Fruit Infusing Water - need ideas!

Options
So recently I've got into naturally flavouring my water because plain boring all water just doesn't go down well (I rarely drink enough water each day!) so to make it easier for me, I've started infusing my water with fruit and veg! So far, the only combination I've tried is lemon and cucumber :) just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and what combinations they use that are tasty?

PS. Add me as a friend!!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A co-worker uses an orange slice with hers most mornings. I've seen some websites with different flavor combinations. If you do a Google search you should come up with a few dozen good ideas. I'm sure some others here have favorite recipes, too.

Personally, I just use TrueLemon or TrueLime packets. The cherry limeade is my favorite. I can just store them in my desk and don't have to take time to cut up fruit or worry about using all of it or throwing it away. :smile:
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Watermelon and mint is my favorite. Also like apple with a cinnamon stick. Most fruits will work well for infusing- berries, pineapple, oranges, grapefruit
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Raspberry and lime is my favorite. pineapple and orange or pineapple and mango. mint, cucumber, and lemon. blueberry and raspberry is really good. Macintosh apple and ginger. Straight strawberry makes the water kind of thicker and tastes like jello if you leave it in the fridge over night.

Adding lime/lemon/ginger juice at the end will make so much of a difference - it's like adding salt and pepper to food.

Try to stay away from fruits like fresh peaches, apricots, anything that shreds, mushy, and has a weak flavor - they also quickly brown. Frozen peaches are good tho and tend to stay together longer and have a stronger taste from my experience.
  • gkotwal39
    gkotwal39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even cinnamon tastes good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
  • landm2018
    landm2018 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was relying too much on crystal light packets and I know they aren't good for me so I finally switched to fruit infused water and wow! I did lemon, strawberries and frozen peaches today and it was amazing! I just cut up some watermelon so I'm going to try that with some mint and maybe cucumber tomorrow :) I also saw mango and blackberries on Pinterest so that will be happening soon!
  • kyla_mari
    kyla_mari Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Strawberry lemon is bomb
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Seeing how my garden is exploding with strawberries, I'm going to try strawberry lemon. Any suggestions on proportions? This suggests:

http://www.infusedwaters.com/strawberry-lemon-infused-water

Recipe for an 80 oz Infused Water Pitcher: 1 organic lemon with rind removed + 5 organic strawberries. Slice the fruit and layer intermittently. Combine with purified water and let chill for 4 hours or more.
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm going to try all of these! Never thought to put cinnamon in the water!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Squash?

• motivatemychange
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Squash?

That's not a fruit infusing idea.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    is there any benefit to this other than making the water taste good? e.g. getting nutrients from fruit but without the calories?
  • lisahaith42
    lisahaith42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So recently I've got into naturally flavouring my water because plain boring all water just doesn't go down well (I rarely drink enough water each day!) so to make it easier for me, I've started infusing my water with fruit and veg! So far, the only combination I've tried is lemon and cucumber :) just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and what combinations they use that are tasty?

PS. Add me as a friend!!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Squash?

That's not a fruit infusing idea.

'tis to me :wink:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    is there any benefit to this other than making the water taste good? e.g. getting nutrients from fruit but without the calories?

I don't think so, no. You'll get some calories from the fruit, and probably a small amount of nutrients, but it shouldn't be significant. How much would depend on how long the fruit was in the water and whether or not you squeezed or mashed the fruit.
  • Mrs_Goatess
    Mrs_Goatess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What I've tried so far:

Cucumber: Good on its own, but surprisingly overpowering in combinations! Tends to make sweet tastes smell sour to me: combining with lime made me gag. :s

Kiwi: Very light, needs to soak in. Loose seeds make a nice little crunch.

Lime: Like cucumber, nice but overpowering when mixed.

Lychee berry: Too faint, even with long soak. Better to just eat it straight. :smile:

• motivatemychange
    Options
    What I've tried so far:

Cucumber: Good on its own, but surprisingly overpowering in combinations! Tends to make sweet tastes smell sour to me: combining with lime made me gag. :s

Kiwi: Very light, needs to soak in. Loose seeds make a nice little crunch.

Lime: Like cucumber, nice but overpowering when mixed.

Lychee berry: Too faint, even with long soak. Better to just eat it straight. :smile:

I agree! Cucumber was very overpowering when I mixed it with lemon the other day!