helpful answers needed... am I kidding myself???

Options
Heelllllppppppp!!

I'm currently keeping my calorie intake down to 1200 but does 100 calories of chocolate equal 100 calories of broccoli?? Obviously I'd rather eat the chocolate does it make that much difference to my diet or should I change my way of thinking???

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, yes 100 calories of chocolate is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. Obviously 100 calories of broccoli is more food and will probably keep you full longer as well as the other obvious advantages of veg over chocolate, but don't worry, you can still eat chocolate and lose weight!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yep. You've got 1200 to play with (more if you exercise) so if 100 of that is chocolate there's still room for broccoli too.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Some foods like high fiber, protein and fat foods help to keep you feeling fuller longer. An individual thing.

Over time getting optimal nutrition is key to looking and performing your best. Poor nutrition is not optimal for building new cells. Some of your metabolism goes to recovery and building cells.. If you eat garbage that process is compromised. Dull skin, brittle bones, low blood count.

For me I eat both and exercise off the chocolate calories.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    100 cals of broccoli is a lot of food when compared to 100 cals of chocolate. If you're going for just weight loss, it's the same thing. But if you're going for health, then not quite the same. You don't have to change your thinking, you can have both! Everything in moderation and within your calorie goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every night after I have my macros filled I treat myself.

Broccoli just doesn't cut it as a "treat"
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A calorie in chocolate is the same as a calorie in broccoli which is the same as one in potato, etc. etc.

The main differences between a calorie of one thing vs a calorie of another are the volume and the nutritional content. 100 calories of broccoli is more filling than 100 calories of chocolate by far because you get a higher volume for your calories. Think of this as the space the food takes up, this will generally translate - though not always ie. cotton candy takes up a lot of physical space but it will not fill you up - to being more filling. Broccoli has lots of good stuff in it, chocolate not so much - though that doesn't mean chocolate is "bad", just that you should do your best to make sure you're getting sufficient nutrition from your other foods before you start working in chocolate to what you eat. I don't even view it as a treat because that makes it seem like a big deal - if I have the calories and I really want chocolate, then I will eat the chocolate. But I try and prioritise foods with high nutritional values ahead of chocolate.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, yes. Nutritionally, no.

If you've met your protein/fat/etc goals and still have room for a treat (or heck, sometimes I don't meet them but come close), there's nothing wrong with having some chocolate or ice cream, or whatever dessert tickles your fancy. That's why some people on MFP follow 'IIFYM' (IF It Fits Your Macros).

For me, moderation = sustainability. I'm never not going to have chocolate again. So I'll fit it into my calorie goal. I'll be damned if I cut things out of my daily diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes a calorie is a calorie in terms of energy and weight loss. The nutrient profile of those two foods is obviously different.

That said, 1200 cals is fairly low. Getting in all the nutrient dense, satiating foods AND leaving room for treats is often challenging on a 1200 cal day. If you exercise, make sure and eat back a portion of your calories that will give you some additional calories to work with.

What did you put in as far as a weight loss goal and how much are you trying to lose, for many people, 1200 is just too low.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you're eating a nutrient dense diet (not just "meeting your macros") then heck, have some dark chocolate!

Note that the 100 calories of chocolate is the "treat".
  • SezxyStef
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you're eating a nutrient dense diet (not just "meeting your macros") then heck, have some dark chocolate!

how can it not be nutrient dense without meeting macros....?????

ETA: unless of course you are equating IIFYM to elimination diets...
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Click on the "nutrition tab" on MFP to make sure you are giving your body the nutrition in needs. With only 1200 calories it is actually difficult to do. I stated taking a One A Day Multi-Vitamin to help make sure I accomplish that. Malnutrition is a big diet killer. :) My advice to you would be to simply include a little bit of exercise daily so you can ALSO have your chocolate. No reason you can't have both but on only 1200 calories I don't think it's wise to sacrifice the broccoli for the chocolate on a regular basis....on the basis of nutrition not weight loss.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Yes a calorie is a calorie in terms of energy and weight loss. The nutrient profile of those two foods is obviously different.

That said, 1200 cals is fairly low. Getting in all the nutrient dense, satiating foods AND leaving room for treats is often challenging on a 1200 cal day. If you exercise, make sure and eat back a portion of your calories that will give you some additional calories to work with.

What did you put in as far as a weight loss goal and how much are you trying to lose, for many people, 1200 is just too low.

I've been on 1200 calories, and manage to find foods that fill me up. Light breakfast (200 calories), medium lunch (300 calories) and large dinner (500 calories) which leaves a couple of hundred calories for snacks. If I exercise diligently, I lose about a pound a week. If I don't exercise, I stall. Quit smoking in 2004 and my metabolism completely disappeared unless I exercise at least an hour a day. But that's just me.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    100 calories of chocolate equals 100 calories of broccoli. However the macros that come with them are different. If you hit all of your targets for the day and have room for chocolate- go for it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. I try for chocolate daily!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Heelllllppppppp!!

I'm currently keeping my calorie intake down to 1200 but does 100 calories of chocolate equal 100 calories of broccoli?? Obviously I'd rather eat the chocolate does it make that much difference to my diet or should I change my way of thinking???

well... you can't melt brocolli over strawberries or ice cream so no it's not the same thing at all

yaknow - one being a cruciferous vegetable and the other not

in terms of calorie intake and weight loss though .. yes it's exactly the same thing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Emily - unless you're short, 1,200 calories a day may indeed be too aggressive. I need filling foods like broccoli to get me through the day without suffering. I exercise so there is room in the budget for a treat like chocolate.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Emily - unless you're short, 1,200 calories a day may indeed be too aggressive. I need filling foods like broccoli to get me through the day without suffering. I exercise so there is room in the budget for a treat like chocolate.

Heck, even if she's short she's only 19 and only has 11 lbs to lose (per goal)......
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else said about macros, but I would add to watch your sugar intake as well. Some people don't metabolize sugar very well and then those 100 calories treat your body differently. Having any metabolic disorder can make it harder to lose weight overall. That is really the only time I would be concerned.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    jaims224 wrote: »
    Everything everyone else said about macros, but I would add to watch your sugar intake as well. Some people don't metabolize sugar very well and then those 100 calories treat your body differently. Having any metabolic disorder can make it harder to lose weight overall. That is really the only time I would be concerned.

Diabetics...

Metabolic disorders are rare.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

how can it not be nutrient dense without meeting macros....?????

ETA: unless of course you are equating IIFYM to elimination diets...
    It can meet ones macros and not be nutrient dense.
    In college I could have easily done a 40/30/30 split that wasn't very nutritious.