Vegetarian coeliac with a sugar addiction

Options
I need help!

I need to lose 5kg (not much, I know) but I am really struggling with how much I rely on sugar. Over the years of constant stomach pain / problems triggered by IBS and coeliacs, I developed a very unhealthy tendency to just reach for a chocolate bar that I knew wouldn't trigger pain when hungry and boiled sweets when I needed a pick up of energy. This has now escalated into full blown cravings that wake me up at 2am and don't pass until I have a chocolate fix and is making me gain weight!

I think I need some rules and a strict plan to follow so that I can buy only what I need and eat from it for a few weeks until the sugar cravings pass.

I have been looking for a diet plan that I can just follow from the internet but can't seem to find anything that actually contains foods that I can eat. Can someone recommend anything to me please?

:s

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Rather than searching for a plan, why not make your own? The only real rule to weight loss is to burn more than you consume. If you've slipped up off of a strict plan, you're probably not going to do much better on a strict plan.

Maybe stock your fridge and pantry with foods you can eat and preplan your week.

(Also--while you're better off eating a larger volume of whole foods than you are eating candy bars, if you completely ban candy, you're probably going to end up having the candy anyway. But feeling guilty about it. I think you should allow it as an occasional treat.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian and celiac and now you want to cut out sugar .. wow

Personally I would swap out my chocolate for dark good quality chocolate .. take a piece, break off the tiniest piece pop it on the centre of my tongue and allow it to melt focusing on all the flavours that fill my mouth

because that is the way that chocolate is supposed to be eaten

and also eating like that 100 calories (20g) of a decent high quality chocolate (my preference is either salted caramel or the one with cranberries in it) lasts 20 minutes and up and is delightful

Also sweet berries are great - with a greek yogurt

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Vegetarian and celiac and now you want to cut out sugar .. wow

Yep. :neutral:

I don't think you need a strict plan. You're already deprived enough.

Treat yourself to a little chocolate every day or two. Enjoy a couple of pieces of fruit a day.

Life's too hard to be hard on yourself.
  • jademarriott94
    jademarriott94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried buying chocolate and sweets in mini sizes? So then you can still have the treats when you need/want them but not go overboard? It's just a case of learning to stick to the one mini bar of chocolate instead of tucking into 5 lol x
  • squidgebob
    squidgebob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had to do this for a while (Im vegetarian with reactive hypoglycemia and the Doc told me to give up gluten for a bit). I went for porridge in the morning (gluten free oats) with blueberries and cinnamon, lunch was normally some kind of quinoa salad and something like chilli and rice for tea... I ended up essentially vegan except for a bit of milk and the occassional egg. There are some good sugar free cake and cookie recipes online where you can just substitute with almond or gluten free flour. Failing that... peanut butter?
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and was diagnosed with Coeliac disease almost 5 years ago. I never really liked chocolate before, but find I eat it much more often now just because it's one of the few things that I can usually guarantee is safe! I have lost 15lbs in the last 2 months and not given up chocolate. Just work it into your calorie goal. Good luck!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian is a restrictive diet now? Not all of us like chowing down on animals and its not necessary for a healthy diet anyways. I don't feel the least bit restricted by my dietary choices. Just allow for a smaller amount of chocolate if you like it that much. I personally am not a big fan of it as it triggers migraines.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Vegetarian is a restrictive diet now? Not all of us like chowing down on animals and its not necessary for a healthy diet anyways. I don't feel the least bit restricted by my dietary choices. Just allow for a smaller amount of chocolate if you like it that much. I personally am not a big fan of it as it triggers migraines.

when you restrict an entire food group you are on a restrictive diet…

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - if you are truly a 'sugar addict" then I suggest checking yourself into treatment or joining a 12 step program…as there is no such thing as sugar addiction you probably are not a sugar addict. And before everyone starts posting rat studies please save your time as I am not going to read them; however, if you have any studies on humans showing sugar addiction feel free to post them.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

As of fellow vegetarian, yes it is a restrictive diet. I am restricting a whole bunch of food from my diet. That fits the definition to me.

Yeah restricted AND deprived apparently.

• ndj1979
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

As of fellow vegetarian, yes it is a restrictive diet. I am restricting a whole bunch of food from my diet. That fits the definition to me.

Yeah restricted AND deprived apparently.

correct.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

ummm... errrrr... yes

by definition
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and eat mostly vegan, except for the odd times when I'm out to eat or at a party since I don't know 100% what's in certain things. I'm also mostly GF. I stick to whole foods and don't usually have a problem. I eat a lot of rice, potatoes, corn pasta and fruits and veggies. I used to have a major sweet tooth, but it's gotten better as time goes on. I find things like celery, PB and raisins helps my cravings. Fruit smoothies and banana "nice" cream with chocolate chips also work. I understand that people feel your diet can be restrictive but I don't feel that way. I've enjoyed eating fruits and vegetables and creating awesome dishes without having to consume animal products. I would also search online as there are a lot of great recipes and ideas for desserts (chocolatecoveredkatie for example). Finally, if you want chocolate then eat it! Make sure it fits within your calories and you will be fine. If you look at your diet as restrictive, then it will be. Hope that helps!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    relsto wrote: »
    I need help!

I need to lose 5kg (not much, I know) but I am really struggling with how much I rely on sugar. Over the years of constant stomach pain / problems triggered by IBS and coeliacs, I developed a very unhealthy tendency to just reach for a chocolate bar that I knew wouldn't trigger pain when hungry and boiled sweets when I needed a pick up of energy. This has now escalated into full blown cravings that wake me up at 2am and don't pass until I have a chocolate fix and is making me gain weight!

I think I need some rules and a strict plan to follow so that I can buy only what I need and eat from it for a few weeks until the sugar cravings pass.

I have been looking for a diet plan that I can just follow from the internet but can't seem to find anything that actually contains foods that I can eat. Can someone recommend anything to me please?

:s
    You already have a strict plan -- GF Vegetarian
    Buy what feels right. Maybe eat eggs, baked potatoes, and rice.
    Buy beans, tofu, nuts, pumpkin seeds, lots of vegetables, some fruit.