How do the working/busy moms and dads fit exercise in?

Options
I'm a 40 yr old mom of 3 (kids just above stroller age), after working a full time job I can't find the energy or time to exercise. Curious if anyone has ideas how to get a little bit of exercise in with kids hanging off of you.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Use naptimes, take them all out for a walk, or join a gym that provides free babysitting.
  • SME17
    SME17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I leave my children at home with their Dad and go out in the evening to yoga, circuit training etc. I enjoy the social side of classes too. I work FT and have 2 children - and 2 dogs (that need walking!).
  • DeannaM2015
    DeannaM2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work during the day when/if they nap, and I'm feeling like when I take them for a walk I'm usually starting and stopping/waiting for them and not really getting a good walk in.
    Thank you for commenting.
  • DeannaM2015
    Options
    I'm contemplating getting a dog just for the excuse to go out walking. Lol
    My husband works night shift, so I am feeling SOL.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I work night shift. Your not SOL. You just need to be concrete in your plans. Husband, you will be watching the kids every day from this time to this time. Make it one hour, not any longer. Get him used to it. You go when you said you were going to go and you be back on time.
  • DeannaM2015
    Options
    Thank you.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I commute by bike (45 minutes each way). When I can't commute by bike, I go for a run during my lunch break. If I know it can't happen, I do a workout dvd or use my spinning bike while watching netflix before everyone else is up (usually from 6 to 6:45). During weekends, I'll ride my bike with kids in the bike trailer instead of using the car and try to fit in a long hike with one kid in the stroller and the other one on my back in a carrier.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hi! My daughter is turning 2. My husband used to work nights so I started working out in my living room once my daughter was asleep. I also run on my lunch break at work.
    At first, you'll be standing in your living room at 8pm wondering what kind of crazy you are. Once your workout is done, you'll fall asleep on the couch. But then after 2 weeks of pushing through, you'll realize you're full of energy during dinner time. You still have energy to play with the kids after dinner and you look forward to working out because you know it will clear your head and you'll feel so much more relaxed afterward.
    Regular exercise helps make us better people.
  • DeannaM2015
    Options
    Thank you, I guess I'm lacking that motivation. I probably need a good kick in the rear to get me started. That's why I'm here.
  • Bctyummum
    Bctyummum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get up before he's due to wake either go running or do exercise DVDs
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old son so my only time to work out usually is to get a run in at lunchtime. Luckily my office park has a nice running trail and my office restroom has a shower in it. After work its toddler time which is its own workout :-)
  • bklyngal72
    bklyngal72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 kids granted they ate alot older then yours but still keep me busy. I work out at work for a half hour during my lunch. Then eat at my desk or have a protein shake. Then work out while they are getting ready for bed....while they take showers and get settled
  • cosettecole
    cosettecole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Full time career woman and mom of 11 yr old and 9 yr old. 5 am is my best friend. Rough for the first week then clock work. See it as treating yourself to the attention you deserve opposed to a drag getting up so early! Good luck finding something that works for you!!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am a single Mum of two young boys. I get up earlier and work out at 5.45am before they wake up - then it's done and no matter what the day throws at you it's already ticked off and helps set you up for the day. I do however have to go to bed early to be able to do this 5 days a week.
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will find a way, with no excuses. I have four kids at home right now, ages ranging 4yrs-15yrs. They are all in in sports (soccer, volleyball, football, basketball), including the 4yr old (dance/soccer). I have practices I take them to during the week, and games, during the week or the weekends. I even play indoor soccer on Sunday's/Monday's. I still make time to workout 4-5 times a day! I either wake up at 5:30am to work out before work, or I will go after work if I can squeeze in time. If not, I will work out at home in the evening. My 4yr old loves to watch, and mock me. Lol! You can do it, you just need the drive, and motivation!! Good Luck to you!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm a single dad, and have my boys weekdays during the school year. I lift weights at home after I get them set for bed. Getting a power rack and a barbell set is a bit of an up front cost, but if you stick with it, eventually there is a break even point with most gyms, other than nameless ones that tell me to shut up and have more pizza if I asked why I couldn't do deadlifts.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I go on my lunch hour or I suck it up and get a sitter for after they are in bed. I'm a single mom and I just make it work.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have four kids (12, 9, 23 months, 11 months), I work, and I'm in school. You just have to do it, treat it like a job. I get up before the kids wake up to do my main work out, depending on the day I might squeeze in something else on their nap. I work from 3pm to 10pm and I hit the sheets. Takes a lot of self discipline to go straight to bed but I know I need the sleep or I can't do it again the next day at 5am. My husband works 12 hour days and commutes an hour each way, so during the week I don't even see him - it's all me!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    off topic - that looks like Samantha Chapman in your avatar!! Is it?
  • rose8a
    rose8a Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have two little ones. I work out after they go to bed. Even if its 8 or 9pm. I work out one hour at home with different DVD's. You have to find the time to do it. I thought it was impossible with my schedule. I work full time and get up at 5:15am every morning. You can do it! Remember taking the first step towards your goals is the hardest.