Beginner using weights at the gym - Advice please!

Options
Hi! I'm just starting out and I'd like to lose about 40lbs in total (I'm about 5ft11 and 183lbs).. My summer holiday is coming up in 2 months so I'd like to have made a good start on that and have specifically toned up my flabby stomach and thighs to help me feel more confident on the beach. I'm planning on doing some exercise classes (spin fit & boxercise) about 4/5 times a week as I find my motivation to work out at home alone isn't great. I know I need to do strength training in addition to this, so I will also fit in time at the gym to do weights, but I'm not sure where to start. Can you recommend me some plans of action in regards to using weights at the gym? IE which to use, how many reps etc..

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Google strong lifts 5x5, basically what I do but I also do a butt specific lifting day in addition. I'm a fan of low ros heavy weights. Other people might do high rep low weight. Just depends on what you are after.
  • arinda_g
    arinda_g Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think a great place to start is the free motion machines at the gym. They have a picture on them of the body part you are working and instructions for use. Try to hit every muscle group and vary your intensity and weight from time to time.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    the one thing you want to make sure of regardless of the weights you use or the exercise. Be sure you are using proper form
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Google strong lifts 5x5, basically what I do but I also do a butt specific lifting day in addition. I'm a fan of low ros heavy weights. Other people might do high rep low weight. Just depends on what you are after.

yup this.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I also do strong lifts 5x5. The key to weight lifting and getting stronger is to keep with a progressive program. I do low reps heavy weights. Assuming your knees are good try and include Squats in your workout routine. And I find free weights to be a better overall workout then the machines because you are also using your core muscles for balance and stability. It's nice to have a set of dumbells for the home as it allows you to do some exercise while watching TV. Can't eat if you're working out. You can usually find some for cheap on craigs list.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If you are brand new to strength training, I suggest a few sessions with a trainer to make sure your form is correct. Have you just joined the gym? Most gyms give you a session with a trainer for free in the beginning.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really recommend Starting Strength over Stronglifts, mainly because it goes into fairly detailed depth about correct form, the biomechanics of each exercise, etc. I'm using it and it has helped me a lot. The author also did youtube videos showing off each exercise and explaining it, so it's really easy to get started without a trainer.
  • nwgetsfit
    nwgetsfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've signed up for a class that uses strong lift weights, squats etc so I can get a good foundation on using them and make sure my forms correct so I don't do myself any injuries, then I'm going to start using all of your advice when I'm there on my own!