After Dinner Munchies - Cravings

Options
We normally have dinner between 6 and 7 at night. Lately I have found myself being hungry or probably craving something sweet 1 hour later. Any suggestion on what you do when you get hungry after dinner?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    We normally have dinner between 6 and 7 at night. Lately I have found myself being hungry or probably craving something sweet 1 hour later. Any suggestion on what you do when you get hungry after dinner?

Save up enough calories to have a sweet snack when you after dinner munchies hit. Nothing wrong with satisfying a craving if it fits into your daily goals.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Save up enough calories to have a sweet snack when you after dinner munchies hit. Nothing wrong with satisfying a craving if it fits into your daily goals.

Thisssss
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I always save around 100 calories for the sweet cravings late at night. Here are some of my go to craving squashers! :smile:

Diet root beer (weird one but it works and is 0 calories)
    Dove Dark chocolates...50 calories each
    SF pudding with cool whip
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my current favorite is Lugi's Italian ice. Sugar free 60 cal a cup,sugar varieties 100cal. It makes you eat it slow or get brain freeze and they are delicious
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I do have enough calories because I exercise hard every day so I have calories from Exercise, but I think that you will not loose weight if you don't clean eat.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to include a treat later.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a bar of dark chocolate where I can break off one square and have after dinner when I'm craving something sweet. I also like to put a greek yogurt in the freezer for about an hour and satisfies me when I'm craving something like ice cream. I've also made banana slices with peanut butter in between and put them in the freezer. But as long as you give yourself enough calories to have that snack, go for it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I do have enough calories because I exercise hard every day so I have calories from Exercise, but I think that you will not loose weight if you don't clean eat.

That is not true at all. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Yes, it is important to consume nutritionally dense foods that meet your macro/micronutrient needs, but you can be perfectlhy healthy and still have some treats, too.
  • Schila64
    Options
    I try to keep a bar of dark chocolate where I can break off one square and have after dinner when I'm craving something sweet. I also like to put a greek yogurt in the freezer for about an hour and satisfies me when I'm craving something like ice cream. I've also made banana slices with peanut butter in between and put them in the freezer. But as long as you give yourself enough calories to have that snack, go for it.

Thanks... good to have some ideas...

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options

WELL.........your wrong. You will end up binge eating if you don't satisfy your cravings within your calorie goal. Make a plan of attack and stick to it. 3 pieces of dove chocolate or 2 tsp of chocolate chips. Whatever you use to win your battle, just don't eat more then you plan.
    P.S. If you have so many calories left over from exercise during your day you might be having cravings because your not eating enough food. Food is nutrition.

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    A cup of herbal tea.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

No true at all. To demonstrate: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. I lost 55lbs eating chocolate everyday before bed.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My evening snack is fun size bar of chocolate, bit o honey, fruit, mints, pudding, yogurt, etc,
    Pretty much what ever I am craving. moderation. I save calories for an evening snack b.c I know when I hit my goal I am going to eat these things and I may as well learn how to fit them in.
    ps. I don't have a snack every night, only when I crave some.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    many times i'll crave sweets like crazy in the evenings and then realize later, oh I didn't have enough protein today, or when I was the last time I drank a big glass of water. it usually helps. if after eating protein I am still dying, usually on my 3rd day, I cave and have a treat. 2 vanilla wafer slabs are 130 calories. It seems like I do well on watching my carbs until day 3, but I still try to stay under the goal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just plan to have a snack in the evening usually.
    I pre-log everything so I know it fits my day.
  • Schila64
    Options
    We all know our bodies and at my age have come to understand what works for me and what doesn't . When I eat clean very clean I see the lbs drop day by day. For example: when I don't do brown rice for dinner the lbs drop faster than if I eat it. When I munch at night, even if it's inside my calorie range, the lbs drop but at a slower pace.
    But thanks for the tips.... I'm starting to believe as well, that when you pass 50 is harder for the lbs to come off.
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight as long as your calories used is larger than calories consumed. The calories may not be as useful to your body if they are "empty calories" but as long as your net calories are under your goal you'll lose weight.

Having said that if you want to eat clean then try sweet fruit such as strawberries, grapes, mangos etc. They are quite sweet and may help, turn them into ice lollies for warm evenings.

Failing that your body may be missing certain nutrients which is causing the craving.

While I was pregnant I craved some things I don't even like, and this was the explanation my doctor gave me for cravings. Sometimes the body knows better than the brain what it needs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    We all know our bodies and at my age have come to understand what works for me and what doesn't . When I eat clean very clean I see the lbs drop day by day. For example: when I don't do brown rice for dinner the lbs drop faster than if I eat it. When I munch at night, even if it's inside my calorie range, the lbs drop but at a slower pace.
    But thanks for the tips.... I'm starting to believe as well, that when you pass 50 is harder for the lbs to come off.

While it's true that our metabolisms slow with age, what you eat has absolutely no bearing on weight loss - how much is what matters.

Perhaps you are not logging as accurately as you think you are. Do you use a food scale?
  • Schila64
    Options
    Perhaps you are not logging as accurately as you think you are. Do you use a food scale?

Oh yeah...I have and use a food scale. By the way, when it comes to meats, do you weight before or after cooking. I weight the chicken that goes into my salad after cooked

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Oh yeah...I have and use a food scale. By the way, when it comes to meats, do you weight before or after cooking. I weight the chicken that goes into my salad after cooked

I usually weigh before, but I think that as long as you aren't weighing 100g of cooked chicken and putting it in your diary as 100g of raw chicken, it's fine to weigh it cooked. The water lost during cooking is going to change the weight significantly.