".
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I have been told that you should pass on the left and to let the person know that you need to pass them by saying "on your left".

I have heard this also.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I've only done one and I felt like it wasn't too bad just to do it where you saw an opening...and throw in an excuse me of some sort :)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    A good idea would be to gauge at the starting line the different paces (sometimes they are even labeled). If you feel you fall in the middle of the pack in terms of your pace, make your way to the middle of the waiting for the starting line, etc. Maybe you have been starting your races too far back if it is such an issue?
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    I don't think it's ever rude to pass someone in a RACE! Lol Good for you for being faster than others!

People show up to a 5K knowing that there are runners who are better than them and worse than them. It's not offensive to anyone! I did a couple 5Ks (and I sucked hardcore at them), but I was never, ever offended to be passed up. I was motivated actually! But really, it never offended me. I always tried to politely move out of their way so as not to be rude. I love that you're concerned and that you're so considerate though. That's wonderful.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    I don't think it's ever rude to pass someone in a RACE! Lol Good for you for being faster than others!

People show up to a 5K knowing that there are runners who are better than them and worse than them. It's not offensive to anyone! I did a couple 5Ks (and I sucked hardcore at them), but I was never, ever offended to be passed up. I was motivated actually! But really, it never offended me. I always tried to politely move out of their way so as not to be rude. I love that you're concerned and that you're so considerate though. That's wonderful.

I agree - I've run lots of races, and if it's crowded, it can become a free-for-all. The most important thing is to make sure you pass safely. I try to stay to the right and not block the trail so someone can pass me if they want, but in big races with a bunch of "Sunday runners", unfortunately people seem to just do their own thing, stop right in front of you, take up the whole trail with their buddies, etc... and you just have to weave around them the best you can.

The advice to guage where you should start in the pack where you expect to race is fine in theory, but I have yet to see a race where people lined up like that in reality - they're usually most concerned with the fastest runners (those with a chance at ebing in contention for awards) starting at the front. It would be nice if people did line up based on their pace, but there are too many people who don't pay any attention to those instructions when they are given...
This discussion has been closed.